Quote Originally Posted by CenturianSpy View Post
    Our military have had to do this many times while looking for suspected terrorists. I find this circumstance to be justified.
    Your net is cast a bit wide.

Our military have had to do this many times while looking for suspected terrorists. I find this circumstance to be justified.
    I don't recall many of the ol' war comics where the troops start picking up hats and scarves to spot a lady's hair and get a positive ID on them in any conflict. Nor any vets I work with who have such tales from the sandbox who are coming home.

Your "findings" are therefore misguided bigotry, performed only to offend a religion other than your own. i.e. bigotry.

If you're going to stick to calling for it, just own it as intolerance and hatred for its own sake, and quit wasting our time pretending it's anything else.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    So a man on the thread is telling the ladies of different faiths what is, and isn't an acceptable head covering to avoid offending him, eh?
    I assume you are referring to me, in your totally ignorant statement. My very first comment was
    As a kippah-wearing Jewish American man, I understand the desire and duty to wear a head-covering.
    Quit lying about what I said.

Or, y'know, not pretend playing fashion police on headscarves isn't just an excuse to be an intolerant wanker towards the Muslim gals who honor this tradition (and not all do).
    Again, I said:
    If it is a true 'choice', one not forced upon by family/society and not one of guilt but of true piety, then we can all easily support it. Or at least mind our own business. But to deny that these head-coverings are often used to oppress women is naive.
    You are ignorant of the various traditions. Your intolerance and tolerance comes from your ignorance. But, keep on putting words in my mouths or willfully misinterpreting my clearly-stated ideas trying to show how great you are. You look foolish.
    Team Photo & Silver Surfer Flash Mob

SHSO Name: Gallant Centurion Spy

CBR/SHSO Player Directory

If you want your squad name added to the CBR/SHSO player directory or our wiki let me know!

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Clearly, based on your generalization comments, this wasn't your only focus. Again you said:
    This clearly shows your assumption that this modern day practice is normal.
    She is here in the United States of America and it's her First Amendment Right. The fact that she is considering not wearing it for reasons of personal safety means it is her choice to wear hajib. But the difference is some lunatic is forcing her to consider changing. It would be different someone had recognized her as a fellow Muslim and threatened her for not wearing one.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 12-13-2016 at 12:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Your net is cast a bit wide.
    She used the word "ever". I showed that her absolute is wrong.

I don't recall many of the ol' war comics where the troops start picking up hats and scarves to spot a lady's hair and get a positive ID on them in any conflict. Nor any vets I work with who have such tales from the sandbox who are coming home.

Your "findings" are therefore misguided bigotry, performed only to offend a religion other than your own. i.e. bigotry.

If you're going to stick to calling for it, just own it as intolerance and hatred for its own sake, and quit wasting our time pretending it's anything else.
    Google it. I'm sure you'll easily find dozens of articles of terrorists trying to escape dressed as women. You'll probably find some pictures, too.

Then again, you probably know everything.

If you want your squad name added to the CBR/SHSO player directory or our wiki let me know!

Google it. I'm sure you'll easily find dozens of articles of terrorists trying to escape dressed as women. You'll probably find some pictures, too. Then again, you probably know everything.
    That's not how these things work, you see. YOU provide links to stories of it being true, from reliable sources. We're not going on a snipe hunt that you claim will prove you're not just an Islamophobic bigot about this headscarf nonsense (that you don't feel a terrorist could disguise themselves as say, a nun, or any other woman in a hat or scarf).

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    She is here in the United States of America and it's her First Amendment Right. The fact that she is considering not wearing it for reasons of personal safety means it is her choice to wear hajib. But the difference is some lunatic is forcing her to consider changing. It would be different someone had recognized her as a fellow Muslim and threatened her for not wearing one.
    I agree she has the right to wear anything. Again, those who removed her head-covering should be arrested, tried, and convicted. I also have said she should be able to sue in civil court and be awarded damages (because her Civil Rights were violated).

Religious "lunatics" are the ones that forced the woman of their cultures to wear these head-coverings. Now, it is just accepted as something that has always been done. It is a shame that anyone would be persecuted for their religious attire, it is a bigger shame that some "religious" attire is used to oppress people.

That's not how these things work, you see. YOU provide links to stories of it being true, from reliable sources. We're not going on a snipe hunt that you claim will prove you're not just an Islamophobic bigot about this headscarf nonsense (that you don't feel a terrorist could disguise themselves as say, a nun, or any other woman in a hat or scarf).
    So... 'Prove you're not an Islamophobic' & 'it never happened from all my anecdotal knowledge' is your intellectual discourse?

Stay ignorant.

BANNED

I saw that this morning

as a wrestling fan

haaaahahahahaaaaaaaa

any reasonable person sees the cut on that footage

nice explosion tho

kudos to the pyro crew

So... 'Prove you're not an Islamophobic' & 'it never happened from all my anecdotal knowledge' is your intellectual discourse?

Stay ignorant.
    If you can't present the facts that you claim exist, but refuse to share with us, you're just trying to put us on.

Put up or shut up. And if you can't put up, it would mean your only reason for suggesting a headscarf ban helps fight terrorists is based in your own fear, paranoia, and intolerance.

This would be your third chance to present such "facts".

BANNED

Since many cultures encourage/force women to cover their heads it's not a race issue. It's naive to think that this type of brain-washing didn't happen or isn't currently happening. Countries censor images of women without head-coverings and often criminalize any discussion about women not wearing head-coverings. Your comments are ridiculous and naive.
    You brought up a specific subset of cultures and races when you specified "women of Middle Eastern descent" as the ones where religious dress is a bad thing.

Personally, I'm an anti-Theist and would be glad if all religions and their baked in misogynies went away tomorrow. But these women are brought up in these religions and cultures and you're not going to convince them they shouldn't wear head-coverings anymore than you'll convince the men they should eat pork. If you gave them a choice, almost all of them would choose to wear it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Hopkins View Post
    You brought up a specific subset of cultures and races when you specified "women of Middle Eastern descent" as the ones where religious dress is a bad thing.

Personally, I'm an anti-Theist and would be glad if all religions and their baked in misogynies went away tomorrow. But these women are brought up in these religions and cultures and you're not going to convince them they shouldn't wear head-coverings anymore than you'll convince the men they should eat pork. If you gave them a choice, almost all of them would choose to wear it.
    But it isn't a choice. AND, who has the right to give them this 'choice'? The majority of Jewish people (I'll throw in Catholics & Protestants & Mormons, too) no longer cover their heads (except in our religious buildings and ceremonies), so I find it hard to believe that "almost all" Muslim women would wear head-covering if it was a 'choice'. That 1979 hijab-protest also tells me this.

Forcing head-coverings via threat of jail, death, disownment, or exile is no better than conversion-therapy.

BANNED

I agree she has the right to wear anything. Again, those who removed her head-covering should be arrested, tried, and convicted. I also have said she should be able to sue in civil court and be awarded damages (because her Civil Rights were violated).

Religious "lunatics" are the ones that forced the woman of their cultures to wear these head-coverings. Now, it is just accepted as something that has always been done. It is a shame that anyone would be persecuted for their religious attire, it is a bigger shame that some "religious" attire is used to oppress people.
    I suppose we can agree here, but the argument for religious equality/ freedom is a bit advanced a discussion in a country where people think there's a state religion. We've been pushed back way farther than that level of discourse by our new majority party.

Mighty Member

By "obnoxious PC culture", you of course mean people critical of someone who would call all Mexicans rapists, and want a religious test for all people to see if they're Muslim so they can be banned from the country as some paranoid measure to stop terrorism.

Yeah, let's put a stop to that sort of sanity, right?
    I said it before and will say it again: Political Correctness usually boils down to Basic Civility towards people Not Like You.