Quote Originally Posted by Baseman View Post
    Just because you interpreted it as violent doesnt make that so.And faming it as such is highly irresponsible especially in the current climate.

Yes the guy needs to word his statements more carefully. But that doesn't change the fact that his statement was made out to be worse than it is.In a time that really doesn't need more fear morging
    Dude, /torches and pitchforks/ are symbolic of violent revolution. That's what it /IS/. Everything starts with the mainstreaming of language like this. Then people start defending it, saying he didn't really mean it, etc. This is the same pattern that allowed Trump to defy his many ridiculous, misogynistic and racist tirades.

I see, we shouldn't interpret anything said by politicians as to be taken at actual face value. They're all just joshing when they're calling for violent revolution, locking up their political opponents, calling for bans on entire religious groups entering the country, and stripping people of their civil rights. Just go about your business, and don't hold them accountable for it.

How about "No, they need to be called out for being as bats*** crazy as they are, and held accountable for the clear and direct effects of that kind of rhetoric."
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    I am, indeed, bothered about that. Along with a lot of other Americans who are going to be in for a rude awakening when Obamacare and its subsidies get yanked.
    Oh boy, people being denied coverage and dying because of "pre-existing conditions" is so frikkin' hysterical. (Ugh...)

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    Oh boy, people being denied coverage and dying because of "pre-existing conditions" is so frikkin' hysterical. (Ugh...)
    It's only 22 million people's insurance! That's like, what, 1 in 12 Americans?

I'm sure it won't be anybody I know who gets boned.

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    Yep! Most of the Portland protests have been peaceful too, but there's always gonna be some jerks.

Joint Statement from California Legislative Leaders on Result of Presidential Election

http://sd24.senate.ca.gov/news/2016-...ntial-election

Wednesday, November 09, 2016
    SACRAMENTO – California Senate President pro Tempore Kevin de León (D-Los Angeles) and California Assembly Speaker Anthony Rendon (D-Paramount) released the following statement on the results of the President election:

Today, we woke up feeling like strangers in a foreign land, because yesterday Americans expressed their views on a pluralistic and democratic society that are clearly inconsistent with the values of the people of California.

We have never been more proud to be Californians.

By a margin in the millions, Californians overwhelmingly rejected politics fueled by resentment, bigotry, and misogyny.

The largest state of the union and the strongest driver of our nation’s economy has shown it has its surest conscience as well.

California is – and must always be – a refuge of justice and opportunity for people of all walks, talks, ages and aspirations – regardless of how you look, where you live, what language you speak, or who you love.

California has long set an example for other states to follow. And California will defend its people and our progress. We are not going to allow one election to reverse generations of progress at the height of our historic diversity, scientific advancement, economic output, and sense of global responsibility.

We will be reaching out to federal, state and local officials to evaluate how a Trump Presidency will potentially impact federal funding of ongoing state programs, job-creating investments reliant on foreign trade, and federal enforcement of laws affecting the rights of people living in our state. We will maximize the time during the presidential transition to defend our accomplishments using every tool at our disposal.

While Donald Trump may have won the presidency, he hasn’t changed our values. America is greater than any one man or party. We will not be dragged back into the past. We will lead the resistance to any effort that would shred our social fabric or our Constitution.

California was not a part of this nation when its history began, but we are clearly now the keeper of its future.
    Times I am glad I live in this State. But I worry about people in other parts of the country.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    Dude, /torches and pitchforks/ are symbolic of violent revolution. That's what it /IS/. Everything starts with the mainstreaming of language like this. Then people start defending it, saying he didn't really mean it, etc. This is the same pattern that allowed Trump to defy his many ridiculous, misogynistic and racist tirades.
    What I'm saying is think about what the guy could have actually meant rather than assuming the worst Yes the pitchfork and d torches part was unnecessary. Maybe if he knew that his statement was going to be blowed up on social media he would have chose his words more carefully. But assuming the worst from the get isn't helping.
    Last edited by Baseman; 11-11-2016 at 04:09 AM.

It's not assuming the worst. It's what he actually said. And there is a /lot/ of that rhetoric coming from that side of the political equation. This was not an isolated, easily misconstrued statement. It was part of a pattern of incendiary, revolutionary rhetoric that the political right is seeped in when it doesn't get its way. I understand wanting to give someone the benefit of the doubt, but people who use extreme rhetoric must be held accountable.

Quote Originally Posted by Baseman View Post
    What I'm saying is think about what the guy could have actually meant rather than assuming the worst Yes the pitchfork and d torches part was unnecessary. Maybe if he knew that his statement was going to be blowed up on social media he would have chose his words more carefully. But assuming the worst from the get isn't helping.
    He's an elected official with a LONG HISTORY of making inflammatory statements that blew up on social media. If you're the sheriff of a major county, you're supposed to have public relations training to continue to say all the right things to the community to, y'know, uphold the peace. His statement was precisely, and obviously DELIBERATELY the opposite of that. You can't just excuse that away.

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    He's an elected official with a LONG HISTORY of making inflammatory statements that blew up on social media. If you're the sheriff of a major county, you're supposed to have public relations training to continue to say all the right things to the community to, y'know, uphold the peace. His statement was precisely, and obviously DELIBERATELY the opposite of that. You can't just excuse that away.
    This too.

/10 chars.

It's been fun. Toodles. Paradox's Avatar

Tendrin has it:

You have a high opinion of yourself to think it actually bothers me.
    Internet trolls always seem to mistake rolling your eyes at their stupidity for anger. That's always baffled me.
    'Dox out.

"It’s cold and it’s mean-spirited and I don’t like it here anymore." - Alan Moore

"Can it, you nit!" - Violet Beauregard

"And Paradox is never correct. About anything."- Kid Omega

The Conclave group page on Primus (a work in progress)
    Champions: The Conclave (an updating Facebook Gallery)
    Decorum & Friends (A City of Heroes archive)

Quote Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
    Internet trolls always seem to mistake rolling your eyes at their stupidity for anger. That's always baffled me.
    They exist in a world where giving a crap about things is a sign of weakness that can only result in 'u mad bro?!' Empathy and caring are weak, womanly things after all!

It's been fun. Toodles. Paradox's Avatar

Baseman needs a primer:

Just because you interpreted it as violent doesnt make that so.
    If you don't think "torches and pitchforks" is violent rhetoric, you're not fluent in English.
    'Dox out.

"It’s cold and it’s mean-spirited and I don’t like it here anymore." - Alan Moore

"Can it, you nit!" - Violet Beauregard

"And Paradox is never correct. About anything."- Kid Omega

The Conclave group page on Primus (a work in progress)
    Champions: The Conclave (an updating Facebook Gallery)
    Decorum & Friends (A City of Heroes archive)

BANNED

trump honestly believes all protesters are just mindless plants hired by the media to make him look terrible