Quote Originally Posted by ouroboros View Post
    The only way in which the German Nazi/American conservative comparison is fair is when a particular conservative has waved around a swastika or quoted Hitler. Otherwise. if you're going to make comparisons based on general actions, then it's just as fair to apply the comparison to liberals who take the same actions. Frankly, most of the ideas of modern "book burning"-- and that includes the jerk who makes the (probably) idle threat in the video-- accord less with the general program of the Nazis than beating up detractors. And can we find both conservatives and liberals who have done this very thing? Why, yes, we can.

The "mouth-breathing conservatives" was directed at the same poster who used the term "popular comparison narrative," so I wasn't precisely pulling it out of nowhere.

You're making too much of the "impressive" remark. I'm just stating that I had already qualified my own example-- that of the fans who burned Captain American magazines-- by saying that they didn't have much in common with the sort of people who are trying to make certain books unavailable (like, again, the mostly liberal Wertham). That is, since I'd already made that statement, your statement didn't contradict mine.
    Your defense of your strawman isn't that "impressive" as pointing out that it was aimed at someone else doesn't respond to the fact that you made it up wholecloth as an excuse for bringing up that there are some book burning numbnuts on the liberal side of things.

To respond to the point you seem to be trying to make: The problem with Both Sideserism is that the vast majority of liberals aren't defending their numbnuts while on the other side conservatives always defend theirs (American Nazi's included) long past the point of sanity, and that in this case there is a much larger number of conservatives burning books for silly (Potter) and deadly serious (Quran) reasons than liberals. An issue I have with that philosophy myself is when someone's response to something unacceptable is to simply bring up how others they disagree with do it too rather than to condemn it and/or try to work against it, it's a sign of society breaking down. Accepting the bad shit 'your side' does because the other side does it too isn't healthy as it leads to more corruption, division, and chaos, and it's something everyone has to learn to realize regardless of how they lean politically. If America and Humanity as a whole are to survive in the long run we've got to grasp these sorts of basic concepts. This has been more serious of a response than you deserve, but when I get typing sometimes I get carried away.

Regarding Antifa v. Nazis: "Both sides are equally bad." How can that possibly be true when Antifa isn't a political movement, has no centralised leadership, does not run candidates, and doesn't seek to influence government policy beyond "don't be fascists?" I mean one side is trying to become the government, and the other is saying, "No, these guys suck, don't be like these guys. Nazis are bad. Also, punch them."
    You're like Witches in Salem. Just fuel for my fire.

Quote Originally Posted by Tazirai View Post
    "The only two types of people who take the Bible Literally are Fundamentalists and Politicians running for office, because Atheists know those type of people are dangerous."

Agreed. They can't live by the whole thing, so they like only the parts they want too.
    People who take every word in the bible literally need to learn the extinct languages it was printed in and read it without centuries of translations by man diluting the divine message. It's the only way to get at the true word of God after all.

People who pick and choose what to hold literally true on the other hand, I think that's more people unable to suspend their disbelief on certain points. If your faith is shaken by the literal passages of the bible, then I'd rethink said faith. I know I did.

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

So in other Trump Administration-related news...

Interior Secretary Zinke blames the department's proposal to raise park prices on the veterans, elderly and disabled individuals for getting free admission. How dare they!

“When you give discounted [rates] to the elderly, veterans, and the disabled and do it by the carload, not a whole lot of people actually pay at our front door,” Zinke told the Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee, Washington Examiner reports. “One person with a pass and everyone comes in for free. We are looking at ways to have more revenue at the front door at our parks.”

Meanwhile, Katrina Pierson, bullet necklace lady, has been asked to rejoin the Trump Campaign as a senior adviser. Oh boy...

The Parks are a National Treasure, they are not a money making operation. Leave it to the GOP to think everything but the Military has to turn a profit.
    Last edited by Kirby101; 03-13-2018 at 03:20 PM.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Jesus, a conservative hears that someone is getting something for free, and they just clench their fists until blood drips from them.
    You're like Witches in Salem. Just fuel for my fire.

Quote Originally Posted by kidfresh512 View Post
    Oh lord saw the clips of trump at the "wall prototypes" today talking about they need to be see through so we can see the other side. Might be cartels over there we need to see them.

And talking about how border crosser are like professional mountain climbers need to be higher to make sure they cant just hop on over.

The jokes are writing themselves on this California trip so far
    Saw a joke one one of the morning shows, that had mimes building the invisible wall.

Personally, I only hope this ends with someone inventing transparent aluminum. And then not letting them buy it for the Wall.

Fantastic Member

Russian exile found dead in London

Putin getting his revenge!!! dang. Exiles beware

Rebel that Rebels BeastieRunner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JCAll View Post
    Saw a joke one one of the morning shows, that had mimes building the invisible wall.

Personally, I only hope this ends with someone inventing transparent aluminum. And then not letting them buy it for the Wall.
    When Scotty finally learns how to use a 1980s computer, we'll be okay.

"Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome men don't lose fights View Post
    Regarding Antifa v. Nazis: "Both sides are equally bad." How can that possibly be true when Antifa isn't a political movement, has no centralised leadership, does not run candidates, and doesn't seek to influence government policy beyond "don't be fascists?" I mean one side is trying to become the government, and the other is saying, "No, these guys suck, don't be like these guys. Nazis are bad. Also, punch them."
    Antifa is also mainly anarchist, so they're not going to be running for office.

https://www.vox.com/2017/8/25/161890...bray-interview

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome men don't lose fights View Post
    Jesus, a conservative hears that someone is getting something for free, and they just clench their fists until blood drips from them.
    It isn't free. The money's gotta come from somewhere.

This doesn't mean that it's a bad idea to subsidize the National Parks.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Ultimate Member

Wait, wait...when are we going to Mars? And will it be more like Killraven Mars or J'onn J'onz Mars?

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Someone needs to tell Donnie Dumbass that the same tunnels Mexican cartels used to shuttle drugs into the country for decades can serve the same purpose to sneak people in. No climbing required.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Someone needs to tell Donnie Dumbass that the same tunnels Mexican cartels used to shuttle drugs into the country for decades can serve the same purpose to sneak people in. No climbing required.
    Or not.

Just let the difference the wall doesn't make go ahead and speak for itself(assuming the wall going up ever actually happens).

Quote Originally Posted by Tazirai View Post
    The NRA is doign what they can to make the kids go away. They aren't. They are also going to keep at it. They were violated in a place that should feel safe from threat of death. How do they not understand this? Hardening Schools is not the solution.

That old saying should be adjusted to say...

"The only two types of people who take the Bible Literally are Fundamentalists and Politicians running for office, because Atheists know those type of people are dangerous."

Agreed. They can't live by the whole thing, so they like only the parts they want too.

Agreed. These kids should not be throwing themselves in front of High Powered Weapons to save their friends at Schools. Period!
    The point I was making is that atheists assume that all religious people take the Bible literally, so if they just prove that the Bible couldn't possibly be literally true, then that will convince everyone that God doesn't exist. But what atheists don't get is that most of us know that the Bible is not meant to be taken literally. I read it the same way I read Aesop's Fables. They're good stories that use fantastic elements to illustrate morals that we should all live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I don't know....last night they were saying that Lamb has been leading in the polls. If anything, it made the RNC spend 10 million there on what should have been a shoe in.
    To me, the interesting component there is how well Drew Miller(Libertarian) winds up doing tonight. He has sort of been lost in the "Versus" component of this particular race. While it might not be a larger indicator, any insight into how well third parties are doing is probably worth taking into account.