http://time.com/4268325/history-calling-women-shrill/

In a 1926 survey about talk radio, a ratio of 100 to 1 respondents preferred male hosts to female hosts. Women, these respondents complained, sounded “shrill” and conveyed “too much” personality. Ninety years later, and the battle rages on, word for word. Many unapologetically vociferous male politicians and pundits have lately said that Hillary Clinton’s raised voice during speeches somehow registers as, yes, “shrill” and simply “too much.”
    'Shrill' has a specific cultural connotation about sexism, Lancerman. You can argue until you're blue in the face that this isn't what you meant but it won't change a thing about the broader context you say it in where Hillary does, in fact, face criticism for being 'shrill' in a vastly sexist way.

Yet we’ve also seen what happens when Clinton does lighten up and laugh: she gets slammed for her “cackle.” It’s a classic case of the “double bind” for women in leadership. As Jay Newton-Small writes in TIME, “words like shrill, caterwauling, shrieking, yowling and screeching are all associated with women — not men.”
    The rest of us have seen this first hand, playing out in the media or in the personal lives of women we know.

BANNED

This is terrible. This is a true conspiracy. The corruption is rampant. How is it that the richest nation in the world, allows this to happen?

http://www.theguardian.com/environme...n-philadelphia

At least 33 US cities used water testing 'cheats' over lead concerns.

Being from Philly I'm sad to see my city on this list. These are the real conspiracy theories that I'm glad come to light.
    The worst thing is that I have to get this information, not from the US media, but foreign media.
    Online media, foreign media does a much better job at giving me the information I need. American network/cable media fails daily.

Quote Originally Posted by Tazirai View Post
    This is terrible. This is a true conspiracy. The corruption is rampant. How is it that the richest nation in the world, allows this to happen?

http://www.theguardian.com/environme...n-philadelphia

At least 33 US cities used water testing 'cheats' over lead concerns.

Being from Philly I'm sad to see my city on this list. These are the real conspiracy theories that I'm glad come to light.
    The worst thing is that I have to get this information, not from the US media, but foreign media.
    Online media, foreign media does a much better job at giving me the information I need. American network/cable media fails daily.
    Just another example of our underfunded, aging infrastructure not being dealt with appropriately and people not wanting to rock the boat.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    Wasn't making an argument. I felt your attitude perfectly encapsulates that feeling of letting perfect be the enemy of good. Democratic policies have helped a lot of people, sometimes in spite of the Democrats. But tossing them away in the name of ideological purity is your choice. If you're comfortable throwing people to the wolves, don't blame those of us who aren't making the same choice you are.
    This post perfectly encapsulates how much you don't get it or do get and are trying to be misleading. I don't care about the choices you make. I don't really care about you, or Shawn, or any of the people supporting Hillary enough to really care if you vote or whatever. I've stated my issues for not liking Hillary and not voting for her. I didn't blame you for anything. You and likeminded people got offended that me and others said we weren't voting for Hillary and it started an argument. Now you are trying to turn that into some victim mentality where because I said I didn't like a candidate, you (and others questioned it), I further stated my reasons more bluntly, and now you feel like you were ever questioned or judged at all. I don't never have, and never ill care who you support in this race. You cared enough about what I said to turn it into a debate/argument. You don't get to turn around after that and act like you were the party being questioned. It's borderline masturbatory hypocrisy.

As far as policies that help people. Yeah some Democratic policies have helped people. For that matter some Republican policies have as well, people really loved Bush's tax cuts when they got them. It's on a macro scale. Economic policy. You can trace the continued mistakes that have led us into the situation we are in. Foreign policy, I somehow really don't think either Clinton or Trump is going to do the only thing that actually makes sense in all our affairs in the Middle East. Hell, just today, Clinton basically doubled down on supporting Israel. I mean sorry hard to think Clinton's going to do anything to reign in the Patriot act when Obama, who is to the left of her, expanded it.

Also it's kind of hypocritical to say I'm the one who believes in throwing people to the wolves when I'm arguing for candidates who are against the policies that led to the biggest gap in prosperity in this countries history and policies that leads to millions in America and around the world dying in pointless wars. So who's really throwing people to the wolves? From where I stand, looks like you because you are terrified of big scary Trump.

It's short term vs long term. At some point you kind of have to stop looking at short term fixes and realize that you might want to deal with the 30 year trend, which is causing more problems.

Quote Originally Posted by lancerman View Post
    This post perfectly encapsulates how much you don't get it or do get and are trying to be misleading. I don't care about the choices you make. I don't really care about you, or Shawn, or any of the people supporting Hillary enough to really care if you vote or whatever. I've stated my issues for not liking Hillary and not voting for her. I didn't blame you for anything. You and likeminded people got offended that me and others said we weren't voting for Hillary and it started an argument. Now you are trying to turn that into some victim mentality where because I said I didn't like a candidate, you (and others questioned it), I further stated my reasons more bluntly, and now you feel like you were ever questioned or judged at all. I don't never have, and never ill care who you support in this race. You cared enough about what I said to turn it into a debate/argument. You don't get to turn around after that and act like you were the party being questioned. It's borderline masturbatory hypocrisy.

As far as policies that help people. Yeah some Democratic policies have helped people. For that matter some Republican policies have as well, people really loved Bush's tax cuts when they got them. It's on a macro scale. Economic policy. You can trace the continued mistakes that have led us into the situation we are in. Foreign policy, I somehow really don't think either Clinton or Trump is going to do the only thing that actually makes sense in all our affairs in the Middle East. Hell, just today, Clinton basically doubled down on supporting Israel. I mean sorry hard to think Clinton's going to do anything to reign in the Patriot act when Obama, who is to the left of her, expanded it.

Also it's kind of hypocritical to say I'm the one who believes in throwing people to the wolves when I'm arguing for candidates who are against the policies that led to the biggest gap in prosperity in this countries history and policies that leads to millions in America and around the world dying in pointless wars. So who's really throwing people to the wolves? From where I stand, looks like you because you are terrified of big scary Trump.

It's short term vs long term. At some point you kind of have to stop looking at short term fixes and realize that you might want to deal with the 30 year trend, which is causing more problems.
    I really think you do care. Otherwise you wouldn't have written a long post trying to absolve yourself of whatever potential damage the GOP would do if they took the White House and kept both Houses of Congress. In the short term, people will be hurt. People will die. And that is unacceptable to me.

You're letting a "purity test" be the enemy of the scant amount of progress that has been made by Obama. Quoting Confucius, "Better a diamond with a flaw than a pebble without."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    Just another example of our underfunded, aging infrastructure not being dealt with appropriately and people not wanting to rock the boat.
    Whats worse, though Is how widespread is this EXACTLY?

I mean in North Carolina our idjit Governor has decided to lower regulations in the state for more corporate tax loopholes, even AFTER the worst Coal ash spill in the states history.
    These guys don't need the Illuminati to do their dirty work. they do it in our faces. This **** pisses me off so bad. yet people only get upset AFTER the fact, to before it. That's why I want him gone this fall.
    I voted for McCrory in 2008, when I voted for Obama because back then McCrory did amazing things for charlotte. Never voting for a Rethuglican ever again. Snakes all of them.

Instead Of Cleaning Up Coal Ash Sites, North Carolina Legislators Want To ‘Bail Out’ Duke Energy

North Carolina’s biggest utility has 14 different coal ash storage sites in the state, and none of them are safe.
    That means the chemicals and heavy metals — including mercury and arsenic — in coal ash, a byproduct of burning coal for power generation can leach into local water supplies. The safety issue was demonstrated in dramatic fashion a few years ago, when a coal ash storage pond ruptured, sending millions of gallons of poisonous sludge into North Carolina’s Dan River.
    http://thinkprogress.org/climate/201...rinking-water/

Quote Originally Posted by Tazirai View Post
    Whats worse, though Is how widespread is this EXACTLY?

I mean in North Carolina our idjit Governor has decided to lower regulations in the state for more corporate tax loopholes, even AFTER the worst Coal ash spill in the states history.
    These guys don't need the Illuminati to do their dirty work. they do it in our faces. This **** pisses me off so bad. yet people only get upset AFTER the fact, to before it. That's why I want him gone this fall.
    I voted for McCrory in 2008, when I voted for Obama because back then McCrory did amazing things for charlotte. Never voting for a Rethuglican ever again. Snakes all of them.

Instead Of Cleaning Up Coal Ash Sites, North Carolina Legislators Want To ‘Bail Out’ Duke Energy

http://thinkprogress.org/climate/201...rinking-water/
    I do love me some Think Progress.

And probably far more widespread than we want to know. I mean, I want to know, but.. xD

BANNED

I really think you do care. Otherwise you wouldn't have written a long post trying to absolve yourself of whatever potential damage the GOP would do if they took the White House and kept both Houses of Congress. In the short term, people will be hurt. People will die. And that is unacceptable to me.

You're letting a "purity test" be the enemy of the scant amount of progress that has been made by Obama. Quoting Confucius, "Better a diamond with a flaw than a pebble without."
    Did I ever once tell or ask you to change your vote? Did I ever once ever criticize your choice to vote for Hillary EXCEPT as a direct response to you either question my logic in not supporting her? No not really. In fact if you weren't interjecting yourself into this, I wouldn't have ever even conversed with you. I don't really give one solitary **** who you support or have any care that you do it. It's actually coming off as very self involved. I know you care what I think, because you respond and argue with it every chance you get, and now you are playing victim when I answer those responses.

As far as a purity test. It's not really a purity test when he expanded the Patriot act and let the culprits of the economic collapse get off without a trial, or reaffirms that certain billionaires are too big to fail when he bails them out. Those are extremely significant things. Like future students who study U.S. and economic policy will discuss the implications of those for many years. It seems like your purity test is "does he have an R or D next to his name" as opposed to "what are his or her policies".

And the Confucius quote only really works if you have a diamond to point to. You really don't. You have two pebbles and one is a little less ugly looking.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Well considering Trump's policies will be whatever the Republicans want come November and beyond , then no ...its not worth the risk. People can be hurt coming ahead. Its not like everyone is gonna be perfect as President and Obama certainly wasn't. But did he do the best possible job and do what was needed as leader ? Yes....and yes people have new found freedoms and more. Which can be taken right away.

As a FB friend posted , people you can either let some petty **** with Bernie Sanders stand in the way but the Supreme Court is too much an issue to **** up. Its time to grow the hell up and accept there are people out there that can be hurt.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    As a FB friend posted , people you can either let some petty **** with Bernie Sanders stand in the way but the Supreme Court is too much an issue to **** up. Its time to grow the hell up and accept there are people out there that can be hurt.
    Trying to change a system that is bought and paid for strictly for the purpose of sucking the blood out of Joe/Jane Public is not "Petty". To try to change a system that feeds Joe/Jane Public into a meat grinder of war for no reason at all is not "Petty".

That someone would even phrase it that way is depressing.

As for that people can be hurt, it's time to think about that people are already being hurt and worse. Going along with that paradigm because of what you might stand to lose is exactly what the people who benefit from it want to happen.

Did I ever once tell or ask you to change your vote? Did I ever once ever criticize your choice to vote for Hillary EXCEPT as a direct response to you either question my logic in not supporting her? No not really. In fact if you weren't interjecting yourself into this, I wouldn't have ever even conversed with you. I don't really give one solitary **** who you support or have any care that you do it. It's actually coming off as very self involved. I know you care what I think, because you respond and argue with it every chance you get, and now you are playing victim when I answer those responses.

As far as a purity test. It's not really a purity test when he expanded the Patriot act and let the culprits of the economic collapse get off without a trial, or reaffirms that certain billionaires are too big to fail when he bails them out. Those are extremely significant things. Like future students who study U.S. and economic policy will discuss the implications of those for many years. It seems like your purity test is "does he have an R or D next to his name" as opposed to "what are his or her policies".

And the Confucius quote only really works if you have a diamond to point to. You really don't. You have two pebbles and one is a little less ugly looking.
    That "little less ugly" is a lot of people who will be able to live because of things like Obamacare. Who will be able to have some dignity by the Federal Government not passing anti-LGBT legislation.

You can vote however you want. But don't pretend you're taking the moral high ground because many would suffer under GOP rule that they otherwise wouldn't have to.

The quotes I have used have fit the situation perfectly.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    Well considering Trump's policies will be whatever the Republicans want come November and beyond , then no ...its not worth the risk. People can be hurt coming ahead. Its not like everyone is gonna be perfect as President and Obama certainly wasn't. But did he do the best possible job and do what was needed as leader ? Yes....and yes people have new found freedoms and more. Which can be taken right away.

See this is the conceit you have that because you bought into the two party system and out of some apparent fear that if you all don't vote in lockstep the crazy evil Republicans will make destroy the country or something stupid that I need to be dragged into that.

Let's be honest here, people are getting hurt regardless. Obama is continuing Bush's shitty wars and in many cases making it worse (and Hillary's a bigger war hawk than him), he took a economy that had nowhere to go but up after the bubble burst and it's still trending in the wrong direction as far as wage equality (and the Clinton administration contributed to that bubble). As far as the Supreme Court, if the Democrats win the Presidential election, the Republicans will just rush and nominate Garland who is a conservative anyways and was always dumb choice.

Also as far as new found freedoms, if you are talking about gay marriage, that was happening with or without Obama (in fact he didn't even really support it until well after it became apparent what the trend was). ACA I'll give you. That's literally the only real compelling argument anybody has made. The dirty little secret however is, it's political suicide for the Republicans to repeal it without finding something that provides at least the same amount of coverage to replace it. And they know it.

So like I said before, feel free to vote for whoever you want. Me personally, fuckem both. I'm not being complicit in all the innocent lives (many of that children) for the drone strikes Trump and Hillary will continue, the continued imperialism of the United States, all the countless lives we waste in pointless wars, the continued erosion of the middle class and giving Wall Street and big banks whatever they want, the continued lack of transparency in government, etc, etc. For me no thanks.

It's a matter of perspective. For you I'm leaving people to the wolves out of not wanting to play the game. To me you're leaving people to the wolves because you are willing to play it. I'm fully aware that this mentality will win out. I just have no faith that in 4 to 8 years we will be in better shape. But feel free to think differently and vote however you like, just don't ask me to.

Seriously.

What is going on now is no diamond.

"Wah, I don't have anything to vote for!"

I guess, looking at all the states currently doing things like anti-transgender and LGBT laws, all the people suffering due to lack of access to expanded Medicaid, overtime and environmental regulations, the behind the scenes changes to payday lenders, corporate inversions, and more really just don't count. We shouldn't bother to protect them.

I don't see how anyone can look at the abject insanity going on in places under Republican rule in this country and then say 'I have nothing to vote for!'.

BANNED

That "little less ugly" is a lot of people who will be able to live because of things like Obamacare. Who will be able to have some dignity by the Federal Government not passing anti-LGBT legislation.

You can vote however you want. But don't pretend you're taking the moral high ground because many would suffer under GOP rule that they otherwise wouldn't have to.

The quotes I have used have fit the situation perfectly.
    And thousands/millions of people will die when Hillary Clinton or Donald Trump continue the exact same archaic foreign policy agenda that has led us into pointless wars and opened us up to terrorists who want us out of there, and thousands/millions more will be further marginalized as poverty and economic in equality continue to grow at the same rates they have been. So don't pretend you're taking the moral high ground either.

And you're quotes are stupid, because you have no way to quantify what is a stone and isn't a pebble. Like I said it's macro vs micro. When Bush was still President the country was becoming more progressive as far as LGBT rights. Had nothing to do with the President. It's something that is continuing. Hell at this point it's not even sustainable for the GOP to be against it for much longer, they want that issue to go away.

You are free to have your opinion. I just don't agree with it.