Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Spectacular Member Puppetmaker Grae's Avatar

Default All-purpose news and politics thread: Two Steps Beyond!

The thread for discussing exactly what it says in the title. Let's get to it CBR!

After 25 years as BBC Newsnight's chief rottweiler, Jeremy Paxman is retiring.

Politicians across the UK breathe a sigh of relief.

Commons continues to throw a fit over the Royal Mail sell-off, as the hedge fund involvement turns out to be worse than previously thought. And quite right too, what a **** up.

I hope "rottweiler-in-chief" was his actual job title. I want to live in that world.

BANNED
    Last edited by Lax; 06-04-2016 at 10:39 AM.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lax View Post
    I'll admit it, I watched about 5 minutes and then gave up. Can anyone tell me if this vid addresses violence committed by Trump supportors?

Newly released Trump testimony on Trump University could trigger video deposition battle

The newly-filed transcripts of portions of Trump's testimony provide more fodder for Clinton and others charging that Trump University took advantage of people in financial straits looking to make quick cash.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Delegate Update: The latest count in the Democratic race

THE TOTAL

Clinton: 2,316

Sanders: 1,547

Clinton needs 67 delegates to reach the 2,383 needed to win.

Sanders needs 836 delegates to clinch the nomination.
    OUTSTANDING

These are the pledged delegates to be chosen in upcoming races and the superdelegates who have yet to commit to either Clinton or Sanders.

Pledged: 781

Superdelegates: 121
    Excluding Super Delegates, Clinton could, in theory, clinch the nomination if she won 79% of the remaining Pledged Delegates.
    Sanders would need 113%, which is impossible.

Clinton isn't going to get 79%, but she should average somewhere between 50% and 70%, probably closer to 60%.
    Last edited by Tami; 06-04-2016 at 11:17 AM.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

There is no way for Sanders to win that many delegates in these last primaries. None, he has lost.

I don't mind that he hasn't given in yet, because his progressive voice is important, but after Tuesday, he needs to concede.

BANNED

Honestly there are, I think, 67 delegates in play this weekend in PR and Virgin Islands. Hillary will win most of those. If a few supers flip the networks could declare her the presumptive nominee this weekend.

How about some more news about the only Canadian politician people outside Canada have heard about?

Rob Ford to take leave of absence and seek help for substance abuse.

Toronto Mayor Rob Ford is taking a leave of absence to seek help for substance abuse amid reports that two new recordings — one of unruly behaviour, the other of apparent drug use — have surfaced.

"I have decided to take a leave from campaigning and from my duties as mayor to seek immediate help," Ford said in a statement released shortly before 11 p.m. ET Wednesday.

"I have a problem with alcohol and the choices I have made while under the influence. I have struggled with this for some time."

Later in the statement, the mayor said, "I know that I need professional help."

Ford does not plan to drop out of the election, according to his lawyer, Dennis Morris, who spoke to CBC News earlier in the evening.

The news comes amid reports that two new recordings of Ford have surfaced. The Toronto Sun reported late Wednesday it had obtained a new and "raunchy" audio recording of Ford "ranting and swearing" in a Toronto-area bar on Monday night.

The Globe and Mail claims to have seen a second video, shot last weekend, of Ford smoking what the paper said "a self-professed drug dealer" described as crack cocaine.

The news comes amid a rocky re-election campaign in which Ford has repeatedly described himself as a changed man who has learned from the mistakes of his first term as mayor.

His leave of absence appears to leave Deputy Mayor Norm Kelly in charge, though city council already handed Kelly many of Ford’s mayoral powers last fall.

The Sun posted its recording online. It was reportedly made Monday night at Sullie Gorman's, a restaurant in Toronto's west end — deep in Ford's home territory and across the street from a park named for his father, Doug Ford Sr.

On the recording, a person alleged to be the mayor is heard being unruly, complaining about his wife, Renata, and making lewd comments about mayoral contender Karen Stintz.

Ford is reported to have said, "I'd like to f-----g jam her," in reference to Stintz.

Ford also complains about Ontario's political leaders' decision to fly a flag "ahead of our Canadian flag" — presumably alluding to the rainbow flag flown at the provincial legislature during the Sochi Olympics to support gay rights.

Specifically, he criticizes Ontario Progressive Conservative Leader Tim Hudak for voting in favour of the motion to fly the flag.

"Tim Hudak comes out and says, 'Yeah, I agree with all the gays,'" Ford is heard to say. "Right there, he lost my vote."

There was an interview on BBC Radio 4's Today program this morning with one of Jean McConville's sons, in which he said although he knows the identies of her kidnappers he would not speak to the police for fear of endangering the lives of his family, even after 40 years.

Jesus.

Oh, and I saw a grand two papers running with Adams as a main headline and one as a sub-headline. The Independent has a small section buried in it. The head of a UK and Eire political party has been arrested for a particularly nasty murder, and that's all we fucking get? Might as well put up a headline saying "Northern Ireland Ruled Unimportant; 'If Important They'd Be English', Say Editors"

To be fair, it was headline news on the BBC this morning, but then by teatime it was all about Peaches Geldof and Nigel Farage being hit by an egg.

BANNED

Default Gun Control Debate Thread

So where do you stand on the issue of gun control? More restrictions? More guns for everyone? No guns for anyone?

Georgia just had a new "guns everywhere" law go into effect, and on the first day one gunwielder was arrested after trying to use his gun to push around another gunwielder.

“Essentially, it involved one customer with a gun on his hip when a second customer entered with a gun on his hip," Childress said.

According to the Daily Times, the first man, Ronald Williams, approached the second man in the store and demanded to see his identification and firearms license. Williams also pulled his gun from his holster, without pointing it at the second man. The second man responded by saying that he was not obligated to show any permits or identification -- then he paid for his purchase, left the store, and called the police.

Police responded to the call around 3 p.m. Tuesday, and Williams was arrested on a charge of disorderly conduct for pulling his gun in the store.

Tuesday was also the day that Georgia's so-called "guns everywhere" law went into effect, allowing residents to carry guns into bars, nightclubs, classrooms, and certain government buildings. Among other things, the law also prohibits police from demanding to see the weapons permit of someone seen carrying a gun. Childress mentioned that last point when talking to the Daily Times about Tuesday's incident.

“This is an example of my concern with the new gun law that people will take the law into their own hands which we will not tolerate,” Childress said.