Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    A joke I saw on Facebook:

Breaking: Justify turns down invitation to the White House. Asked why, the Triple Crown winner said, “If I wanted to see a horse’s ass, I would’ve finished second.”
    I'm dead, lol.
    Is always confused.....

My Name is Psylocke, "Stabby stabby pew pew!"

My Psylocke stories at Fanfiction.net (ignore the editing, it's bad on purpose) https://www.fanfiction.net/~tazirai
    My better edited versions on Comicvine. Just check profile and my forum posts in fan fiction section. http://comicvine.gamespot.com/profile/tazirai/

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    So...

Your fix isn't "The DNC should see if they can give those voters a reason to vote for the Democratic candidate."

It's more like "We alienated voters last time. Let's see if we can potentially pick a fight with them this time instead of just alienating them."
    Again, your proposal is to let anyone inside or outside the Democratic party seek it's nomination. Is there a reason to have a distinct party in this case?

Quote Originally Posted by heretic View Post
    Again, your proposal is to let anyone inside or outside the Democratic party seek it's nomination. Is there a reason to have a distinct party in this case?
    If the party is at the point where someone can walk in off of the sidelines and put a run where they actually compete for the nomination?

You tell me.

Never mind that said "Distinct" party and it's base didn't really get it done in a general.

The nomination isn't worth much if it's a true believer who is going to have some difficulty getting votes outside the base come the fall.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    I'm sorry. I have no problem with a guy who wants to be the leader of the Democratic party having to be a member of the party. You can have as many unorthodox views as you want but you still have to have a 'D' after your name. The Democratic party has plenty of room for a wide variety of views.

Bernie doesn't get to have it both ways. This shouldn't be up for debate.
    Once more, I voted for Sanders in the primary and I remain at a loss to understand how this is such a malevolently anti-progressive policy.

But then I still wonder if people wanted the DNC to chuck the vote totals under existing rules and appoint Bernie to the candidacy.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    Besides trade agreements that drag them through the mud, other thing American workers hate is porous borders. Now why is that, you ask? It's because almost everyone who crosses the border illegally is laborer, who if he can will work under the table to avoid detection by the authorities. This makes them much cheaper for Americans to hire.

Is Trump's border wall a silly idea? Sure it is. But contrast it with Hillary Clinton's dream of "a Western Hemisphere without borders."
    Speaking as the son of a construction worker who grew up in 1980s Los Angeles? I would be more impressed by cracking down on those hiring people not authorized to work in the U. S. and candidates willing to consider minimum wage hikes than the knee-jerk xenophobia taken straight from 1840s nativist screeds.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    I think Faux News is about to be down another blonde.
    The host Abby Huntsman is the daughter of former Utah Governor, and current Ambassador to Russia, Jon Huntsman.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    The host Abby Huntsman is the daughter of former Utah Governor, and current Ambassador to Russia, Jon Huntsman.
    Huntsman is probably one of the few Republicans I wouldn't mind being President tbh, probably wouldn't vote for him, but I wouldn't lose my mind the way I did with the last two Republican fields. So it doesn't surprise me his daughter was the one to say that.

Edit: just googled, not a blonde either
    Last edited by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE; 06-10-2018 at 06:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    Huntsman is probably one of the few Republicans I wouldn't mind being President tbh, probably wouldn't vote for him, but I wouldn't lose my mind the way I did with the last two Republican fields. So it doesn't surprise me his daughter was the one to say that.

Uh...

(Assuming things are as they were when I last took note...)

- Ainsley E. - Host During The Week
    - Abby H. - Apparently Host On The Weekends

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Uh...

(Assuming things are as they were when I last took note...)

- Ainsley E. - Host During The Week
    - Abby H. - Apparently Host On The Weekends
    Abby Huntsman did apologize for the statement.

http://www.businessinsider.com/fox-n...untsman-2018-6
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Abby Huntsman did apologize for the statement.

http://www.businessinsider.com/fox-n...untsman-2018-6
    Kidding around. I assumed the initial post was as well.

Extraordinary Member Gray Lensman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post

How did she get a job on Fox? I thought blonde was a requirement, or maybe it just seems that way...

If you want to criticize my comments about geographic sorting, please tell me where I'm wrong, and the analysis that backs that up.
    I think 'geographic sorting' is just a way to blame urban lack of representation on people moving to cities and a way to defend Republican congressional dominance.

A 2015 study showed: Hyperbolic claims of a “sorted” country aside, geographic polarization in the United States is limited at best. Partisan polarization could be a real and consequential phenomenon in the electorate, but it has little geographic, “red versus blue” manifestation.

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/...111/ssqu.12202

A 2016 study found /no evidence/ of partisan sorting

https://www.journals.uchicago.edu/do...10.1086/687569

Oh and here's another good one:

http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/usappblog/201...n-realignment/

What we're actually seeing with so-called 'geographic sorting' is the last realignment of the solid south, stronger extremes driven by the nationalization of local political races.

The argument over 'geographic sorting' is just a backwards looking idea from a flawed place that seeks to blame people living in cities for living in cities for their lack of representation and demand unrealistic fixes telling people to move to places where there are no jobs so they can have a political voice. It's an absurd argument, Mets, designed only to explain why 'urban Democrats' have so many 'wasted votes', instead of ACTUALLY ADDRESSING THE ROOT OF THE PROBLEM, such as the House being frozen at 435 and the way districts are drawn, and yes, frigging gerrymandering.

We see our data as suggesting that the country has begun to “sort” into more politically segregated counties but that the evidence does not fit the timeline suggested by existing accounts. Instead we find evidence that until 1988 counties that swung for one party over another either became more heterogeneous or switched parties in the following election. However, in 1996 the country began a steady shift toward geographic polarization. This timeline suggest that the increasing political homogeneity of the American neighborhood is more likely driven by partisan realignment and the culmination of other political events that have made it easier for partisans to line up their ideology with their choice of candidates at the ballot box than voter decisions about where to live. However, we also find evidence that particularly in the last decade, voters decisions about where to live are driving political polarization.
    It could just be, and bear with me here, that the increasingly openly racist and sexist party you support has little in common with people living in a cosmopolitan center and that people who DO move there tend to become *less* racist and sexist.

But hey, I didn't actually /want/ to have this discussion because anytime anyone brings up gerrymandering, you're quick to defensively post about 'geographic sorting', which is and will always remain political class hyperbolic bullshit as a way to explain 'just how things are' and how we're 'totally helpless to do anything about it' except demand completely unrealistic fixes: the bulk of which conveniently fall on Dem voters.
    Last edited by Tendrin; 06-10-2018 at 10:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by aja_christopher View Post
    "Trump Threatens to End All Trade With Allies"

"Leaving the G7 summit on Saturday, President Trump said that the U.S. might end all trade with America’s closest allies if those countries don’t submit to his demands over reduced trade barriers. Trump also confirmed that he had told the leaders of Britain, France, Germany, Japan, Canada, and Italy that there should be no tariffs between them and the U.S. of any kind. Whether Trump’s characteristically hyperbolic threat, or overarching proposal, will be taken seriously is another matter.

Referring to what he called “ridiculous and unfair” tariffs on U.S. imports, Trump said, “It’s going to stop — or we’ll stop trading with them. And that’s a very profitable answer, if we have to do it.”

Trump left the G7 while it was still underway so that he could travel to Singapore to meet with North Korean dictator Kim Jong Un. The trade-warring president claimed that his relationship with other G7 leaders was “a 10,” but the contentious summit clearly proved otherwise.

The Trump administration recently imposed steep tariffs on steel and aluminum imports from the EU and Canada, having already imposed them on Japan. Those countries, along with Mexico, have pledged to impose their own higher tariffs on billions of dollars of U.S. imports in retaliation, as America’s allies appear to have become fed up with the combative and chaotic Trump administration, and are shifting their strategy from trying to reach and educate Trump about the complexities of international trade, to seeking to punish the U.S. economy instead.

“If they retaliate, they’re making a mistake,” Trump said on Saturday, meaning that he believes U.S. allies have more to lose than gain by entering into a trade war with the U.S."

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer...th-allies.html
    So Trump is basically saying, "I'm taking my ball and going home! Nyah!"

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    So Trump is basically saying, "I'm taking my ball and going home! Nyah!"
    But her emails!

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

U.S.-Canada Spat Escalates, Europeans Criticize Trump’s G-7 Move

The spat drew in Germany and France, who accused Trump of destroying trust and acting inconsistently. But hey, that's just what Trump's BFF Bad Vlad wanted....and got.

Lindsey Graham Defies Trump: Readmitting Russia To The G-7 Would Be A ‘Mistake’

“The Soviet Union may have fallen, but the evil it represents is alive and well in Putin’s Russia,” Graham said. And Trump is trying to cultivate that evil.

Elon Musk Company Hands Out ‘Fun’ Flamethrowers In Scorched LA

Musk urges buyers to be careful as a brush fire rages in Santa Clarita. Talk about utter FOOLISHNESS!

Parkland Drama Students Perform ‘Seasons Of Love’ At Tony Awards

The song from “Rent” honored the drama department director at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, who helped save students during the massacre.

The Lasting Damage Of Trump’s Disastrous Diplomacy

It’s hardly a surprise that Donald Trump blew up the Group of Seven summit. In his warped view of the world, America’s closest allies are enemies, and nations that represent dangerous threats are friends.

Thus, Russia is to be welcomed back, while Canada, about as benign a neighbor as exists, is a menace for taking advantage of the U.S. on trade. (Fact check: The U.S. government’s own data suggest the U.S. ran a small trade surplus with Canada in 2017.) The European Union, whose subsidy and open-market policies are on a par with our own, is seen as a bigger threat than mercantilist China. And North Korea’s dictator Kim Jong Un gets warmer words than the leaders of Europe.

Has the world gone mad? No, only Donald Trump.
    Trump’s bullshit in a china shop can best be understood on three levels. First, sheer ignorance. Second, thin-skinned petulance and pique. After barely papering over differences at the actual summit, Trump destroyed whatever shred of goodwill remained in a tweetstorm triggered by the effrontery of Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s criticisms.

But the third reason is the most dangerous of all — corruption and opportunism. Trump gave China a pass on the national security risks of the telecom company ZTE as an apparent thank-you for Chinese gifts to his business empire and that of his daughter Ivanka.

He keeps cutting Russian President Vladimir Putin slack after years of Russian bailouts for Trump’s business empire. He is now in danger of being taken to the cleaners by North Korea, because Kim is better at sucking up to Trump than, say, Trudeau or French President Emmanuel Macron, and because Trump desperately needs a symbolic win.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!