Page 766 of 6983 FirstFirst ... 26666671675676276376476576676776876977077681686612661766 ... LastLast
Results 11,476 to 11,490 of 104733

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    If you're comfortable with the same rhetorical tactic being used against environmentalists.
    When was the last time enviromentlists killed anyone? The Unabomber doesn't count. :P Serious question!

If you're saying one group is like another, the general implication is that they have similar tendencies to similar degrees.
    Parallels exist between the group. Both have similar goals, both want to stone gays and reinstitute biblical punishments, and have said so loudly. Very loudly.

That nuance might be lost given that the best-known thing about the Taliban is the atrocities.
    Atrocities driven by what everyone knows is extremist religious fundamentalism. I don't think the nuance is as lost as you might think.

Yes, if he'd answered with that alone, instead of 'I don't know whether Obama loves his country' and 'I don't know whether or not Obama is a Christian', you might've had a point here. As it is, Walker's answers were very politically revealing.
    Last edited by Tendrin; 02-23-2015 at 07:53 PM.

BANNED

I think Obama's a Christian the same way most Christians I know are Christian. You ask them if they believe in a god and/or heaven, they say yes. You ask them if they believe in angels, demons, and the devil you start to lose a few. You ask them about specific events in the bible (the ark, Jonah and the fish, angels sticking swords into infants, etc.) you lose some more. You bring up specific passages about things like slavery being justified, women being property, not eating shellfish, etc. you lose a lot more until you're down to a really hardcore, extremist few. I don't know any of them personally, but I see them on my TV and internet machine and I'm glad my President seems to be more in that first category.

The "go along to get along" category I call them, believing because if you don't examine the lie much it's a pretty nice one. Everlasting spiritual life, getting to see dead relatives, the good are rewarded and the bad punished, there's a reason for everything that happens (even horrible things) because it's "god's plan", etc., etc. I'm the same way with sports teams, I grew up in New England so I'm a Boston area sports fan. Never thought about it, just grew up with it and here I am rooting for the Patriots (that's fun), the Celtics (not as much at the moment), and the Red Sox (mixed bag).

Quote Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet View Post
    Aren't there states in this country where atheist are legally barred from holding office?
    There are states with laws like that, just as there are states with blasphemy laws, niether set of laws had bee enforceable for over a centrality and remain as fossils in state codes,

Quote Originally Posted by Mikekerr3 View Post
    There are states with laws like that, just as there are states with blasphemy laws, niether set of laws had bee enforceable for over a centrality and remain as fossils in state codes,
    Arkansas, Article 19, Section 1:
    No person who denies the being of a God shall hold any office in the civil departments of this State, nor be competent to testify as a witness in any Court.

Maryland, Article 37:
    That no religious test ought ever to be required as a qualification for any office of profit or trust in this State, other than a declaration of belief in the existence of God; nor shall the Legislature prescribe any other oath of office than the oath prescribed by this Constitution.

Mississippi, Article 14, Section 265:
    No person who denies the existence of a Supreme Being shall hold any office in this state.

North Carolina, Article 6, Section 8
    The following persons shall be disqualified for office: Any person who shall deny the being of Almighty God.

South Carolina, Article 17, Section 4:
    No person who denies the existence of a Supreme Being shall hold any office under this Constitution.

Tennessee, Article 9, Section 2:
    No person who denies the being of God, or a future state of rewards and punishments, shall hold any office in the civil department of this state.

Texas, Article 1, Section 4:
    No religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office, or public trust, in this State; nor shall any one be excluded from holding office on account of his religious sentiments, provided he acknowledge the existence of a Supreme Being.

That said, according to the article I got those from, there have been attempts to enforce these laws in the rare event of an actual atheist running.

http://www.citizen-times.com/article...C-bar-atheists
    Last edited by Tendrin; 02-23-2015 at 08:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    Arkansas, Article 19, Section 1:
    No person who denies the being of a God shall hold any office in the civil departments of this State, nor be competent to testify as a witness in any Court.

Maryland, Article 37:
    That no religious test ought ever to be required as a qualification for any office of profit or trust in this State, other than a declaration of belief in the existence of God; nor shall the Legislature prescribe any other oath of office than the oath prescribed by this Constitution.

Mississippi, Article 14, Section 265:
    No person who denies the existence of a Supreme Being shall hold any office in this state.

North Carolina, Article 6, Section 8
    The following persons shall be disqualified for office: Any person who shall deny the being of Almighty God.

South Carolina, Article 17, Section 4:
    No person who denies the existence of a Supreme Being shall hold any office under this Constitution.

Tennessee, Article 9, Section 2:
    No person who denies the being of God, or a future state of rewards and punishments, shall hold any office in the civil department of this state.

Texas, Article 1, Section 4:
    No religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office, or public trust, in this State; nor shall any one be excluded from holding office on account of his religious sentiments, provided he acknowledge the existence of a Supreme Being.

That said, according to the article I got those from, there have been attempts to enforce these laws in the rare event of an actual atheist running.

http://www.citizen-times.com/article...C-bar-atheists
    Attempts that have never made it past the initial hearing for the lowest level judge, The laws still being on the books is meaningless. As meaningless a city ordinances banning corsets?

http://www.dumblaws.com/laws/united-states/alabama

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by the4thpip View Post
    Not to mention that Obama often drew heavily on Christian mythology in his speeches after national tragedies.
    Quote Originally Posted by CSTowle View Post
    I think Obama's a Christian the same way most Christians I know are Christian. You ask them if they believe in a god and/or heaven, they say yes. You ask them if they believe in angels, demons, and the devil you start to lose a few. You ask them about specific events in the bible (the ark, Jonah and the fish, angels sticking swords into infants, etc.) you lose some more. You bring up specific passages about things like slavery being justified, women being property, not eating shellfish, etc. you lose a lot more until you're down to a really hardcore, extremist few. I don't know any of them personally, but I see them on my TV and internet machine and I'm glad my President seems to be more in that first category.

The "go along to get along" category I call them, believing because if you don't examine the lie much it's a pretty nice one. Everlasting spiritual life, getting to see dead relatives, the good are rewarded and the bad punished, there's a reason for everything that happens (even horrible things) because it's "god's plan", etc., etc. I'm the same way with sports teams, I grew up in New England so I'm a Boston area sports fan. Never thought about it, just grew up with it and here I am rooting for the Patriots (that's fun), the Celtics (not as much at the moment), and the Red Sox (mixed bag).
    Sigh. Christian Bashing..

All I have to say is render onto Caesar what is his.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikekerr3 View Post
    Attempts that have never made it past the initial hearing for the lowest level judge, The laws still being on the books is meaningless. As meaningless a city ordinances banning corsets?

http://www.dumblaws.com/laws/united-states/alabama
    I wouldn't say /meaningless/, as it's still a discriminatory law. Unenforced or not, it still gives cover to people who believe atheists don't deserve citizenship and more.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ExcelsiorPrime View Post
    Sigh. Christian Bashing..
    Nothing you quoted bashes Christians.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Brady View Post
    The "go along to get along" category I call them, believing because if you don't examine the lie much it's a pretty nice one.
    That one line is the 'meanest' it gets, and it's pretty frigging mild as 'Christian bashing' goes.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Brady View Post
    Calling a person's faith preference a Myth and a Lie isnt a bash?

Okay. Whatever you say.

BANNED

Okay. Whatever you say.
    No, it's not. The way you're defining it, the only way it wouldn't be bashing is to agree that Christian doctrine is absolute truth.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Hopkins View Post
    No, it's not. The way you're defining it, the only way it wouldn't be bashing is to agree that Christian doctrine is absolute truth.
    To that Individual...sure.

To a Buddhist is his or her faith a lie?
    A Muslim?
    an Atheist?
    Last edited by ExcelsiorPrime; 02-23-2015 at 11:27 PM.

BANNED

Okay. Whatever you say.
    Correct. I'm glad we could reach an agreement so quickly. Do you refer to Greco-Roman, Norse, Aztec, Yoruba, etc., stories as myths or "faith preferences"? Do you believe that they are as equally factual as Christianity?

BANNED

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2015/0...is-a-Christian

The underlying racism in Gov. Scott Walker questioning whether or not President Obama is a Christian

“Dear God, thank you for pursuing me. I’ll let your grace overtake me. I accept your rest in my life.”
    Last edited by ExcelsiorPrime; 02-23-2015 at 09:55 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by 7thangel View Post
    i'm sorry what? how does that stop someone from being christian or religious?
    I'm a little biased because I despite Christianity, and wanted to imagine the President in a way that would make me respect him more.