Page 257 of 6983 FirstFirst ... 1572072472532542552562572582592602612673073577571257 ... LastLast
Results 3,841 to 3,855 of 104733

Quote Originally Posted by Michael P View Post
    Unless you've got a habit of playing with the blood, vomit and feces of obviously sick people, you've got nothing to be worried about.
    My roommate's mom got so freaked out that she wanted him to take a gap year.
    "In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

"What can I say? I guess I outgrew maturity.." - Bob Chipman

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pharozonk View Post
    My roommate's mom got so freaked out that she wanted him to take a gap year.
    Is this in Emory?

Quote Originally Posted by Kid A View Post
    Is this in Emory?
    Yep

10 char
    "In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Kusa San View Post
    I thought we were talking about ideology and goals here, not specific actions. Saddam was a bad guy, no doubt. But it seems that TPTB are a bit more troubled by ISIS because of their goals. Not that this excuses Saddam, but his targeting of the Kurds was political. His awful way of stopping political dissent and his way of holding an iron grip on the Kurdish region for the exploitation of resources. BUT, Saddam did have diplomatic ties with some countries and he COULD be persuaded to go against his blood lust. Saddam WOULD work with non-friends (like the US in the 1980s) in order to reach some international consensus. It doesn't seem like that's possible with ISIS. They're going to do whatever the hell they want, regardless of international relations. And that makes them more dangerous than Saddam could ever be.
    agreed...I also ask is ISIS' goal to essentially attempt to take Iraq and Syria? what about Iran?

Astonishing Member

Yep

10 char
    It was either that or you're in West Africa.

Tbh I know they do a really good job of containing it, but a part of me would still be scared if I was in Atlanta; like even knowing it's irrational. Ever since I read Hot Zone in high school, Ebola is stuff of nightmares for me.
    Last edited by Kid A; 08-08-2014 at 09:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vibranium View Post
    agreed...I also ask is ISIS' goal to essentially attempt to take Iraq and Syria? what about Iran?
    Maybe as a long term goal, but Iran is already taking steps against ISIS. Iran is so dominantly Shia that there's just no way for a guerilla army to get a real foothold. ISIS is also taking advantage of Iraq and Syria's instability. Iran is comparably well organized.

Tbh I know they do a really good job of containing it, but a part of me would still be scared if I was in Atlanta; like even knowing it's irrational.
    His mom got over it after he explained that he would be safe. I do think I'll be taking the route that doesn't go near the hospital to get to class though.

[QUOTE=Kid A;391178Yessir.[/QUOTE]

Haha that's pretty cool. My sister goes there too.
    Longhorns? hissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssss

Quote Originally Posted by Beige Lantern View Post
    Hmm, point taken. It's just that so far I haven't seen much difference in practice.

Reminds me of a quotation I heard just the other day:

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis
    Certainly. The actions are reprehensible. But the US could control Saddam in some ways at some points. And they could topple him. ISIS is something else entirely.

BANNED

It's basically nonexistent in Texas.

Public transportation alone is why I can't wait to graduate and settle in Boston for good.
    And they finally did something smart by extending the train hours on weekends. Nice grad present.

Tbh I know they do a really good job of containing it, but a part of me would still be scared if I was in Atlanta; like even knowing it's irrational. Ever since I read Hot Zone in high school, Ebola is stuff of nightmares for me.
    Honestly if anything, the CDC is overly cautious about stemming epidemics (except zombieism, of course). Look at their response to H1N1.

Extraordinary Member

Not sure if anyone here will know much about this:
    http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...ar-east-london

I live nearby, in Bow. Its getting bad now. No longer safe. I have a Muslim name and features, but I'm Christian. And stories like this:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...nt-Muslim.html
    Make it worse, I just read Obama has sent strikes on ISIS. Not sure if true. And I know the second one is DM, but it did actually happen xD

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Kusa San View Post
    Longhorns? hissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssss

Are you an Aggie?

Are you an Aggie?
    Died in the wool Maroon.

BANNED

o jeez the Texas college football fan in you both has bubbled to the surface

Im from CT, we do basketball up here...our football team isn't that great

so do you hate your interstate rival or Oklahoma more?

I'm not actually a football fan. I just support my sister's school's team.