Page 850 of 6983 FirstFirst ... 35075080084084684784884985085185285385486090095013501850 ... LastLast
Results 12,736 to 12,750 of 104733

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Poor understanding? More like an absence of empathy, or, to be more blunt, They don't give half a ****. In the narrow minds of Republicans, poor people are a plague that shouldn't be allowed to exist in their pristine version of America which died out with the 1950's. So these clowns are doing all they can to legislate the poor out of existence, as if those sorts of draconian measures will eliminate the problem. Newsflash, it won't, it'll simply make things worse.

I just heard about this sad story. I've heard similarly awful stories where poor inner city people regularly risk catastrophe by using unsafe space heaters, even turning on range burners to keep warm during winter, only to die from carbon monoxide poisoning or burning down their houses. But that's what desperation does to the poor.

They shouldn't be spending their welfare checks on cruises, now SHOULD they!

Lazy poor people. It's their OWN fault.

/snark

Sadly, the above is often argued with a straight face and sincere belief.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    Isn't it just peachy the way he walks to Scott's body and places the taser he claimed the suspect tried to wrestle away from him, after having shot him multiple times? Man, it's almost like this sort of thing happens often, or something, with how casually he seems to do it...
    Just like with the cops who got off scot free in New York City and Ferguson, that swine no doubt thought he could literally get away with murder because he's a cop. A mindset like that is dangerous as hell.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    Isn't it just peachy the way he walks to Scott's body and places the taser he claimed the suspect tried to wrestle away from him, after having shot him multiple times? Man, it's almost like this sort of thing happens often, or something, with how casually he seems to do it...
    But I did notice that he is getting no support from the local police chief or the towns mayor and there was no BS about needing a grand jury

Quote Originally Posted by Mikekerr3 View Post
    But I did notice that he is getting no support from the local police chief or the towns mayor and there was no BS about needing a grand jury
    It's interesting that two white cops have been charged in South Carolina. This guy and the gas station guy.

Go South Carolina, I guess.

It's been fun. Toodles. Paradox's Avatar

Mister Mets blithers:

It does not seem reasonable to expect others to have an excel spreadsheet summarizing another guy's posts handy.
    Nor is it necessary. Nor was the actual enumeration the point of his post. Using the term "a shitload" instead of numbers illustrates the point just as well. You're chasing "formal debate rules" instead of just facing up to the facts. worstblog wasn't using a logical fallacy, you're using a diversionary tactic.
    'Dox out.

"It’s cold and it’s mean-spirited and I don’t like it here anymore." - Alan Moore

"Can it, you nit!" - Violet Beauregard

"And Paradox is never correct. About anything."- Kid Omega

The Conclave group page on Primus (a work in progress)
    Champions: The Conclave (an updating Facebook Gallery)
    Decorum & Friends (A City of Heroes archive)

Quote Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
    Nor is it necessary. Nor was the actual enumeration the point of his post. Using the term "a shitload" instead of numbers illustrates the point just as well. You're chasing "formal debate rules" instead of just facing up to the facts. worstblog wasn't using a logical fallacy, you're using a diversionary tactic.
    At this point, perhaps we should just ask the question, "Are you, as a registered Republican embarrassed by the ridiculous, documented behavior of those seeking, or elected to office in your party. If not... how and why is that even still possible when they seem to have a serious problem with being willfully ignorant, racist, homophobic, idiots?"
    Last edited by worstblogever; 04-07-2015 at 08:05 PM.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

BANNED

It is weird a cop in South Carolina murders an unarmed Black man running away on video and is charged with murder within two days, When NYC Cops murder an unarmed black man on video they are given a walk.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/04/07/us/sou...der/index.html
    This is very open and shut so it will be an easy case to make.

Harvard paper from 2008 on 'partisan reinforcement and the poor. From the lead in...

Past research has demonstrated that Americans view poverty in racial terms, and that they
    often blame the poor for their situation. But can local contexts undermine these common
    stereotypes and attitudes? Synthesizing racial and political theories of contextual effects, this
    article uses two nationally representative surveys to explore attitudes about who is to blame
    for poverty. It uncovers two contextual variables that predict structural attitudes toward
    poverty. The first is the percentage of the county’s poor that is white, a finding that theories
    of racial threat would lead us to expect. The second finding is stronger: the percentage of
    the county that voted Republican in the last presidential election consistently predicts less
    structural attitudes. Thus more powerfully than racial dynamics, local processes of partisan
    reinforcement play a key role in shaping attitudes toward poverty.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...0MEfJbFd8xvdkQ

Quote Originally Posted by surgeon_general View Post
    It's not about "demonizing other thought," it's about "challenging other thoughtlessness."
    Does that include liberals who use term like Ammosexual? Or redneck, Or Cracker. Or thous that random attack the Midwest and south? Do you boyott eh Huffington post for example

Does that include liberals who use term like Ammosexual? Or redneck, Or Cracker. Or thous that random attack the Midwest and south? Do you boyott eh Huffington post for example
    I've seen it happen frequently on DailyKos.

BANNED

That is a non sequitur to my post.

Quote Originally Posted by surgeon_general View Post
    That is a non sequitur to my post.
    That and that stuff doesn't hold anywhere near the same amount of weight. As hurtful as those words are, they'll never match up to the actions done by the other side.
    "Race is a social construct, they say. And I remind them that money is a social construct, too. Social constructs have power." — DeRay Mckesson

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    I've seen it happen frequently on DailyKos.
    Ammosexual: A person who fetishizes firearms, is against any and all regulation no matter how reasonable, and believes that their right to own them is more important than the rights of innocent people to live.

Redneck: A person, usually of lower class & education, who holds bigoted views on women/racial/sexual minorities. Is gullible enough to vote for policies they believe will help them, but are designed to keep them down.

Cracker: A white person. The dominant racial group in America, historically responsible for virtually every atrocity committed in the Americas and parts over the world. Has the most representation in government, disproportionately so. Has the most wealth.

All of the above: least likely to face discrimination in the work place, in the market place, or in court. Most likely to survive encounters with law enforcement.

Oh no, won't someone please think of the people with the most power responsible for everything wrong in the country.
    Last edited by Jeff Brady; 04-08-2015 at 06:55 AM.

BANNED

Personally, I'm a liberal. But I'm also from Kentucky. I constantly see other liberals saying hurtful, stereotypical and unfair things about Kentucky and the south in general. Americans are pretty bad, but Europeans and people from Australia and New Zealand are incredibly vicious. I'm relatively reluctant to tell people I'm from Kentucky online.

I don't think these stereotypes should be any more acceptable to throw around than any other stereotypes. And I don't think it's an out to talk about power imbalances. Often these people are poor and uneducated.
    Last edited by Shawn Hopkins; 04-08-2015 at 06:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Double 0 View Post
    That and that stuff doesn't hold anywhere near the same amount of weight. As hurtful as those words are, they'll never match up to the actions done by the other side.
    We were talking aqbout how PC supposedly equal politeness, But I guess it doesn't matter if the insults are hurled ad people that don't toe PC line on what beliefs are acceptable. Post something anti-gun control here and see how polite the responses are. And much of the rudeness will come from those saying the PC equals just being polite