Extraordinary Member

The only credit I'll give the Democrats is that they actively aren't evil and they aren't as insane as the Republicans when it comes to the economy so they do better there. Aside from that they are essentially bystanders who wait to see which way the wind blows before they pretend they are for something that is popular with their base, usually after it's a moot point.

It kills me though, because despite all that, if they were even half competent the country would be in a lot better shape, just by default.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Someone is laying out clear periods of "Inaction" here.

Just because some folks seem to want to ignore those periods while trying to point to Democrats getting with it way after the fact, that doesn't mean that most folks don't see the prior periods of inaction for what they actually were.
    No it's just a lie so Democrats can pretend they were on the right side of history. They weren't. They were cowards on gay marriage and it was all but decided when they jumped on board. They were cowards on healthcare and tried to rip off a Republican plan with plenty of concessions. They were cowards on gun control and never accomplished everything (and the things they fight for would have minimal impact). If it wasn't for Republicans going after PP, I'd bring up that abortion was decided in 1973. Two of those were decided by the Supreme Court, one was watered down, and one the Democrats are just dicking around.

Seriously I wish there weren't only two parties, because the Democrats have no interest in fighting for left issues.

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    Oh boy, Devin Nunes is back in the news again and this time, it ain't for a memo he shat out. His feel-feels got hurt by mean old Colbert you see!

Checking the archives, for some reason, I don't think WBE has profiled Devin yet. I think he's more than ready for a good profile overview.
    I've been stalling, because I thought he would have resigned in disgrace to complete the whole story by now.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    I've been stalling, because I thought he would have resigned in disgrace to complete the whole story by now.
    Have you heard this guy?

He sounds like he believes he has a duty to do whatever he is up to.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    No it's just a lie so Democrats can pretend they were on the right side of history. They weren't. They were cowards on gay marriage and it was all but decided when they jumped on board. They were cowards on healthcare and tried to rip off a Republican plan with plenty of concessions. They were cowards on gun control and never accomplished everything (and the things they fight for would have minimal impact). If it wasn't for Republicans going after PP, I'd bring up that abortion was decided in 1973. Two of those were decided by the Supreme Court, one was watered down, and one the Democrats are just dicking around.

Seriously I wish there weren't only two parties, because the Democrats have no interest in fighting for left issues.
    Man I agree with this so much and was about to post this.

When the DCCC Calls, Hang Up the Phone
    After the committee savaged candidate Laura Moser in Houston, it’s clear progressives are better off supporting other organizations.

One of seven candidates in the Democratic primary to be held on Tuesday, March 6, Moser was at a campaign event last month when an aide pulled her over and said, “You have to see this.” This was an article in The Texas Tribune reporting that the DCCC had posted an attack on Moser on its website, calling her “a Washington insider” who’d said she’d rather have her “teeth pulled without anaesthesia” than live in Texas, and implying that she’d put her husband on the campaign payroll. Queried about what seemed like an unprecedented blast at a pioneer in the anti-Trump #Resistance, DCCC spokeswoman Meredith Kelly doubled down, claiming “Laura Moser’s outright disgust for life in Texas disqualifies her as a general election candidate and would rob voters of their opportunity to flip Texas’ 7th in November.”

The fact that they took an out of context phrase and used it as a WEAPON against a Progressive, YET, also a Democrat is astounding. I'm so happy she raised more money then she would have gotten from the DCCC.

Democrats need to be careful this year if they really want a Blue Wave.

BANNED

Democrats always assume things they shouldn't.

Democratic group faces backlash after intervening in crowded House primaries

A black Democratic candidate for Congress in Pennsylvania is accusing the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee of undermining his campaign and trying to nudge him out of the race in favor of white candidates.

A Republican super PAC’s poll in Texas has found a Democrat surging after the DCCC published opposition research about her campaign.

Across the country, tensions are boiling over between party activists and the Washington-based committees that usually shape midterm campaigns — with insurgent candidates seeing advantages in attacking the so-called “establishment,” and anticipating little harm when the party comes after them.

Showing up late to the party is still better than refusing to attend the party at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    Showing up late to the party is still better than refusing to attend the party at all.
    If that was what we are talking about, you might have a point.

That said, we are more in "Party Crashers" territory here.

On this date in 2015, 2016, as well as 2017, “Crazy/Stupid Republican of the Day posted profiles of Tom Kirby, of the Georgia House of Representatives, who supports the drug testing of welfare recipients, legalizing firearms in bars and college campuses, supporting bills to allow state officials to deny marriage licenses to LGBT citizens, and his backing of the unconstitutional idea to put monuments of the Ten Commandments in government buildings… and that’s not even the crazy part. That would be Kirby’s sponsorship of HB 287, a bill to prevent experimentations with human embryos and animal tissue. While no one anywhere was thinking about conducting such a study, but Kirby specified a scenario where human/jellyfish hybrid embyros might be created that would “glow in the dark”.

In spite of Kirby’s weird stance on potential mad science that isn’t even being suggested, he was allowed to run for re-election in 2016 completely unopposed. Since we last profiled Tom Kirby, he voted to authorize the concealed carry of firearms on college campuses, because it1’s not like that could lead to a mass shooting. And with current events making citizens wishing that more gun control laws would be implemented by an all time high margin of 2 to 1, well, that might be one more thing to give anyone who runs against Kirby in 2018 the lift they need to unseat him before the animal-human hybrids can rise to take over the globe.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

As for a serious look at "Better Late Than Never..." as a stance, let's just take Marijuana Legalization as an issue.

To really believe that "Better Late Than Never..." is an acceptable approach versus the Party going with "Pro-Legalization" as an alternative to "Better...", you would have to seriously say -

- The amount of people who will do time and wind up with criminal records because we took our time is acceptable.
    - The taxpayer money wasted on enforcement and incarceration because we took are time is acceptable.
    - The tax money lost to states because we took our time is acceptable.
    - The potentially less dangerous medical alternatives that absolutely will not happen while we take our time is acceptable.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Instead Of Thoughts And Prayers, Oregon Passes New Gun Safety Law

Gov. Kate Brown signed a bill to stop convicted stalkers and domestic abusers from buying and keeping firearms. No surprise that a Democrat signed that bill.

‘It’s Fake News!’: Congresswoman Who Said Most Mass Shooters Are Democrats Cuts Off Interview

“Bye. Done. It’s ridiculous.” Cowardly bitch. Oh, WBEEEEEEEE....!

George W. Bush Reportedly Sounds Off On Trump: ‘Sorta Makes Me Look Pretty Good’

Former president zings Trump in candid comments. Not all that hard to do when the target is Trump, even for Dubya.

Emboldened By Trump, Georgia GOP Pushes Anti-LGBTQ Adoption Bill

Georgia is on its way to creating a law that would allow state-funded adoption agencies to turn away LGBTQ couples ― or, more specifically, to turn away any parents the agencies don’t approve of based on religious beliefs.

Make no mistake: This anti-LGBTQ adoption bill is part of a wide-reaching plan by religious conservatives ― backed by President Donald Trump and his administration ― to turn same-sex marriage into second-class marriage with a longer-term goal of overturning federal marriage rights for gays and lesbians entirely.

How are religious conservatives turning same-sex marriage into second-class marriage? By getting courts to rule that wedding-related businesses can turn away gay couples based on the business owners’ religious beliefs, by allowing governments to refuse to give the same benefits to spouses within same-sex marriages as they do to those within opposite-sex marriages, and by allowing adoption agencies to say no to LGBTQ parents.
    Discrimination against gays today, interracial couples tomorrow, and perhaps minorities/religions other than Christianity the day after that. Think about it, folks. Once that snowball starts rolling, chances are it won't stop.

John Oliver: NRATV Is Like A ‘Deranged Letter From A Serial Killer’

The NRA’s TV network is darker and weirder than you think.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    As for a serious look at "Better Late Than Never..." as a stance, let's just take Marijuana Legalization as an issue.

To really believe that "Better Late Than Never..." is an acceptable approach versus the Party going with "Pro-Legalization" as an alternative to "Better...", you would have to seriously say -

- The amount of people who will do time and wind up with criminal records because we took our time is acceptable.
    - The taxpayer money wasted on enforcement and incarceration because we took are time is acceptable.
    - The tax money lost to states because we took our time is acceptable.
    - The potentially less dangerous medical alternatives that absolutely will not happen while we take our time is acceptable.
    What you are ignoring in this is that for a majority of these progressive issues you HAVE to change public opinion on these things to get people to vote for your candidates. You say Democrats were behind on these issues and even "cowards", but the simple fact that they keep an open mind and try to change the dial on public opinion matters.

I am gay and I can now marry if I want to not because of Republicans and the GOP that's for damn sure. If you left it up to Republicans you would be in conversion therapy camps and be labeled sick. ANti-LGBTQ issues are ALWAYS on the republican platform. Just look at all these bathroom bills that have to be stomped down by progressive Democratic ideals and companies who threaten economic harm on these states that try it. GOP always trying to turn back the clock even when its stupid. Clinton at least pushed Don't ask don't tell to START paving the way for the military doing the right thing. Now trump is trying to **** over transgender in the military DESPITE the military not wanting too. They have all but ignored his directive so far. That's the only reason and court battles we still haven't fully gone backward there.

I am also black and it damn sure is not the GOP that tries to point out the systemic racism inherent in society permeating law enforcement that targets minorities far more than whites. The GOP has let Trumpism take over to the point racists don't even feel they need to hide anymore under sheets. They are out at work, they are teachers who do podcasts about white supremacy after school like the lady in Florida. There is no denying they are emboldened.

You speak on marijuana it damn sure won't be GOP making the change to legalization federal. GOP get in and immediately Sessions starts targeting and making things more difficult for states that already passed laws. Attacking banks that support them, healthcare for the workers in the industry.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Instead Of Thoughts And Prayers, Oregon Passes New Gun Safety Law

Gov. Kate Brown signed a bill to stop convicted stalkers and domestic abusers from buying and keeping firearms. No surprise that a Democrat signed that bill.

Emboldened By Trump, Georgia GOP Pushes Anti-LGBTQ Adoption Bill

Discrimination against gays today, interracial couples tomorrow, and perhaps minorities/religions other than Christianity the day after that. Think about it, folks. Once that snowball starts rolling, chances are it won't stop.

You are exactly right that's why Democrats cant stand in the middle of the road on these issues. Sometimes it is hard for minorities to get behind the LGBT community on this maybe for religious reasons or whatever but its so vitally6 important you let us take the hits first they will move on to minorities in general. The underlying hate and wish for "the good old days" fuels this. Anytime I hear someone say Things need to go back to the way they were or MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN is straight up code for make America predominantly white, hetero, gay back in the closet or dead.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kidfresh512 View Post
    You are exactly right that's why Democrats cant stand in the middle of the road on these issues. Sometimes it is hard for minorities to get behind the LGBT community on this maybe for religious reasons or whatever but its so vitally6 important you let us take the hits first they will move on to minorities in general. The underlying hate and wish for "the good old days" fuels this. Anytime I hear someone say Things need to go back to the way they were or MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN is straight up code for make America predominantly white, hetero, gay back in the closet or dead.
    Exactly. All the bigots, homophobes and misogynists out there, especially those shameless hypocrites who cloak themselves in religious trappings finally have a friend in the Oval Office in Trump. And you can bet the mortgage they'll exploit that relationship to the nines in order to get laws passed that will put blacks like me in the back of the bus, return women to the kitchen and send gays back into the closet in order to reinvent their version of America which last existed in the 1950's. These aren't just troublesome times for everyone who ISN'T white, rich, straight and Christian, but downright dangerous as Trump's hatred of minorities, women and gays has all but put a bullseye on our backs.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

I don't want her to run for office but I want her to run for office. LOL. This is what desperation feels like.