Kentucky legislators send tax cuts for wealthy, tax hikes for the other 95 percent to governor’s desk

The Kentucky legislature passed a sweeping tax overhaul this week, and now lawmakers are asking Gov. Matt Bevin to sign a bill that would slash taxes for some corporations and wealthy individuals while raising them on 95 percent of state residents, according to a new analysis.

The proposal arrives on the Republican governor's desk at a charged moment in Kentucky politics: The bill flew through the legislature on short notice, and thousands of teachers went to the State Capitol building earlier this week to protest cuts to their pension system.

Bevin's position on the tax overhaul, Kentucky's biggest in more than a decade, remains unknown. He said in a statement that the bill and the state budget, which was also passed by the legislature and is awaiting his signature, may not be “fiscally responsible.” Bevin has until April 13 to sign or veto the bill or send it back to the legislature with modifications.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Currently Brazil is having some really big trouble, their ex president was impeached, their current president is being investigate because of corruption and their most popular ex president is going to jail.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...aft/496973002/

Brazil's ex-president 'Lula' da Silva jailed for graft

CURITIBA, Brazil (AP) — Former Brazilian President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva was spending his first night in jail, a stunning fall from grace for a man who rose from nothing to lead Latin America's largest nation and later became engulfed in corruption allegations.

Foreshadowing possible clashes in the weeks to come, police shot rubber bullets and sprayed tear gas late Saturday at supporters waiting for da Silva as he landed in a police helicopter in the southern city of Curitiba, where he will serve his 12-year sentence for money laundering and corruption.

Just a few hours before that, da Silva had to have guards push their way out of a metal workers union in a Sao Paulo suburb so he could turn himself in to police; supporters were trying to keep him from going into custody.

peaking to thousands of supporters at the union that was the spiritual birthplace of da Silva's rise to prominence, the former leader said he would turn himself in so as to continue fighting a corruption conviction that he said amounted to a way for enemies to make sure he doesn't run — and possibly win — re-election in October.

When he first tried to leave the metal workers union headquarters, however, dozens of supporters blocked a gate where a car carrying da Silva was trying to exit.

"Surround, surround (the building) and don't let them arrest him," chanted supporters. After a few minutes of tense words between guards and supporters, the former president got out of the car and entered the headquarters.

Police vehicles surrounded the union, raising the fears of clashes. Da Silva emerged a second time shortly after nightfall, this time surrounded by bodyguards who pushed back scores of supporters who tried to stop his advance.

Such dramatic scenes throughout the day underscored the drama that has rapt a nation deeply divided on da Silva's legacy and whether he is guilty of corruption. The latest developments began when the Supreme Federal Tribunal, the country's top court, ruled against his petition on Thursday to remain free while he continued to appeal his conviction.

Da Silva 'doesn't forgive' police, prosecutors

Judge Sergio Moro, who oversees many of the so-called "Car Wash" cases, then ordered an arrest warrant for da Silva, giving him until 5 p.m. Friday to present himself to police in Curitiba, about 260 miles (417 kilometers) southwest of Sao Bernardo do Campo, and begin serving his 12-year sentence.

Da Silva, who Brazilians simply call "Lula," did no such thing. Instead, he hunkered down with supporters in the union headquarters.

"The police and 'Car Wash' investigators lied. The prosecutors lied," said da Silva, as a few thousand supporters cheered.

"I don't forgive them for giving society the idea that I am a thief," he continued.

Mighty Member

Well, Trump did promise to prosecute Hillary back on the campaign trail. He always keeps his promises.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    More and more it's sounding like this country may not be worth saving from Trump and his goons.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...cid=spartandhp

The GOP can't help it. Continuing to go after Hillary and the investigation into Hillary and the investigation into the investigation of Hillary, and into the investigation of the investigation of the investigation.
    This is not only kicking a dead horse, this is the GOP exhuming said horse from it's grave years later to apply the boot. Yeah, just like with their Obamacare repeal jihad, Republicans won't stop hunting after Hillary until she's tried and convicted of something, ANYTHING, and sent to prison for life, and even then, they'll demand she be put in solitary 24/7. Pathetic.

South Carolina wants to introduce some lame ass bill that would let them secede because they've got their panties in a bunch over gun rights? Fine and dandy. The next time the state suffers some sort of catastrophe, either natural or man made, instead of going to Washington with hat in hand begging Congress for disaster relief funds, they can just pay for it themselves.

More proof of how Trump likes his followers good and stupid and wholly dependent on him (along with Faux News) and no one else for their worldview. People who don't live in news deserts and have the ability to fact check his lies, then reject his bullshit are poison to him.

Let's see if Bevin has the balls to shaft his constituents by signing that unholy bill.
    Last edited by WestPhillyPunisher; 04-09-2018 at 08:01 AM.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

This is why Sinclair is doing what they're doing. They thrive in "news deserts," too.

I prefer "new desserts"

Crises, confrontations envelop Trump at home and abroad

Donald Trump always strives to command center stage, but the pugilistic American President is now embroiled in so many escalating global and domestic tests of will, it's becoming impossible to keep count.

Unrestrained and lashing out at enemies at home and abroad, Trump is increasingly exporting the turbulence that has exhausted Washington.

Yet another pivotal week for the Trump presidency opens on Monday with top officials gathering under the direction of new national security adviser John Bolton to discuss how to respond to a chemical weapons attack in Syria with the world on edge over a potential strike.
    The assault on civilians, already blamed by Trump on Bashar al-Assad, is raising the prospect of new US military action, since the Syrian President was clearly not deterred by American missile strikes after a similar attack last year. Heightening tensions, Syrian state television reported a missile strike on an airbase Sunday night, which it said was likely from the US. The Pentagon, however, denied responsibility, and Russia's Defense Ministry has since claimed that Israel was behind the strikes.

On Sunday, Trump's belligerent form of statesmanship took an unexpected turn as he almost unprecedentedly singled out President Vladimir Putin for blame over the chemical weapons attack in a potentially fateful moment for America's fast worsening relations with nuclear rival Russia.

Trump is meanwhile driving America to the precipice of a full-on trade war with China, apparently racing out well ahead of his top economic advisers and setting up a very public confrontation with China's strongman leader Xi Jinping.
    There's no respite for the crisis-battered White House at home. Trump's pick for secretary of state, Mike Pompeo, is expected to endure a bruising confirmation hearing Thursday, with Democrats out for blood.

Trump's dispatch of the National Guard last week to the southwest border to respond to what critics see as a nonexistent crisis further polarized a Washington immigration showdown that is likely to worsen in the days ahead.

And the constant churn of staff departures and internal administration discord claimed another victim on Sunday night, as National Security Council spokesman Michael Anton left, just before Bolton takes the reins.

EPA Administrator Scott Pruitt is still hanging by a thread after a dizzying sequence of scandals, although the President can change on a dime, so there's no guarantee he'll be in the job by week's end.

The Russia cloud that has loomed over Trump every day since he took office is also likely to thicken this week. An appearance Tuesday on Capitol Hill by Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg is likely to revive scrutiny in Russian election meddling that is all but guaranteed to make the President fume.

As ever, there's the potential for further damaging revelations related to the special counsel probe of Robert Mueller.
    And the Trump shit show just goes on and on and on and on. In times of trouble and strife, the American people look to their president for strength, resolve, courage and levelheadedness, we look to the Commander-in-Chief to stare right at us and say, in so many words, "Relax, people. I got this". Problem is, we AIN'T getting any of that from Trump who, instead of calming the waters, roils them like crazy with every misguided statement or four a.m. tweet from the Oval Office bathroom. We're supposed to look to a temperamental, horribly inexperienced and buffoonish demagogue to steer the ship of state away from the iceberg, instead, he's aiming straight at the damn thing while cranking the speed up to full. We're supposed to trust a man who's guided more on national and international issues by the knuckleheads on Faux News than by his aides (whom he's constantly replacing), generals (whom he either doesn't listen to or ignores) or intelligence agencies (whom he doesn't trust), folks, if that isn't a recipe for disaster, I don't know what qualifies. I can't help but wonder if things will only get worse before they get better, and the only way that happens is to get Trump the hell out of the White House.
    Last edited by WestPhillyPunisher; 04-09-2018 at 10:26 AM.

Think what you like about Bill Maher, I'd still rather be trapped in an elevator with him instead of Shawn Hannity.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChadH View Post
    Think what you like about Bill Maher, I'd still rather be trapped in an elevator with him instead of Shawn Hannity.
    There is a long list of people I'd rather be trapped with Maher than...Hannity is tops on that list.

I'm not really into Bill Maher, but I mean, he is at least a generally rational human being.

Quote Originally Posted by ZombieHavoc View Post
    There is a long list of people I'd rather be trapped with Maher than...Hannity is tops on that list.

I'm not really into Bill Maher, but I mean, he is at least a generally rational human being.
    Best case scenario, Maher brakes out his stash to make the time go faster.

Trump: Farmers will understand if they get hurt in China trade spat

President Trump on Monday acknowledged that U.S. farmers could take a hit from trade disputes with China but said they will ultimately "understand" why the confrontation is necessary.

“But if we do a deal with China, if, during the course of a negotiation they want to hit the farmers because they think that hits me, I wouldn’t say that's nice. But I tell you, our farmers are great patriots,” Trump said.

“These are great patriots. They understand that they're doing this for the country," Trump said. "And we'll make it up to them. And in the end, they're going to be much stronger than they are right now.”
    He added that farmers have been “trending downward over an eight-year period” and said that, because of his actions on NAFTA and China, “farmers will be better off than they ever were.”

The Trump administration has moved aggressively to levy tariffs on China, including $50 billion in penalties proposed early last week. After China retaliated by proposing $50 billion in tariffs on U.S. goods, including soybeans, the White House late Thursday said Trump had ordered officials to look at another $100 billion in tariffs on China.

Many farmers have expressed fear that their livelihoods could be impacted in the escalating trade war, given that China is a major market for agricultural exports, particularly soybean and sorguhm.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Just like I'm sure he'd understand if NYC forced his Trump Tower to install a sprinkler system in all units at his company's expense.

Farmers will understand my ass! Who is Trump trying to fool, other than his lemmings? Farmers are going to be PISSED that they're going to suffer while being made sacrificial lambs on the altar of Trump's ego. And if Dolt45 said he's going to "Make it up to them', the farmers had DAMN well better get that promise in writing, otherwise, he'll shaft them like everyone else he's made promises to over the decades.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Farmers will understand my ass! Who is Trump trying to fool, other than his lemmings? Farmers are going to be PISSED that they're going to suffer while being made sacrificial lambs on the altar of Trump's ego. And if Dolt45 said he's going to "Make it up to them', the farmers had DAMN well better get that promise in writing, otherwise, he'll shaft them like everyone else he's made promises to over the decades.
    He already made that promise in writing when they voted for him and he signed the eternal oath of president of America.