Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    I'd be particularly careful about this attitude towards comedy.

Lenny Bruce went to jail because people didn't like what he talked about in his act. I don't like the idea of heading in that direction again, even by a few inches.
    I can't predict how things will shake out...but, realistically, it's fair to hold people in congress (as well as mayors, governors, presidents) to a higher standard than what a comedian makes jokes about in their acts (as long as they are not committing any of the egregious acts in real life).

Whether someone finds a certain type of joke funny, insensitive, offensive, hateful, etc, is all on the person....but we can't allow people in roles of leadership, people we elect to represent us, to just do shitty things with no consequence.

Simplifying further regarding the Franken allegations and the Trump/Moore/Farenthold/Meadows allegations:

• Democrats are going to try to take a lemon and make it into lemonade for the good of the country.
    • Republicans are taking several lemons, and finding women who have been previously wounded by sexual assault or rape and put lemon juice in their wounds by blaming women, or claiming the accusers are always lying.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by ZombieHavoc View Post
    I can't predict how things will shake out...but, realistically, it's fair to hold people in congress (as well as mayors, governors, presidents) to a higher standard than what a comedian makes jokes about in their acts (as long as they are not committing any of the egregious acts in real life).

Whether someone finds a certain type of joke funny, insensitive, offensive, hateful, etc, is all on the person....but we can't allow people in roles of leadership, people we elect to represent us, to just do shitty things with no consequence.
    Making tasteless jokes isn't shitty unless you are doing it to Troll someone, but groping people when they are asleep undeniably is. I await how things turn out, but until people hold Politicians responsible when they lie I don't think anyone should hold obvious jokes against Comedians whether or not they are in politics.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dalak View Post
    Making tasteless jokes isn't shitty unless you are doing it to Troll someone, but groping people when they are asleep undeniably is. I await how things turn out, but until people hold Politicians responsible when they lie I don't think anyone should hold obvious jokes against Comedians whether or not they are in politics.
    I agree. Although, even though I grew up loving Andrew Dice Clay, I wouldn't want him in politics based on his old comedy. He's kind of an extreme case, though, I think.

I agree. Although, even though I grew up loving Andrew Dice Clay, I wouldn't want him in politics based on his old comedy. He's kind of an extreme case, though, I think.
    I have written in George Carlin for more than one public office over the years, even after he died since I'm sure a corpse can do better than some local politicians in these parts. I also still dream of the day Willie Nelson gets to hot box the oval office, even if I'm fairly sure it'll never happen.

The thread of the conversation at the point I responded was not about the specifics of the incident involving Franken. It was about whether or not some subjects are verboten in comedy.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

I grew up loving Andrew Dice Clay
    I got to see him perform live about ten or so years ago and man, hardest I ever laughed I think.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    I think Democrats are playing the long game, trying to shape American Culture and society even if it costs them politically.

Republicans are plying the short game, trying to grab up every advantage they can regardless of what harm it my cause.

They say that good guys finish last.
    Kind of like the Jedi and the Sith in Star Wars.

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    I'm not going to tell you to get over Hillary, because you're never going to. However, Biden...

Out of context, but there's like a bunch of times stuff like that happened.
    Is it me or is the guy with the dreamy eyes on the left thinking "sigh.... wish it was me sitting on Unca Joe's lap...."

Here I agree with #30...

I mean, the only people who would not vote for Biden because of that kinda smear campaign from a Trump group...I mean, those people weren't voting for Trump anyway.

Man, can you imagine the debate between Biden and Trump, if they were the candidates. Biden would annihilate it at every turn. The difference in mental acuity between the two....man.
    If Democrats run a candidate a sizable group of black women actively dislike, that candidate cannot win.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    If Democrats run a candidate a sizable group of black women actively dislike, that candidate cannot win.
    It doesn’t help..but pretty often the Republican candidate might be disliked more?

Surely fairly often people end up voting for lesser of two evils.

Quote Originally Posted by Tazirai View Post
    Seriously Not everything is the Russians. Our own Right Wingers are just as capable of being asshats.
    There actually are apps that can determine with pretty good accuracy if a Twitter trend starts organically or is driven by bots, you know.

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    It doesn’t help..but pretty often the Republican candidate might be disliked more?

That not happening is one of the reasons we are in The Darkest Timeline right now, though not the only one by far.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalak View Post
    That not happening is one of the reasons we are in The Darkest Timeline right now, though not the only one by far.
    Yes, low voting turn-outs are troubling.

A couple of times, I’ve felt like not bothering on voting day..but the nagging thought of what people went through to win the right to vote always gets me to the voting station before the end of day.

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post

I fully expect Russian bots to roll out Biden's condescending comments about Obama from the primaries to make people forget how they became good friends later.