Page 103 of 6983 FirstFirst ... 35393991001011021031041051061071131532036031103 ... LastLast
Results 1,531 to 1,545 of 104733

Quote Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
    The United States does not now nor has it ever had an "official language" and that's ENTIRELY intentional. See, we WANT immigrants to feel welcome here (in theory, anyway).
    But there used to be an expectation that immigrants would assimilate to American society. And immigrants were happy to do it. That's before we became the world's ATM

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by TroubleWithTrebles View Post
    Not to mention the horrors faced by non USA people who have been out of the workforce for over 10 years to care for handicapped or disabled family who now have their stipends cut... maybe if those robots were already available and covered by anything other than .... Oh, you're yawning. Never mind, back to stuff continents away...
    The thing about robots and the service sector is that that humans will never dissapear from it. The service sector needs a human touch.

BANNED

The United States does not now nor has it ever had an "official language" and that's ENTIRELY intentional. See, we WANT immigrants to feel welcome here (in theory, anyway).
    They can be welcome the same way people are welcome at a new company. We are happy to have you here but we have a certain culture and expectations.

BANNED

which culture would that be?

It's been fun. Toodles. Paradox's Avatar

Batzarro needs to join us in the 21st:

But there used to be an expectation that immigrants would assimilate to American society. And immigrants were happy to do it. That's before we became the world's ATM
    There used to be an expectation that black people wouldn't drink out of white people's drinking fountains and that women wouldn't be in the workplace. Stop living in the past. And, no, there were a LOT of immigrants that never did learn, although their kids did. You have a very odd view of the past.
    'Dox out.

"It’s cold and it’s mean-spirited and I don’t like it here anymore." - Alan Moore

"Can it, you nit!" - Violet Beauregard

"And Paradox is never correct. About anything."- Kid Omega

The Conclave group page on Primus (a work in progress)
    Champions: The Conclave (an updating Facebook Gallery)
    Decorum & Friends (A City of Heroes archive)

BANNED

which culture would that be?
    Americanski culture comrade.

BANNED

There used to be an expectation that black people wouldn't drink out of white people's drinking fountains and that women wouldn't be in the workplace. Stop living in the past. And, no, there were a LOT of immigrants that never did learn, although their kids did. You have a very odd view of the past.
    There were also supertight immigration laws at one point during the 20th century after mass migrations.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Arundel Armor Hunter View Post
    The thing about robots and the service sector is that that humans will never dissapear from it. The service sector needs a human touch.
    Thanks for replying and exhibiting empathy. :-)

The Japanese specifically used the word "replace" in their recent pitch/promotion, adding other work sectors which can get by on few words and a pleasant hyper real face and voice.

Yes, it's also about being inclusive to our immigrant residents. Not isolating them and forcing them to do things. Geez, yes, there's problems sometimes, but mostly because of people like you that still want to insist that English is the only language allowed here.
    People like me? That's rich. Did you miss the post were I said I've worked with these families for 15 years? I've been trying to help them! When I started this job, I was as liberal as Howard Dean. You know what made me more conservative? Life. Experience. Seeing the same families go through the same cycle of poverty, get their benefits, go through their bilingual instructors, and repeat the cycle. I've got news for you; nobody is isolating them. They isolate themselves by seeking to live in areas where Spanish is spoken all around. One parent told me (through translation) "why do I have to speak English? Nobody I know around here speaks English". We're not forcing these folks to do anything! That's the problem! If you live in this country and don't learn English, you are almost guaranteed to stay in poverty. That's the marketplace talking, not me. The very policies "people like you" advocate are hurting the very people you claim to care so much about.

It's been fun. Toodles. Paradox's Avatar

Arundel Armor Hunter isolates:

They can be welcome the same way people are welcome at a new company. We are happy to have you here but we have a certain culture and expectations.
    You are allowed to think whatever you want, but no, it doesn't work that way.

I've said it before, if you're not a full-blooded Native American, you have NO call drawing "them and us" lines about immigrants, legal or illegal.
    'Dox out.

"It’s cold and it’s mean-spirited and I don’t like it here anymore." - Alan Moore

"Can it, you nit!" - Violet Beauregard

"And Paradox is never correct. About anything."- Kid Omega

The Conclave group page on Primus (a work in progress)
    Champions: The Conclave (an updating Facebook Gallery)
    Decorum & Friends (A City of Heroes archive)

BANNED

To both batzarro and Doyen Dox:

There is a difference between not learning English and not loving and being loyal to USA culture (even though Texas culture has jack crap 2do with Miami or Portland culture).

Many folk who speak pidgin USAnglish tenaciously uphold the laws and tenets, and revile those who speak with Harvard perfect diction yet fu(k over fellow citizens daily in whitecollar shenannigans.

Their kids are not succeeding and moving up like the children of immigration past. That's the point. Hispanics should be doing as well as Jews, Asians, and Indians, but they aren't. The reason? Those other three cultures have assimilated into American society, and we have decided not to encourage Hispanic populations to do it. We are also doing nothing about the illegal immigrants that are streaming into their cities and towns to compete for low wage jobs and drain resources from their schools.

BANNED

You are allowed to think whatever you want, but no, it doesn't work that way.

I've said it before, if you're not a full-blooded Native American, you have NO call drawing "them and us" lines about immigrants, legal or illegal.
    Land was stolen through history all the time. Should the Assyrians decide Iraqi immigration policy, should greeks decide what to do with the Crimea. I could go on. It was a fairly long time ago so they have that right.

Quote Originally Posted by TroubleWithTrebles View Post
    To both batzarro and Doyen Dox:

There is a difference between not learning English and not loving and being loyal to USA culture (even though Texas culture has jack crap 2do with Miami or Portland culture).

Many folk who speak pidgin USAnglish tenaciously uphold the laws and tenets, and revile those who speak with Harvard perfect diction yet fu(k over fellow citizens daily in whitecollar shenannigans.
    That's just good old fashioned rough and tough blue collar culture. English is still the language the US constitution was written and most americans interact.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Arundel Armor Hunter View Post
    Americanski culture comrade.
    please tell us what american culture is

Quote Originally Posted by 7thangel View Post
    so he should have demanded or simply ignored the agreement and iraq's wishes, and the american people's wishes, and just stayed there? basically forever.
    We may yet go back to Iraq anyway; whether we want to or not. How long to you think Obama will continue to ignore this if ISIS takes over Bagdad? Or if Syria gets further involved? Drones and airstrikes alone won't cut it as long as the Iraqi national army continues to drop their weapons and run at the sight of ISIS soldiers. Once again, our soldiers will be sent back in a far more dangerous Iraq than they left; all because Obama had to commit to leaving Iraq and not leaving a residual force there. We still have troops stationed in Germany and Japan. Are you outraged about that as well?