BANNED

ugh

she's no Patti Anne Browne, I tell ya

Incredible Member

Here's one Republican's opinion:

There hasn’t been a period since the 1850’s in which one of the two major parties has weakened to the point that it could not field a credible contender for the Presidency. Modern Republicans are flirting with this distinction. It is already clear that the GOP is effectively locked out of a credible shot at the 2016 Election and probably also the 2020 race by virtue of basic demographics. Republicans have built a political platform so skewed toward the interests of a dying, rural, Southern white base that it cannot be adapted to compete nationally.
    [...]
    Trump’s campaign is unleashing forces that will make it impossible for the GOP to nominate a nationally competitive candidate for the foreseeable future. His campaign threatens to weld together interests that will force any Republican Presidential nominee to embrace a white supremacist message that cannot sell in a national election.
    http://goplifer.com/
    --
    The discussion forum for fans of 20th-century comics: http://classiccomics.org

Quote Originally Posted by 7thangel View Post
    link? what newspaper?
    Apparently, it's from this article according to the source I got it from. I haven't searched all the comments, though, for it specifically.

http://www.chron.com/chrontv/this-fo...on-6309198.php

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
    Here's one Republican's opinion:

http://goplifer.com/
    To be fair to the Republican Party (and I'm a near-commie lefty) they had the Reagan legacy to work with from '80-'91, had a clear guy waiting "his turn" with Dole in the mid '90s, and then a continuation of that legacy with the son of Reagan's Veep and also a(n at the time) respected by all sides "maverick" in McCain. They rode W. for 8 years, reheated old McCain (though he'd grown stale and bitter waiting 8 years), and now there's no clear successor. They can continue that Reagan/Bush legacy with Jeb, but run the risk of people's memories not being quite that short, or look to young conservatives like Rubio or Walker. Either way I think they'll find their candidate soon enough, and Trump will go back/continue to be a cartoon character.

Flags at the Dent County Courthouse and Judicial Building will now fly at “below half-staff” on the 26th day of every month from July 2015 until July 2016, the Salem News reported, to mark the day SCOTUS handed down the ruling that legalized same-sex marriage nationwide.
    http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewir...rriage-protest

It's been fun. Toodles. Paradox's Avatar

I'm so sick of these people acting as if there's been a "death of marriage" now that it has been extended to same-sex couples. Nothing has changed for "traditional marriage". It's still available. It's still legal. No changes have been made. But, no, now that "those people" can have cookies, all cookies are forever tainted. Grow the hell up, will ya?
    'Dox out.

"It’s cold and it’s mean-spirited and I don’t like it here anymore." - Alan Moore

"Can it, you nit!" - Violet Beauregard

"And Paradox is never correct. About anything."- Kid Omega

The Conclave group page on Primus (a work in progress)
    Champions: The Conclave (an updating Facebook Gallery)
    Decorum & Friends (A City of Heroes archive)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    Apparently, it's from this article according to the source I got it from. I haven't searched all the comments, though, for it specifically.

http://www.chron.com/chrontv/this-fo...on-6309198.php
    if it's the houston chronicle then i'm assuming it's either a letter to the editor or they have a wingnut in their opinion pieces since the rag is supposed to be somewhat to the left

Quote Originally Posted by 7thangel View Post
    if it's the houston chronicle then i'm assuming it's either a letter to the editor or they have a wingnut in their opinion pieces since the rag is supposed to be somewhat to the left
    No, no. It was a comment. I shared it because it was hilarious.
    Last edited by Tendrin; 07-13-2015 at 09:58 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    No, no. It was a comment. I shared it because it was hilarious.
    oh, okay, my bad. lol

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Man, that honor guard is totally gonna get ripped from raising and lowering that thing so often.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

It's our latest reminder of what a crock the statement "Nuh uh. Both parties are just as bad," actually is...

It’s Your Crazy/Stupid Republican of the Day!
    One year ago on this date, we looked at disgraced former Arizona State Senator Russell Pearce, the man who introduced the anti-immigrant SB 1070 bill, and had been training a former Neo-Nazi militiaman to be his heir apparent until that guy committed mass murder (Good times). As Pearce was successfully removed from office in a recall election and unable to weasel his way back into the state legislature in a different district after redistricting, I'm going to skip updating his profile, and giving this day to another member of the party to focus on at this time.(Current crazy/stupid scoreboard, is now 368-12, since this was established in July 2014.)

Marco Rubio

Back in 2010, the Marco Rubio was elected to the United States Senate in Florida, and seemed very different going into that race than most GOP Tea Party Wave candidates. A lot of pundits immediately began trumpeting him as the solution the Republican Party's wavering support amongst Latino voters in polls, and the Republican Party hot-shotted him into delivering the 2013 GOP response to President Obama's State of the Union speech (where he became noteworthy for being so damned thirsty). I mean, his family story was harrowing... his parents fled the Castro regime in Cuba to make a better life for themselves in America, only to give birth to a son who would go into politics and rise to such high echelons of power like the embodiment of the American dream!

Well, the problem was, Rubio's own family story was a fabrication. People researched his family history, and found out his parents emigrated in May of 1956. That's three whole years before the Cuban Revolution in 1959. They didn't flee Castro or communism... they left before any of that happened. Senator Rubio, when called out on this, blamed it on his family by saying he was just "repeating family lore".

Uh huh.

But unlike most Republicans, Marco Rubio was chock full of legislative ideas! That's right, unlike his "smaller government" compatriots, he wrote a book about 100 ideas to improve Florida while he was a state legislator. He even bragged about how 57 of his ideas were made into law. The problem with that? Politifact checked his count, and found less than half that, 24, were actually made into law and there were 10 more they could argue "maybe". Even with those 10, he still fell at least 23 short of his claim. So... way to exaggerate to pad your resume, Marco.

Politically, since that point, Rubio has turned into a complete cypher, and has changed positions on several key issues. When he was in the Florida legislature in 2007, he helped move a bill through the state legislature to limit carbon emissions and seemed like he was environmentally a lot more liberal than most Republicans. But by 2010, he was attacking Charlie Crist in the Republican Senate Primary for being too environmentally conscious while denying the science behind climate change and stumping for pro-oil campaigns like "Drill Here, Drill Now". That's a pretty glaring shift.

More importantly, Rubio campaigned hard during his 2010 campaign and was supposedly the guy who was going to get to Washington and make sure that the GOP made comprehensive immigration reform a top priority. His favorability amongst Latino voters was easily the highest of any Republican. At least... it WAS. Since arriving in the Senate, nothing has been done on immigration reform, at all, and nothing has come from Rubio but empty talk. Hell, he might have seemed moderate when he criticized Arizona's SB 1070 law when it was passed in 2010, but within a week, he turned around and verbally supported it, instead. Rubio also spoke out against the DREAM Act. That's... hardly a moderate outlook on the issue.

Rubio even can catch heat for being an enigma on his choice of religion, as he tried burying the little known detail that his family moved to Nevada for a few years, and he and his siblings were baptized by the Mormon church (a cousin revealed that, as well as what a mark he was for Donny & Marie Osmond). He then converted back to Catholicism, but is often seen pandering to a Southern Baptist megachurch in Boston. Now, there's nothing wrong with having faith, but it's a bit unsettling to see someone transition between different ones in such a mercurial way.

And he's definitely not moderate on LGBT rights, repeatedly speaking out not only against same-sex marriage, but even gay couples adopting children. When Indiana made headlines in a bad way by passing a "religious freedom" law last year, Senator Rubio voiced his support for it. Which really shouldn't be a surprise, since he supported ENDA, believing businesses should be able to fire people for being gay. And when he spoke at Catholic University in July 2014, Rubio said that Americans who don't support traditional marriage... THEY'RE the intolerant ones. He resents anybody that anyone might think his fervently anti-gay beliefs are bigotry, at all.

Some other fun moments from Senator Rubio:

This... is a candidate for president, who thus far, can claim his greatest achievement as a Senator has been to polish off a bottle of water in the middle of a nationally-televised rebuttal speech. I wish I was joking about that, but seriously, if you could name an achievement by Senator Rubio of note that isn't just "participated in a filibuster" or utterly embarrassing, I'd be grateful. I'd like to think someone could accomplish something over a five year span in the Senate.

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    Man, that honor guard is totally gonna get ripped from raising and lowering that thing so often.
    Maybe ripped enough that they'll earn some gay admirers.

So there's an Iran deal.

And, naturally, conservatives are apoplectic.