Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    I think that lone wolves, self-radicalized either at home or abroad are going to be the biggest problem in terms of terrorism instead of organized groups like ISIS or al Queda for years to come.
    Yeah. Much like a mass shooter like James Holmes or Jared Loughner... you can't exactly track it. Abdulazeez didn't set off any warning flags with friends or family for being prepared to do anything like this.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    Yeah. Much like a mass shooter like James Holmes or Jared Loughner... you can't exactly track it. Abdulazeez didn't set off any warning flags with friends or family for being prepared to do anything like this.
    Or worse, friends or family who may suspect a loved one is about to go off the rails but refuses to believe he might turn to violence. A friend of Dylann Roof was said to have had suspicions about him, but didn't act on them. We all know how that story turned out.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    Much of what drives Republican and conservative politics today (and many people's understandings of politics) is zero-sum thinking. If African Americans make gains, it must come at the expense of whites, who will do less well. They look at the shrinking pie and blame immigrants, affirmative action and more, assuming the decline of their status must be from other people getting 'something', because it's zero-sum. This extends to conservative politics writ large, and is one reason why we see the hatred of compromise, IMO.

Of course, it's all nonsense.
    Then there's the anti-gay Christianist bigots who haven't stopped whining about their 'rights' being 'attacked' ever since they were forced* - forced, I tell you! - to treat gay people like human beings.

* You can always tell who the real Christians are - they're the ones who don't need laws to make them treat people with decency, kindness and respect.

Quote Originally Posted by lancerman View Post
    If people were more engaged and educated it woud solve these problems slot faster.
    Yep. Which is why Republicans are doing their damndest to slash education budgets, and pass laws to stop 'certain types' from voting.
    Last edited by Spike-X; 07-19-2015 at 04:20 AM.

BANNED

well this happened

http://dailycaller.com/2015/07/18/sa...ve-conference/

Sanders, a long-time advocate against “income inequality,” attempted to make opening remarks on the subject, but was shouted down by the same protesters. He replied, “Black lives of course matter. But I have spent 50 years of my life fighting for civil rights and if you don’t want me to be here, that’s OK. I will answer your question but I’d like to speak for a couple of minutes, I was told…”

Never able to speak for any amount of time, Sanders soon left the stage long before his discussion was scheduled to end.
    One doesn't get many chances to get the black/minority vote on your side, so when one blows a chance like this, it is worth noting

Quote Originally Posted by TheInvisibleMan View Post
    well this happened

http://dailycaller.com/2015/07/18/sa...ve-conference/

One doesn't get many chances to get the black/minority vote on your side, so when one blows a chance like this, it is worth noting
    I don't know what else they were expecting of him. He just agreed with them, then tried to move on to his planned remarks, and they wouldn't let him.

Still, this does highlight one of my worries about Bernie Sanders... that outside of talking populist economic policy, he's not as comfortable.

BANNED

no, he tried to placate them, like most every politician does with minority voters

he should have engaged, but he was out of his comfort zone and retreated

EARN IT

Mighty Member

At the moment, they still haven't found a solid terror link between the Chatanooga shooter and a terrorist group. They're still looking for a motive. One of the other theories that doesn't play to a cultural stereotype was that he was suffering from depression, and mentally ill.
    But since the shooter traveled to the Middle East last year, people will most likely arrive at the conclusion that he self-radicalized.
    The real question is how much overlap there is?

Mighty Member

I think that lone wolves, self-radicalized either at home or abroad are going to be the biggest problem in terms of terrorism instead of organized groups like ISIS or al Queda for years to come.
    But rounding up and/or expelling Muslims, or at least treating them all as suspects, reassures segments of society in ways that dealing thusly with everyone who shares Holms' or Loughner's nominal faith does not.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheInvisibleMan View Post
    no, he tried to placate them, like most every politician does with minority voters

he should have engaged, but he was out of his comfort zone and retreated

EARN IT
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Sanders
    “Black lives of course matter. But I have spent 50 years of my life fighting for civil rights and if you don’t want me to be here, that’s OK. I will answer your question but I’d like to speak for a couple of minutes, I was told…”

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2015/07/18/sa...#ixzz3gLWsfWVc
    What would you have considered non-placating?

Quote Originally Posted by heretic View Post
    But rounding up and/or expelling Muslims, or at least treating them all as suspects, reassures segments of society in ways that dealing thusly with everyone who shares Holms' or Loughner's nominal faith does not.
    And that's a far scarier thought. Systematic discrimination.
    Last edited by worstblogever; 07-19-2015 at 07:31 AM.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by heretic View Post
    And that's a far scarier thought. Systematic discrimination.
    Those comments got me to thinking about the Japanese internment camps back in World War II. This will probably sound extreme, but who's to say some crackpot xenophobic Republican isn't dwelling on that idea to deal with Muslims?
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Those comments got me to thinking about the Japanese internment camps back in World War II. This will probably sound extreme, but who's to say some crackpot xenophobic Republican isn't dwelling on that idea to deal with Muslims?
    My money would be on someone like NY Rep. Peter King with something like that. Maybe Iowa Rep. Steve King, but he's too busy worrying about Mexicans to be as paranoid about Muslims.

An update on our original profile from a year ago on one of the co-authors of the 2012 GOP Platform, conservative historian/exposed fraud from Texas, David Barton:

That's right, an Evangelical Republican who teaches history from an alternative timeline that never existed was allowed to lead a group prayer at the 2012 Republican National Convention, and then go in and be one of the bigger influences upon writing the party platform. This, in spite of the fact that he wrote "The Jefferson Lies", a book that falsely claimed Thomas Jefferson intended America to be a Christian nation, and was such a load of bunk that less than three months after it was released, his publisher had it yanked from bookstores around the country. None of this has stopped the GOP Evangelicals from continuing to disseminate whatever falsehoods Barton writes amongst their members, when they should have lanced him like a boil from their ranks before he did further damage to their reputation the past few years of, y'know, rejecting facts. The conservative media has folks like Glenn Beck and the Family Research Council still proudly welcome David Barton as a guest, not just swallowing the tripe he serves up, but lying on his behalf and touting all the scholarly credentials he doesn't actually have.

How insane does David Barton continue to be? These are but some of the statements he has made in the past year, since he was originally given a CSGOPOTD profile:

Yes, all that crazy happened in the past 12 months (and that's far from all of it).

I know, a lot of people might overlook David Barton because he does not hold, or intend to run for a political office, but the inexplicable levels of influence he holds in the Republican Party, being allowed to dictate policy in the party platform and the deranged philosophies and falsehoods he willfully spreads make him one of the most dangerous of individuals to the mental health of Republicans out there today.
    Last edited by worstblogever; 07-19-2015 at 09:22 AM.

BANNED

I don't know what else they were expecting of him. He just agreed with them, then tried to move on to his planned remarks, and they wouldn't let him.

Still, this does highlight one of my worries about Bernie Sanders... that outside of talking populist economic policy, he's not as comfortable.
    nutroots, oops, i mean netroots isn't a place where you just do your usual stump speech. when asked about how you will deal with police brutality, the answer isn't jobs. when asked about how to deal with discrimination, redlining, etc, the answer isn't jobs. when asked about a pathway to citizenship, the answer isn't jobs. i can go on and on. you have to earn that vote, and earn it from the actual base of the dem party, fuck being comfortable. somehow o'malley handled it better afterwords, despite his fuck up, while the bern was awol and canceled an interview.