Texas state agriculture commissioner Sid Miller posted a fake photo of President Barack Obama holding up a Che Guevara T-shirt late Tuesday on Facebook, alongside a critique of the President's decision to continue his Latin America trip after deadly terror attacks in Brussels.

The Houston Chronicle flagged Miller's photo on Wednesday. Miller wrote that "Obama is laughing at us" and "doesn't care" about the symbolism of a shirt depicting a Marxist revolutionary like Guevara.
    http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewir...hoto-obama-che

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

So in North Carolina, legislators passed a bill, which was sign by Governor Pat McCrory, that prevents cities and counties from passing their own anti-discrimination rules.

Although 12 House Democrats joined all Republicans present in voting for the bill in the afternoon, later all Senate Democrats in attendance walked off their chamber floor during the debate in protest. Remaining Senate Republicans gave the legislation unanimous approval.

"We choose not to participate in this farce," Senate Minority Leader Dan Blue of Raleigh said after he left the chamber.

Senate leader Phil Berger of Eden said the Democrats' decision to leave was a "serious breach of their obligation to the citizens that voted to elect them."

Republicans and their allies have said intervening is necessary to protect the safety of women and children from "radical" action by Charlotte. There have been arguments that any man — perhaps a sex offender — could enter a woman's restroom or locker room simply by calling himself transgender.

"It's common sense — biological men should not me be in women's showers, locker rooms and bathrooms," said GOP Rep. Dean Arp of Monroe before the chamber voted 82-26 for the legislation after nearly three hours of debate.

I'll only say this. The issue deserves discussion and consideration, unfortunately the Republicans seem to prefer to deal with it by using a Proverbial Sledge Hammer.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

The House easily passed two seemingly noncontroversial bills on Tuesday to encourage recruiting women for science careers.

But four male conservative Republicans broke ranks with all other lawmakers who showed up to vote.

The first of the two measures, which would authorize the National Science Foundation to use its entrepreneurial programs to recruit women, passed 383-4. The other bill, passed 380-3, would require NASA to develop a plan for facilitating mentorship programs between established scientists and female K-12 students interested in science fields.

No one spoke in opposition to either bill during House floor debate.
    Yet Republican Reps. Justin Amash (Mich.), Louie Gohmert (Texas) and Thomas Massie (Ky.) voted against both bills. Rep. Glenn Grothman (R-Wis.) supported the science mentorship legislation but opposed the other measure.
    http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-actio...science-fields

Something for WBE to add when he updates their profiles. :P

It's been fun. Toodles. Paradox's Avatar

BeastieRunner wants everything:

Open primaries should be the law, not the exception.

You shouldn't have to register for a party to pick a candidate nor should you be limited to one party during a primary (just one vote per party).
    I have to disagree. I don't think it's the responsibility of the parties to allow non-party members to vote in their primary. They may allow it, but it's up to them. It's not the general, these people are not running for President, they're running for their party's nomination. If you're not part of that party, you really don't have any "rights" to vote.

Frankly, I'm an actual independent (although I don't register as such...I don't register as anything). Michigan has open primaries and I don't vote in them because I'm not a member of those parties (in fact, hate the very concept of political parties). It's not my call to tell them who to run, just to vote on whoever they actually run.
    Last edited by Paradox; 03-23-2016 at 10:46 PM.
    'Dox out.

"It’s cold and it’s mean-spirited and I don’t like it here anymore." - Alan Moore

"Can it, you nit!" - Violet Beauregard

"And Paradox is never correct. About anything."- Kid Omega

The Conclave group page on Primus (a work in progress)
    Champions: The Conclave (an updating Facebook Gallery)
    Decorum & Friends (A City of Heroes archive)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    But, that means the other 40 percent are just fine with the vulgar, infantile, schoolyard antics of their candidates. That they have no problem with Trump having transformed the GOP campaign into a three ring circus while singlehandedly turning the country into a laughingstock.
    Well, somebody's doing all the raping of the GOP.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    No thanks. I'm good.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    I'll only say this. The issue deserves discussion and consideration, unfortunately the Republicans seem to prefer to deal with it by using a Proverbial Sledge Hammer.
    We're on the long slow march towards unisex bathrooms. I have no idea why people have decided that would be where they draw the line in the sand.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JCAll View Post
    We're on the long slow march towards unisex bathrooms. I have no idea why people have decided that would be where they draw the line in the sand.
    Because bigoted right wingers and head-up-their-ass bible thumpers believe that would spell the end of civilization as we know it.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

It's been fun. Toodles. Paradox's Avatar

It's because there are lobbying groups that go around to everyplace having votes on anti-discrimination laws and making it a big issue. They did it here several years ago in the same situation (proud of my town, the anti-discrimination laws passed overwhelmingly), and they've done it all over the country. It's a trick to get people all worked up. Fear mongering over something there's no reason to fear.
    'Dox out.

"It’s cold and it’s mean-spirited and I don’t like it here anymore." - Alan Moore

"Can it, you nit!" - Violet Beauregard

"And Paradox is never correct. About anything."- Kid Omega

The Conclave group page on Primus (a work in progress)
    Champions: The Conclave (an updating Facebook Gallery)
    Decorum & Friends (A City of Heroes archive)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Will you link that poll please?
    http://pollingreport.com/wh16.htm

Scroll down to the CBS News/New York Times Poll. March 17-20, 2016. N=1,058 registered voters nationwide.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Brigonos Chomhgaill View Post
    I thought the legal challenge was being brought because Arizona weakened the VRA in a way that disproportionately excludes non-white voters? Not something that bothers Clinton or her supporters, I notice.
    That makes no sense at all, considering that minority voters break for Hillary in a big way in most states.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    The thing I can't wrap my head around is voters being registered to a party, period.
    How is it in Belgium? I understand that in some countries, the parties are more like clubs or associations that only few people join, and you pay a fee, and as a member you can both run for office and you get to choose who runs for office. That is very different from the primary system. But not necessarily more democratic.

BANNED

So according to them, new Men's Health cover model Benjamin Melzer is forced to use the Ladies' Room. Wondering how the ladies will feel about that.

Quote Originally Posted by jeanvaljean View Post
    That makes no sense at all, considering that minority voters break for Hillary in a big way in most states.
    African American voters, certainly, but there are other non-Caucasian voting blocks of significant size that would be affected by a weakened VRA - Latinos, for example.