Page 283 of 6983 FirstFirst ... 1832332732792802812822832842852862872933333837831283 ... LastLast
Results 4,231 to 4,245 of 104733

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    Its interesting reading right-wing posts on this topic.

http://www.wnd.com/2014/08/militariz...s/?cat_orig=us
    LMAO @ the mention of "The New Black Panther party".

That's a group that's only relevant in conservative circles.

Good. They need to get that dumbf*** sheriff out of there before the place actually is the war zone the cops seem to want so bad.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Ferguson might just be Obama's Katrina if he keeps screwing up these speeches.

BANNED

So Obama recently did a press conference where he discussed both Iraq and the situation in Missouri. His statement about Missouri was short, but still ended up hitting all the right points. Acknowledging what a horrible tragedy this is while at the same time condemning any non-peaceful protesting..while also condemning the way the police were treating the protesters who were being peaceful.

Totally relevant right now.

Attachment 8034

Quote Originally Posted by Double 0 View Post

Attachment 8034
    but wait, I was told MLK Jr didn't see race and was all about peacefully begging for equality...

BANNED

Attachment 8034
    I do not agree with some of his points. He might of been right about them at the time he said them, but I don't know if I would apply everything to now. For instance, I truly do not believe people are more devoted to order then justice. What I believe is that people want both. Just like I believe people have no problem with people taking direct action in order to make sure something like this never happens again.

BANNED

most people want to solve the obvious problem and not take accountability for the institutional racism that permeates so much of this country

its easier to lock people away than it is to look in the mirror

its also easier to try to suppress information than be held accountable for the f'd up things you try and get away with

Quote Originally Posted by Surtur View Post
    I do not agree with some of his points. He might of been right about them at the time he said them, but I don't know if I would apply everything to now. For instance, I truly do not believe people are more devoted to order then justice. What I believe is that people want both. Just like I believe people have no problem with people taking direct action in order to make sure something like this never happens again.
    History has continually shown us otherwise and even current events has shown us otherwise.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kasper Cole View Post
    History has continually shown us otherwise and even current events has shown us otherwise.
    I think current events show us that *police* are more devoted to order then justice. The police do not represent the general population of this country.

Quote Originally Posted by Surtur View Post
    I think current events show us that *police* are more devoted to order then justice. The police do not represent the general population of this country.
    Lets not pretend as if the police don't have a sizable group of supporters.

And it goes beyond the police. The general public has shown time and time again that they won't support measures to ensure equality and fair treatment if they even think it inconveniences them in the slightest way.

Order generally means silence and maintenance of the status quo. You can't have progress without a disruption of order to some degree or another.

So any talk of wanting justice and order has and always does ring hollow, particularly in a nation with our history of uprisings in the name of freedom and justice.

Shit, Obama just gave a speech that sounded like he wanted order rather than justice.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kasper Cole View Post
    Lets not pretend as if the police don't have a sizable group of supporters.

And it goes beyond the police. The general public has shown time and time again that they won't support measures to ensure equality and fair treatment if they even think it inconveniences them in the slightest way.

Order generally means silence and maintenance of the status quo. You can't have progress without a disruption of order to some degree or another.

So any talk of wanting justice and order has and always does ring hollow, particularly in a nation with our history of uprisings in the name of freedom and justice.
    Pretty much and more often than not it comes at the expense of minorities

BANNED

Shit, Obama just gave a speech that sounded like he wanted order rather than justice.
    Is this order and justice thing sort of like freedom vs security.

willful naiveté doesn't help anyone, in fact it does the exact opposite. It's another form of disregarding the voices and experiences of the oppressed.