BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    Much of the left decries their hijabs as symbols of oppressive theocracy and patriarchy. Accept "the truth" and be an atheist "feminist."
    And much of the right believes that hijabs are a catch-all marker for parasites and terrorists that they should wipe off the face of the earth. Accept "the truth" and become a Christian "Patriot."

Much of the left decries their hijabs as symbols of oppressive theocracy and patriarchy. Accept "the truth" and be an atheist "feminist."
    This is simply untrue of 'much' of the left. It sounds like you're trying to extrapolate the opinions of some loud atheists and a handful of overzealous feminists to the entire left. Mind you, their concern of Muslim women has to do with the fact that people are assaulting and threatening Muslim women for their visibility.

Mind you, on the right, you've got Allen West calling for genocide and THEN getting to go to Trump Tower.
    Last edited by Tendrin; 12-13-2016 at 09:16 AM.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

I don't give half a **** about theocracy and patriarchy. I'm talking about common human decency and respect. Being insulted or attacked for wearing a piece of cloth is, and I can't put this any plainer....FUCKED UP!
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Scientists are frantically copying U.S. climate data, fearing it might vanish under Trump

Alarmed that decades of crucial climate measurements could vanish under a hostile Trump administration, scientists have begun a feverish attempt to copy reams of government data onto independent servers in hopes of safeguarding it from any political interference.

The efforts include a “guerrilla archiving” event in Toronto, where experts will copy irreplaceable public data, meetings at the University of Pennsylvania focused on how to download as much federal data as possible in the coming weeks, and a collaboration of scientists and database experts who are compiling an online site to harbor scientific information.
    I think their panic is justified.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

People need to understand that the hijabs are part of their faith and culture. My parents went to a Catholic church and back in the day all women in church had to have a covering over their head but the men had to remove their hats in church! Chapel veils or Mantillas are still seen in some houses of worship even today. The wearing of hats and other head gear has evolved over the years and some cultures are more conservative than others. Watch any movie from the 1940s and most men are wearing hats. Sometimes I wish people were still more traditional in what is suitable to wear in public (see the infamous wardrobe choices of the People of WalMart) Not everyone should be wearing yoga pants One would think that conservatives would respect conservative wardrobe choices.

Also, an interesting quote from a Catholic site:

St. Paul reminds us that as Christ did the will, and sought the honour of God the Father, so the Christian should avow his subjection to Christ, doing His will and seeking His glory. We should seek a fitting demeanour in our dress and habit, avoiding everything that may be dishonourable before the Throne of God. By covering her head with a veil (or mantilla) the woman is agreeing to her beautiful and unique feminine status. She is showing respect and reverence for the holy angels too, always invisibly present before the Blessed Sacrament, who will come to her side in love and protection. This veiling of the woman before the Lord Our God, may also be a humble imitation of the angels’ behaviour, who when they sang the praises of God, and adored and glorified his perfections, covered their faces and their feet with their wings. (Isaiah 6:2)
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 12-13-2016 at 09:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    People need to understand that the hijabs are part of their faith and culture. My parents went to a Catholic church and back in the day all women in church had to have a covering over their head but the men had to remove their hats in church! Chapel veils or Mantillas are still seen in some houses of worship even today. The wearing of hats and other head gear has evolved over the years and some cultures are more conservative than others. Watch any movie from the 1940s and most men are wearing hats. Sometimes I wish people were still more traditional in what is suitable to wear in public (see the infamous wardrobe choices in the People of WalMart) Not everyone should be wearing yoga pants One would think that conservatives would respect conservative wardrobe choices.
    I have family pictures of my grandmother, my babcia, wearing a babushka. No one back then ever dared imagine trying to rip her headscarf off of her head.

Remember folks: Religious liberty only applies to Christians. Other religions are merely tolerated in the new "alt-right" America.

BANNED

its less decries and more bringing up the symbolism of the hijab in context to its religion and making sure people are educated

I don't know any feminist (and I know a lot, I live 10 min from Yale) that would insult anyone for wearing one or throw dirt in the face of a 1 year old child to get a point across

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    I have family pictures of my grandmother, my babcia, wearing a babushka. No one back then ever dared imagine trying to rip her headscarf off of her head.
    I bet she'd a whupped their ass if they tried

As a kippah-wearing Jewish American man, I understand the desire and duty to wear a head-covering. But, don't kid yourself...many women of Middle-Eastern descent are forced to wear them. Here's a picture of a protest in 1979 when Iranian women were forced to cover their heads:

There are lots of young women's grandmas in that picture whose grandmas were forced to wear head-coverings and now it is ingrained in their society that it is the 'right' and 'moral' thing to do.

Many areas in the US used to require that women wear dresses (no pants allowed) anything else was considered 'indecent'...what if we go back to that and in three generations any woman wearing pants would be jailed, disowned, or even killed. It's the same thing.
    Team Photo & Silver Surfer Flash Mob

SHSO Name: Gallant Centurion Spy

CBR/SHSO Player Directory

If you want your squad name added to the CBR/SHSO player directory or our wiki let me know!

BANNED

It's racist to automatically assume that Grannie's Babushka is her choice, but Fatima's Hijab was forced on her. Both women were told wearing it was the right and moral thing to do within the context of their religion. You can't look at someone in religious dress and know that they're wearing it out of fear. Same goes for your Kippah!

How Donald Trump's Business Ties Are Already Jeopardizing U.S. Interests

The conflicts between the commercial interests of the Trump family and U.S. foreign policy extend beyond the many financial benefits for the next president and his children. Already, there is a situation in which the president of the United States could be blackmailed by a foreign power through pressure related to his family’s business entanglements.

In 2008, the Trump Organization struck a multimillion-dollar branding deal with the Dogan Group, a large corporation named after its influential family, for a two-tower complex in Istanbul. In 2012, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan presided over the opening ceremonies and met with Trump. But in June of this year, Erdogan called for the Trump name to be removed from the complex because of his anti-Muslim rhetoric; the Turkish president also said presiding over the dedication had been a terrible mistake. Erdogan later told associates he intended to impede America’s use of a critical Air Force base in Turkey should Trump win the presidency, a Middle Eastern financier with contacts inside the Turkish government told Newsweek. The financier spoke on condition of anonymity to avoid jeopardizing relations with his official contacts.

In July, members of the Turkish military attempted a coup. Erdogan crushed the plotters, and his government has arrested more than 36,000 suspected participants and shut down 17 media outlets. The primary culprit, Erdogan declared almost immediately, was Fethullah Gülen, a 77-year-old Muslim spiritual leader who has lived in Pennsylvania’s Poconos region for many years. Erdogan demanded that the Obama administration extradite Gülen to face charges related to the coup.

Gülen and Erdogan were allies until 2013, the year a series of corruption investigations erupted regarding government officials accused of engaging in a “gas for gold” scheme with Iran; Erdogan claimed the man with whom he once shared common goals was the driving force behind the inquiries, which he called an attempted “civilian coup.” Erdogan has placed Gülen on country’s list of most-wanted terrorists, but the Obama administration has not acted on the extradition request, and it has told the Turks they would have to produce proof of Gülen’s involvement in the coup attempt before he could be sent to Ankara, the Turkish capital.

Enter Donald Trump. The day of the U.S. election, the news site The Hill published an article by Lieutenant General Michael T. Flynn, who has since been named as Trump’s national security adviser. “The forces of radical Islam derive their ideology from radical clerics like Gülen, who is running a scam,” Flynn wrote. “We should not provide him safe haven…. It is imperative that we remember who our real friends are.” (Flynn, who runs a consulting firm hired by a company with links to the Turkish government, seems unaware that radical Islamic groups like the Islamic State, or ISIS, are more likely to decapitate someone like Gülen.)
    In a telephone call that same day with Erdogan, Trump passed on compliments to the Turkish president from a senior official with his company’s business partner on the Istanbul project, whom the president-elect was reported to have called “a close friend.” The official, Mehmet Ali Yalcindag, is the son-in-law of Dogan Holding owner Aydin Dogan and was instrumental in the development of the Trump complex in Turkey. That Trump delivered messages from his business partner to Erdogan has been reported in numerous media outlets in Turkey, including some closely tied to the government, and has not been denied by Turkish officials or the Trump transition team.

In a telephone call that same day with Erdogan, Trump passed on compliments to the Turkish president from a senior official with his company’s business partner on the Istanbul project, whom the president-elect was reported to have called “a close friend.” The official, Mehmet Ali Yalcindag, is the son-in-law of Dogan Holding owner Aydin Dogan and was instrumental in the development of the Trump complex in Turkey. That Trump delivered messages from his business partner to Erdogan has been reported in numerous media outlets in Turkey, including some closely tied to the government, and has not been denied by Turkish officials or the Trump transition team.
    In summary, Turkey is holding Trump's business partners hostage and threatening both Trump and Dogan financially if Trump doesn't extradite the Iman living in PA.

I think we can discuss the misogynistic and patriarchal nature of a religion without insulting the women who live under it.

BANNED

How Donald Trump's Business Ties Are Already Jeopardizing U.S. Interests

In summary, Turkey is holding Trump's business partners hostage and threatening both Trump and Dogan financially if Trump doesn't extradite the Iman living in PA.
    because Erdogan is another iron fisted brute who doesn't deal well with dissent

Im sure him and Assad would get along famously

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

All I can say about that is....work faster, guys! Time is running out! I have zero doubt that information will be deep sixed after Trump and his Legion of Doom cabinet takes over next month.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!