Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Let the late night comedians respond to tRump's tweets. The NEWS media should focus on the real issues.

Quote Originally Posted by The Overlord View Post
    That is why I said Western countries, as in Western democracies, first world countries. The US has a lower rate of gun violence than many developing countries, but has a far higher rate of gun violence then other first world countries.
    Well as far as I know Honduras is still a western democracy but i would like to know are the measurements that one must use to say if a country is first,second or third work country, are we taking the GDP or the human development index?

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    ...has he? Has he ever learned anything?

No seriously, this isn't some obscure figure. She has literally been printed on our money.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by mojotastic View Post
    Well as far as I know Honduras is still a western democracy but i would like to know are the measurements that one must use to say if a country is first,second or third work country, are we taking the GDP or the human development index?
    Here is a rough outline of the difference:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Developing_country

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Developed_country

Honduras is a democracy and it is in the Western hemisphere, but it is not developed country like say Canada, Germany, US, UK, France, etc.

By the same metric, the US has a way better health care system then Honduras, but not as good as the system from France:

http://thepatientfactor.com/canadian...ealth-systems/

So who do we judge the US against, other first world countries or developing countries?

If we count gun violence as murder or homicides by firearm then the country with highest rate of gun violence is Honduras.
    They need yo make official NRA "At least we're not Honduras" t-shirts.

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Is this a real picture since I see it making the rounds.

If it is, hilarious! If it isn't, still funny!

Quote Originally Posted by JCAll View Post
    They need yo make official NRA "At least we're not Honduras" t-shirts.
    Hey in favor of Honrduras they have a strict guns laws but that does no mean the population is safer, the same can be said about Mexico, and Colombia which currently has a ban on firearms because of their peace treaty.

Hey in favor of Honrduras they have a strict guns laws but that does no mean the population is safer, the same can be said about Mexico, and Colombia which currently has a ban on firearms because of their peace treaty.
    I don't mean anything against Honduras. It's just that the US is one of the biggest, richest, and most powerful nation in the world, in the history of the world. We should be among the people paving the way, not making excuses why we don't want to even try. I get disappointed when my country falls short of the potential I see in it.

Astonishing Member

I think there are several reasons why Honduras does not make for a good model in comparison to any first world country:

http://www.politifact.com/punditfact...witzerland-gu/

No offense to Honduras, but I just do not think its fair to compare it to a developed first world country or use it as a yard stick to judge US laws and policies.

The Swiss have lax gun laws, but it has less gun violence then the US

Canada and the US are similar to each other, but Canada has a lower rate of gun violence.

There are a lot of different factors to look at here.
    Last edited by The Overlord; 03-29-2017 at 05:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Overlord View Post
    I think there are several reasons why Honduras does not make for a good model in comparison to any first world country:

http://www.politifact.com/punditfact...witzerland-gu/

No offense to Honduras, but I just do not think its fair to compare it to a developed first world country or use it as a yard stick to judge US laws and policies.

The Swiss have lax gun laws, but it has less gun violence then the US

Canada and the US are similar to each other, but Canada has a lower rate of gun violence.

There are a lot of different factors to look at here.
    Arent some state like Illinois have strict gun regulation but still have higher gun murder rates than New Hampshire which has more relax gun regulation? I found this while searching on the fire arm murder rates.

Also is possible to have a higher rate of gun murder but a lower rate of murder overall.

Also on the subject of Illinois gun murder rate, what gives?

Astonishing Member

Arent some state like Illinois have strict gun regulation but still have higher gun murder rates than New Hampshire which has more relax gun regulation? I found this while searching on the fire arm murder rates.

Also is possible to have a higher rate of gun murder but a lower rate of murder overall.
    But again, Canada is similar to the US and has far less gun violence then most of the US. Toronto is one of the safest big cities in North America.

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/to...des-police-say

Gun laws are just one factor in the grand scheme of things, the amount of economic disparity in an area can contribute to more crime and more gun violence. Gun violence does not have one single causal factor.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    I said as much. If this person doesn't do it, many others will try including News and Media.
    I'm sure Mark Cuban is warming up his checkbook. This sounds like something he'd sink his teeth into.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

White House plan to help pay for border wall is a long shot

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The White House is calling for immediate budget cuts of $18 billion from programs like medical research, infrastructure and community development grants to help pay for the border wall that President Donald Trump repeatedly promised would be financed by Mexico.

The administration would eliminate $1.2 billion in National Institutes of Health research grants, a favorite of both parties. The community development block grant program, also popular, would be halved, amounting to a cut of $1.5 billion, and Trump would strip $500 million from a transportation project known as TIGER grants.

Like Trump's 2018 budget, which was panned by both Democrats and Republicans earlier this month, the proposals have little chance to be enacted.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.