Page 501 of 6983 FirstFirst ... 40145149149749849950050150250350450551155160110011501 ... LastLast
Results 7,501 to 7,515 of 104733

Quote Originally Posted by Kid A View Post
    Next they're going to recognize Narnia.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Hopkins View Post
    It's interesting how right wingers always take up panicky, fearful causes like Ebola hysteria and "wars on" things. I guess they can't win on logic, so they get to people whose logic is easy to short-circuit with fear.

Stephen Colbert aired an anti GamerGate segment last night, including an interview with one of their main targets. He's a hero to most of those guys so this was a big blow, but they've reacted with some predictable denial.

Have you guys ever noticed that there's a segment of people who watch Colbert and don't realize that he's a liberal promoting liberal causes? There aren't that many that don't get the conservatism is schtick, but some like the Gamergaters think he's trying to put forth a balanced, non-biased viewpoint. Uh, no, his criticism is actually much more biting than the Daily Show's, it's just delivered as parody which makes it more effective and less strident.
    Some GamerGate people don't even see themselves as conservative, gross, and misogynist, or at least I've seen people who claim they really just believe in some crusade against corrupt journalism.

BANNED

I do admit that gaming "journalism" is ethically screwed up, even if gamergate transparently doesn't care about that and only focuses on it when it suits their misogyny, ignoring outright bribery when it involves men. Actually, just about an niche press becomes an industry mouthpiece in return for access. I read lots of glowing previews of the iPad Air 2 and lots of glowing review. Not one of them that I saw mentioned the damn things vibrates like a washing machine any time you use the speaker. Pointing out this off-putting flaw would have angered Apple, so they just didn't. Access trumps consumer interests.

Quote Originally Posted by Kid A View Post
    Some GamerGate people don't even see themselves as conservative, gross, and misogynist, or at least I've seen people who claim they really just believe in some crusade against corrupt journalism.
    Most GG people are not conservative, they tend to be liberal. However they are mostly cis white males atheists, the so called 'neckbeard' group. They agree in the basic values of liberalism, but they think in the social realm things have gone to far. Perhaps 'liberal libertarian' or something is the appropriate word.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

BANNED

I think this is the first time in 10 years that I am barely discussing the upcoming US elections on CBR.

Quote Originally Posted by the4thpip View Post
    My mom has had to up her blood pressure medication because she is seriously worried there will be a war with Russia. She lived through the last one as a child.

In related news:

NATO jets intercept Russian warplanes following 'unusual level of air activity'
    Yeah this Russian stuff is where it started, but because of the shooting my other grandmother is suggesting similar fears.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    Most GG people are not conservative, they tend to be liberal. However they are mostly cis white males atheists, the so called 'neckbeard' group. They agree in the basic values of liberalism, but they think in the social realm things have gone to far. Perhaps 'liberal libertarian' or something is the appropriate word.
    I don't think you can call a group this reactionary any kind of liberal. Libertarian, perhaps, in an extremely narrow range that doesn't extend very far past their own noses, but not liberal.
    "It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

"If you can't say anything nice about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"You're much stronger than you think you are." - Superman, on humankind

All-New, All-Different Marvel Checklist

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    Next they're going to recognize Narnia.
    It helps that Palestinians exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Brady View Post
    It helps that Palestinians exist.
    It exists just as much as Narnia does.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Michael P View Post
    I don't think you can call a group this reactionary any kind of liberal. Libertarian, perhaps, in an extremely narrow range that doesn't extend very far past their own noses, but not liberal.
    Libertarian in that whole hates minorities, hates feminists, reads Breitbart kind of way. In other words, right wing except when it limits them personally. That's not being liberal, that's just being a hypocrite.

BANNED

Interesting story:

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/...g-case-n236626

Is this racism? An overreaction? A mixture of both? This small town almost seems like a caricature of racist small towns you find in the south..but this is New Jersey.

This hazing involved "sexual penetration"...? Dare I even ask if that means these kids were..what, raped? Violated? What kind of weird football shenanigans is afoot?
    Last edited by Surtur; 10-30-2014 at 12:23 PM.

Any nation exists as much as Narnia does.
    "It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

"If you can't say anything nice about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"You're much stronger than you think you are." - Superman, on humankind

All-New, All-Different Marvel Checklist

BANNED

You're missing the point. Palestine is an actual place. Narnia is not.

BANNED

Did you just call Palestinian people an "it"?

Are you suggesting that Palestinians don't deserve to have their own state?