Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    The states Trump did better than expected at had Republican Governors (Michigan, Wisconsin) and Democratic Governors (Pennsylvania, Minnesota.)
    Last time I checked, Trump didn't win Minnesota.

He did win Wisconsin, Michigan, North Carolina, and Florida, all of which are swing states with Republican governors, secretaries of state, and state legislatures who pushed for Voter ID, reducing early voting, and closing polling places. That, and some Russian help was enough to swing Wisconsin and Michigan, which were the two deciding states.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Extraordinary Member

More of an interpretation.

The overwhelming majority of Trump voters weren't Obama voters, though the election was close enough that the small percentage that switched from Obama to Trump made a big difference.
    That's exactly my point though. Yeah not all Trump voters were Obama voters. But in the places that mattered where Hillary lost by slim margins, that's where you saw the Obama voters switch to Trump. That did make difference, and those are the same voters that are being disparaged for being middle class white's afraid of change.

Astonishing Member Old Man Ollie 1962's Avatar

Irma now reduced to category 2.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheInvisibleMan View Post
    my granddaddy was a coal miner
    my daddy was a coal miner

they both died at 48

but damned if Im gonna do anything else
    It's different when your family lived in a small rural town in the middle of nowhere for many generations and the coal mine was the only thing that's keeping the town running and you are not financially well off enough to pick up and move your family somewhere else and either pay for education on another job or take a paycut in a more expensive area so that you keep working.

Then when someone says "oh that thing your friends and family going years and years back have relied on is going to be gutted, but don't worry we'll find something else for you and train you in that instead", that's alot scarier to here and there are no guarantees they will actually find that new job and train you in it.

BANNED

Do you think the cops should release more information on the minor suspects?
    when they are indicted

absolutely

BANNED

if Trayvon Martin and Mike Brown can be dragged through the mud, so can these a-holes

this is 2 states away from me, my dad lives in rural NH

Extraordinary Member

Yeah once there's an indictment and trial, they can release whatever they want. Part of the situation with Martin and Brown was there was a murder trial in one case and a grand jury trial in the other and the character of the victims came into play for the contents of the trial.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    It's different when your family lived in a small rural town in the middle of nowhere for many generations and the coal mine was the only thing that's keeping the town running and you are not financially well off enough to pick up and move your family somewhere else and either pay for education on another job or take a paycut in a more expensive area so that you keep working.

Then when someone says "oh that thing your friends and family going years and years back have relied on is going to be gutted, but don't worry we'll find something else for you and train you in that instead", that's alot scarier to here and there are no guarantees they will actually find that new job and train you in it.
    Truth is hard sometimes

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    Last time I checked, Trump didn't win Minnesota.

He did win Wisconsin, Michigan, North Carolina, and Florida, all of which are swing states with Republican governors, secretaries of state, and state legislatures who pushed for Voter ID, reducing early voting, and closing polling places. That, and some Russian help was enough to swing Wisconsin and Michigan, which were the two deciding states.
    I didn't say Trump won Minnesota, just that he did better than expected. I don't think many expected him to be within two points in that state.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

So much for the party of personal responsibility. These are the same people who tell a single mom working 3 jobs to make ends meet, "suck it up, life's not fair, pull yourself up by the bootstraps."

But these guys working in a long dying and dead industry who refuse to be handed new jobs and training get bailed out?

The states Trump did better than expected at had Republican Governors (Michigan, Wisconsin) and Democratic Governors (Pennsylvania, Minnesota.)
    That state in bold is the one I just do not get. In the three statewide elections held before 2016(Walker's Election/Recall/Election To A Second Term), the statewide voting maps look nearly identical.

No matter what the reason for that is, how do you just decide you have that state in your pocket?

I can't imagine that telling them that fairy magic is going to solve everything isn't more destructive than telling them the truth.

I live in the dried up remains of a factory town, there's nothing but cows here now. The factory in the next town over is shutting down, NOBODY is coming to help them, and that town will dry up over the next decade or two. I get it, I get it better than anyone. It SUCKS! Life sucks, and nothing ever gets better. But lying to people, desperate people who just want to secure their livelihood, makes politicians like Trump the lowest of the low.

Clinton might not have had the plan you wanted, but she had a plan. She was trying to help. She wasn't blowing smoke just to steal votes. But in the end, no matter what they might say, people don't want a person that tells it like it is they want one that tells it like they wish it were. Fairy magic is an easy sell.

'Sup Choom? Handsome men don't lose fights's Avatar

White teenagers lynch biracial eight-year old.

The article starts off with "Welcome to Donald Trump's America," and I can't help but agree. Dropping the ball on Charlottesville, and giving tacit approval to racial separatists and supremacists leads to **** like this. Kids are listening, and they are absorbing the worst ideas.
    "A happy ending? So unlikely. We're not having a moment here.

Wrong city, wrong people, all huddling in fear.

No one escapes the slaughterhouse, and that's just where you're at.

(You could've asked Rebecca but then Adam stomped her flat.)

You think you're special cuz you're scrappy? You're deluded, time to go.

Lucy's living on the moon but you're another dead psycho."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JCAll View Post
    I can't imagine that telling them that fairy magic is going to solve everything isn't more destructive than telling them the truth.

I live in the dried up remains of a factory town, there's nothing but cows here now. The factory in the next town over is shutting down, NOBODY is coming to help them, and that town will dry up over the next decade or two. I get it, I get it better than anyone. It SUCKS! Life sucks, and nothing ever gets better. But lying to people, desperate people who just want to secure their livelihood, makes politicians like Trump the lowest of the low.

Clinton might not have had the plan you wanted, but she had a plan. She was trying to help. She wasn't blowing smoke just to steal votes. But in the end, no matter what they might say, people don't want a person that tells it like it is they want one that tells it like they wish it were. Fairy magic is an easy sell.
    this person gets it

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by kmeyers View Post
    So much for the party of personal responsibility. These are the same people who tell a single mom working 3 jobs to make ends meet, "suck it up, life's not fair, pull yourself up by the bootstraps."

But these guys working in a long dying and dead industry who refuse to be handed new jobs and training get bailed out?
    The the problem is there is no gaurantee of them being "handed new jobs". It was Clinton saying "oh sucks for you, but we'll find something new for you, in the meanwhile we care more about these other policies, so help us with those first". Trump was just playing savior, which is better than nothing.