Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    This is why I have to laugh at some of the posters on the comics board that thinks Marvel suddenly became "liberal"
    Exactly. Comics have always dealt with social issues and it's not like they were subtle about it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Exactly. Comics have always dealt with social issues and it's not like they were subtle about it.
    still dig that cover with Speedy with a needle in his arm

BANNED

administration is doing a bang up job

https://twitter.com/sujeilugo/status/929115537497640961

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    If you read Maus, you'll see that a lot of the Catholic Polish citizens originally were more than willing to help with the Holocaust.
    And yet, a huge number of Polish citizens were executed by the Nazis for hiding Jews, and more gentiles are recognised as Righteous Among the Nations from Poland than from any other country. Although obviously there was anti-semitism in Poland before and after the war, and obviously there were collaborators, the record of Polish non-Jewish citizens in relation to their Jewish neighbours was no worse than that of other occupied countries, and many chose to put their lives and the lives of their families at risks.

The roots of far right extremist movements in Eastern Europe need to be sought not only in the events of 70 years ago, or historical intolerance, but also of the many years of Soviet control, and the post-Soviet years.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Read the full, unclassified intelligence report on Russian hacking here

Highly recommended for any deniers and Putin lovers.
    I doubt the deniers and Putin lovers will be swayed after all this time. They'll just dismiss the report as partisan nonsense and a ploy by the Democrats to sabotage Trump's presidency.

Quote Originally Posted by TheInvisibleMan View Post
    administration is doing a bang up job

https://twitter.com/sujeilugo/status/929115537497640961
    Wow! Talk about healthy and nutritious as all get out. Did the administration hire old FEMA boss Michael "Brownie" Brown under the table and didn't tell anyone?
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

GOP governor calls for Moore to step aside: 'Americans are better than this'

Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan on Saturday joined the growing chorus of Republican officials condemning GOP Senate candidate Roy Moore over allegations of sexual misconduct decades ago, saying that the Alabama conservative is "unfit for office."

"Roy Moore’s defenders should ask themselves if they would be so quick to excuse him if the victim was their daughter or if the offender was a Democrat," Hogan tweeted. "He is unfit for office and should step aside. Americans are better than this."
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Trump Is Rapidly Reshaping the Judiciary. Here’s How.

I should be worried, but I still believe that what has been done can be undone, a tenet of American Politics. If and when we can get Trump out of office and put someone sane in there.

spoilers:
    And I also found out that Ctrl W closes a tab in Firefox....oops
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Tami; 11-12-2017 at 08:28 AM.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by TheInvisibleMan View Post
    then maybe Moore shouldn't have been committing sexual assault and/or statutory rape
    He has yet to be accused of the latter.

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    Because it is pretty obviously not something that has democracy's best interests at heart?
    Voters for Doug Jones would still be able to vote for Doug Jones. This could only be done in a scenario in which Moore steps aside, which would prevent the people who voted for him prior to the Washington Post story from being able to vote for him anyway. Other proposed solutions (such as the Senate refusing to seat him if he wins the election) would have the same effect.

Quote Originally Posted by mojotastic View Post
    It seems, trading a bad ideology for another.
    Keep in mind the Nazis fought Stalin in World War Two. There is an element of "the enemy of my enemy" in these things.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Poland, of course, was attacked by both Nazi Germany and the Soviet Union at the outbreak of WWII as a consequence of the Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact.

Quote Originally Posted by Coin Biter View Post
    Poland, of course, was attacked by both Nazi Germany and the Soviet Union at the outbreak of WWII as a consequence of the Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact.
    That was the case with many countries. There's a similar situation in Estonia, where my family's from.

As Poland was part of the Soviet bloc rule from 1944-1989, that will have more effect on the national psyche than World War 2 invasions.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by mojotastic View Post
    It seems, trading a bad ideology for another.
    Probably, although I think of it as being forced into the 'Hump or Death' choice from History of the World, Part I. Additionally, the jackboot in living memory of most of the population will almost always seem worse than the jackboot remembered only by a few - especially when you are comparing 5 years to 50.

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

Moore now 4 points behind Jones in latest poll:
    http://winwithjmc.com/wp-content/upl...ion-Poll-2.pdf

But I am wondering how much social desirability is magnified when people have to admit to a pollster that they intend to vote for a pedophile.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    That was the case with many countries. There's a similar situation in Estonia, where my family's from.

As Poland was part of the Soviet bloc rule from 1944-1989, that will have more effect on the national psyche than World War 2 invasions.
    I agree with the last part of course. WWII was as you say over 70 years ago, although the number of Polish citizens who were killed was so vast as a proportion of the population that the trauma is bound to linger in the collective memory.

One of the repulsive ironies of the Second World War and its aftermath was the attempted attribution of Soviet atrocities to Nazi Germany. The most famous example as I’m sure you’re aware is the Katyn Wood massacre of Polish officers, intelligentsia, and police officers by the NKVD in 1940, which they blamed on the Nazis (and even included as a charge at the Nuremberg trial). This was even included at the urging of the Soviets at the Nuremberg trials, and not admitted to for about 50 years.

But I am wondering how much social desirability is magnified when people have to admit to a pollster that they intend to vote for a pedophile.

Of course the majority in Alabama will vote for a man who believes the Bible supersedes the Constitution.

You know, the same people who also believe nothing supersedes the 2nd Amendment.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Technically, Moore isn't a pedophile.

There are two issues with that terminology in this case. Pedophilia refers to a sexual attraction towards pre-pubescent children, and that isn't what Moore's accused of.

In addition, there's also the point made by Brian D. Earp of Yale's Program in Ethics and Health Policy that we should encourage pedophiles who do not act on their instincts to seek help and counseling, and that referring to Moore as a pedophile equates them with people who do actually commit sexual assault on minors. Both are wrong, but one is more so.

Accused "Child molester" and "kiddie fiddler" remain accurate terms for Moore.

Quote Originally Posted by Coin Biter View Post
    I agree with the last part of course. WWII was as you say over 70 years ago, although the number of Polish citizens who were killed was so vast as a proportion of the population that the trauma is bound to linger in the collective memory.

One of the repulsive ironies of the Second World War and its aftermath was the attempted attribution of Soviet atrocities to Nazi Germany. The most famous example as I’m sure you’re aware is the Katyn Wood massacre of Polish officers, intelligentsia, and police officers by the NKVD in 1940, which they blamed on the Nazis (and even included as a charge at the Nuremberg trial). This was even included at the urging of the Soviets at the Nuremberg trials, and not admitted to for about 50 years.
    History can be nasty sometimes.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets