BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kal-El Summers View Post
    People aren't happy with her because of stuff she said during the election last year.
    Those people are morons. I support Susan Sarandon and many of her views. I really despise people who are so called "Liberals" Like the Joy Reids, and Neera Tandens, and their followers attacking Susan for whatevs."

Just for Shits and Giggles. Charles Barkley gets why Blacks voted this time...

He also proves most pundits suck at their jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Allen View Post
    If Paddock wasn't diagnosed with a mental illness, it's not logical to suggest mental illness is the reason for his actions. Particularly when you've just been shown that people diagnosed with mental illness are many more times likely to be the victims of violence than the perpetrator, doubling down on the idea that his mass murder has to be attributed to mental illness is not at all logical ... it's just extreme bias, reflecting the stigma against mental illness that pervades every aspect of our culture.

"Any number of stimuli" can be the reason for violence from any person. I would guess what you're getting at is at base the idea that there are sometimes good or justified or at least understandable reasons for violence -- then, other reasons that are less understandable or justified. Well, most of society agrees with that perspective. There just tends to be quite a lot of disagreement on exactly what reasons are really justified.

I don't know what problems the Vegas shooter thought he could solve by shooting at a crowd, or how he thought that could possibly solve them at all ... but, it's not mental illness that gave him that idea. It's our culture that lionizes the idea of the righteous cowboy with a gun in the Wild West, our action heroes in modern movies, and our "heroic" police officers and soldiers, protecting everything right and good by shooting any and all threats. If you want to blame something, blame that.
    I don't agree with exchanging one stigma for another-- in this case, going from an imputation of mental illness to an imputation of "the righteous cowboy"-- but if that's what floats your boat, enjoy.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tazirai View Post
    I support Susan Sarandon and many of her views.
    While I disagree with her on so much, I thought she was one of the bravest liberals in the whole election cycle. It was hard not to admire her. She "got it" about the Clintons.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    Again with the false equivalency. We weren't talking about celebrities. We were talking about political figures.

Name 'em and cite reference, because your track record for honesty in this thread doesn't mean we're taking your accusations at face value.
    There was no restriction re: "political figures" established in the post that originally attacked Shapiro. It's rather "dishonest" of you to make that assertion.

For that matter, Shapiro is far more of a celebrity than he is a political figure. especially compared to Jackson, who has at least been a candidate for political office. A political commentator carries about as much clout as any number of other performers.

Here's an essay on one of the BLM guys. The guy claims he's capable of directing the accusation of "genocide" at the state of Israel without a racist bias. You may agree, but I find his logic facile and politically manipulative.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Thanks! I just would like to check.
    No one impersonated me either. That's good to know.

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

Marco Rubio is a NO on the Republican tax bill unless it includes a larger expansion of a child tax credit, a Senate GOP source tells WaPo.

Quote Originally Posted by 4saken1 View Post
    I admit to have seen the same stories. Could it be because that's how it gets spun EVERY TIME? Anything to avoid talking about gun control! OMG!!!! Look how CRAZY that person is! We need to figure out how to keep CRAZY people from getting guns!!!! It's NEVER just some angry ******* who shoots up a bunch of people because he has the GOD GIVEN RIGHT to own as many automatic weapons as HE pleases.
    I'm in favor of greater gun control and have never said anything here to the contrary.

But I still think someone who turns his anger on people he doesn't even know is nuts. By comparison, even guys who "go postal" on people that they work with may be seeking revenge for specific grievances. It's not much more sane, but the goal is comprehensible in comparison.

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mojotastic View Post
    What do you mean?
    Her provider throttled her social media access after net neutrality died, and her tweet didn't go through.

Duh.

BANNED

California suing DeVos over debt relief for defrauded students

“After having their American Dreams stolen by a so-called higher education institution, Corinthian students are now being denied critical relief by a Secretary of Education hostile to their plight. It is hard to believe that we are forced to sue the Department of Education to compel Secretary DeVos to carry out the Department's legal duty and help these students rebuild their lives,” he said.

The complaint said the department found that in 2015 some 80,000 student borrowers nationwide — including more than 38,000 in California — were fraudulently induced to enroll in educational programs offered by Corinthian, a now-defunct operator of predatory for-profit schools.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    Marco Rubio is a NO on the Republican tax bill unless it includes a larger expansion of a child tax credit, a Senate GOP source tells WaPo.
    Admirable objection and concern by him. Many want more there. So I think a reasonable accommodation will show up at some point (probably tomorrow I think I read).
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

If Doug Jones is seated, they don't have the votes.

With Luther Strange seated, they cannot afford a single defection more.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

If Doug Jones is seated, they don't have the votes.

With Luther Strange seated, they cannot afford a single defection more.
    Just read that Sen. Mike Lee is going with Marco Rubio.

They do not have the votes unless they amend the bill to appease those two. And whether or not doing so makes another two balk...

Holiday break is coming up. They might not get this done by the end of the year. Or at all.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Just read that Sen. Mike Lee is going with Marco Rubio.

They do not have the votes unless they amend the bill to appease those two. And whether or not doing so makes another two balk...

Holiday break is coming up. They might not get this done by the end of the year. Or at all.
    I don't know why they are rushing...Like I know why,but...For sake of argument let's say these cuts would benefit the public in the long run. (Or at least that they actually think they would vs trying to satisfy donors and giving the democrats the middle finger. )Would it not make more sense to take their time and get the details worked out? If Trump weren't rushing them they could get it done at the start of the year and have enough time to work out the kinks so all Republicans are on board.

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

And yet Rubio happily voted for it in the first place. Idiot.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mecegirl View Post
    I don't know why they are rushing...Like I know why,but...For sake of argument let's say these cuts would benefit the public in the long run. (Or at least that they actually think they would vs trying to satisfy donors and giving the democrats the middle finger. )Would it not make more sense to take their time and get the details worked out? If Trump weren't rushing them they could get it done at the start of the year and have enough time to work out the kinks so all Republicans are on board.
    Two uneducated guesses as to why the rush:

1) The GOP wants to give Trump his big legislative win before the year ends
    2) Republicans are hot to get their tax fraud bill passed before Doug Jones, a certain no vote is seated in January
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!