DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    Heck, I want to see a Black Mariah series. Alfre Woodard could pack more drama into 30 seconds of facial expressions with no lines than those of most of the other characters combined.
    She has such a great face, especially her eyes. I believe the late Nelson Mandela was right about her.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    On overall politics, the claim that it's all lip service unless someone joins another political party seems to be equivalent to thinking that if someone isn't in favor of the death penalty, they don't really care about the effects of crime, or that unless someone's a Republican, they believe that every single regulation is good and necessary. We can differ on the solutions, or on the overall big picture.
    I've heard you say this before and I simply don't buy it -- I explained to you that my mother occasionally voted Republican and I considered doing the same until I saw how the Republican party treats "minorities" as a whole. You can't sit here and claim to support equal rights for all Americans while supporting a party that routinely gerrymanders and tries to obstruct black voters with surgically aimed "purges", fights against LGBT rights at nearly every opportunity, strikes down any legislation aimed at ensuring equal pay for women, and sees fit to nominate a racist, sexist, Islamophobic candidate to the highest office in the nation.

You can deny this all you want to but that doesn't change the truth, and, again, maybe you find this acceptable in your political party, but I don't.

Likewise, your conclusion is incorrect -- the problem isn't that Rey and Diana are featured in movies, it's that "white" women are the only ones who seem to be chosen for these "lead" roles, even when the narrative centers around "people of color" and their struggles in our society (The Help and The Blind Side, for example): the author may be asking you to consider what "might have been" but that is a far cry from blaming "white women" specifically for the problem at hand.

Rey isn't "stopping" non-white women from being featured in a film any more than Tom Cruise is stopping Dwayne Johnson or Will Smith from being featured in movies, so if that's what you're (mainly) drawing from the article, you are missing the point.
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 01-01-2018 at 03:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    Look at the entire picture, kid. Just this once.
    Yeah i am still not convince, because memes can be use ironical ways, lets not kid ourselves.

Quote Originally Posted by mojotastic View Post
    Yeah i am still not convince, because memes can be use ironical ways, lets not kid ourselves.
    So in what 'ironical' ways did the killer use these memes?

Quote Originally Posted by Dalak View Post
    So in what 'ironical' ways did the killer use these memes?
    Basically 4chan culture, where you say the most awful things just to bother others and then you get a laugh out of their reaction.

Basically 4chan culture, where you say the most awful things just to bother others and then you get a laugh out of their reaction.
    Do you know for a fact that this killer did that? Because that's what I'm asking - In what 'ironical' ways did this specific killer use these memes? I've seen too much 'Oh that's just on the internet' BS in response to right-wing killers already in my lifetime so I don't buy the argument anymore, especially with no references to the person in question. I've also asked others what benefit trolling has when brought into real world relations and the manner of thinking that it engenders, seeing as this guy was at-best a Internet Troll from what you are arguing what do you think on the subject? Trump is practically Trolling personified, and I think the vast majority can admit how bad he is for local and global stability.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    Yes. Cartoon Network famously had an issue where some of their shows Green Lantern and Young Justice were very popular with girls and they couldn't make money off toys so they got cancelled.
    They could make money from the, They didn't WANT Girls buying their stuff. I work part time in a Target, and our media section, Harry Potter, Pokemon, Stranger Things, POPS, Marvel legends, etc. They sell like crazy, I see more women there than males. Problem is Dinosaurs think certain toys only sell a certain way, because they don't try.

Just like I watch a show called Zak Storm, they have actions figure for all the main cast, the bad guys, and the no names. The ONE female character, CeCe, doesn't have one. The message boards on their homepage went off the rails. Men and women, asking where is CeCe?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Allen View Post
    https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/agenda

Creating specifically for a white audience does make it an agenda, though. One can be okay with that or not, but ... having an underlying plan is just what "agenda" means. Hate the connotation, not the word, I guess?
    Good post. Simply put there is no such thing as no one NOT having an Agenda, we all have one.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalak View Post
    Do you know for a fact that this killer did that? Because that's what I'm asking - In what 'ironical' ways did this specific killer use these memes? I've seen too much 'Oh that's just on the internet' BS in response to right-wing killers already in my lifetime so I don't buy the argument anymore, especially with no references to the person in question. I've also asked others what benefit trolling has when brought into real world relations and the manner of thinking that it engenders, seeing as this guy was at-best a Internet Troll from what you are arguing what do you think on the subject? Trump is practically Trolling personified, and I think the vast majority can admit how bad he is for local and global stability.
    Oh dont think i am defending the guy or anything, my position come from the idea that some times memes are just that memes and dont represent the idea someone actually believes and just use them for jokes or trolling as you say.

While on your question about what benefits trollings bring? to someone else, nothing, to one self, a sense of gratification because you got attention, because you got a reaction to something that you did.

On Trump, you are right, some boards in 4chan actually supported Trump because he was trolling everyone and that why there were campaigns created in 4chan to misinform people on twitter about the other candidates, even other republicans, that how you get things like this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19Wpp_HQ6Dg

MEANWHILE ON IRAN

https://twitter.com/thatbillokeefe/s...56868469624832

Video of Iranian protesters attacking the headquarters of the Iranian Revolutionary Guard.

Will they be able to create actually change or will people be stomp like in Turkey?

BANNED

Isn't that basically saying "It's not grass, it's just that short green, stalky weed that grows primarily on lawns and has to be mown all the time.

Ultimate Member

Another thing I've always wondered with regards to the "demographics" argument -- why is it the belief that "white is what sells" so common when African-American artists, entertainers, and athletes (Beyonce, Dwayne Johnson, Kobe Bryant, Kevin Hart, Drake, Floyd Mayweather, Will Smith, Bill Cosby, Eddie Murphy, Miles Davis, Richard Pryor, Louis Armstrong, etc) have been top draws in the entertainment industry since before the days of Eminem, Elvis, The Beatles, Al Jolson and Paul Whiteman?

Granted, it's not just black people who have had to deal with this nonsense but I do find it ironic that we are constantly told that "white is what sells" even as black artists and entertainers generate billions of dollars in revenue via an increasingly global audience.
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 01-01-2018 at 05:38 PM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by aja_christopher View Post
    Another thing I've always wondered with regards to the "demographics" argument -- why is it the belief that "white is what sells" so common when African-American artists, entertainers, and athletes (Beyonce, Dwayne Johnson, Kobe Bryant, Kevin Hart, Drake, Floyd Mayweather, Will Smith, Bill Cosby, Eddie Murphy, Miles Davis, Richard Pryor, Louis Armstrong, etc) have been top draws in the entertainment industry since before the days of Eminem, Elvis, The Beatles, Al Jolson and Paul Whiteman?

Granted, it's not just black people who have had to deal with this nonsense but I do find it ironic that we are constantly told that "white is what sells" even as black artists and entertainers generate billions of dollars in revenue via an increasingly global audience.
    I don't really hear that argument outside of comics(and maybe video games)

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Baseman View Post
    I don't really hear that argument outside of comics(and maybe video games)
    I hear it with regards to film quite a bit -- usually for the reasons stated below.

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    But most of that's just an American entertainment company erring on the side of making films that the majority of the population will identify with at a greater rate. Hence why most films have white leads. Because over 60% of the country identifies as non Hispanic whites then you have some Hispanics that identify as white. Then for any other racial/ethnic demographic you are well below 20%.
    Then someone drops a flick like "Get Out" and goes straight to the bank with it.

-----
    "Get Out, the low-budget comedy-horror film that explores racism in America, has enjoyed a whopping 630% return on investment, more than any other movie released in 2017, The Wrap reports.

TheWrap based its estimate on combined production budget and marketing costs. According to Box Office Mojo, Get Out was made with a budget of only $4.5 million, and has grossed a massive $252,434,250 worldwide."

http://time.com/money/4891175/get-ou...le-movie-2017/
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 01-01-2018 at 06:24 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by aja_christopher View Post
    I hear it with regards to film quite a bit -- usually for the reasons stated below.

Then someone drops a flick like "Get Out" and goes straight to the bank with it.

-----
    "Get Out, the low-budget comedy-horror film that explores racism in America, has enjoyed a whopping 630% return on investment, more than any other movie released in 2017, The Wrap reports.

TheWrap based its estimate on combined production budget and marketing costs. According to Box Office Mojo, Get Out was made with a budget of only $4.5 million, and has grossed a massive $252,434,250 worldwide."

http://time.com/money/4891175/get-ou...le-movie-2017/
    Aja, think of this and politics in the same vein.

Imagine these dinosaurs who were basically given a dynasty and tons of money they want to flip into more money. They develop a plan that at one time worked for them. Then things changed. But in their minds the world is still the same as it was years ago, with little change. Boys like Cars and Trucks, Girls like pink prissy things. Then all of a sudden your daughters wearing a super hero cape. Instead of thinking damn My daughter likes Super heroes also, you gently take her cape off and tell her, "Honey, you're not a Superhero, let the boys come rescue you!". She then gives you that look like WTF you talkin about?

Because as her Toy making dad, your mind is stuck in a bubble of Girls do this, and boys do this, because of the era you were born in.
    Then when your kid really delves deep into being a superheroine, society is like NAW. SJW SJW SJW!!!!
    Girls are blah blah blah.
    Then the people who make shows like Young Justice are like, Yeah my daughter likes our show, dresses like a superhero, is always saving her brother, looks at Superheroes on the toy aisle... But I'll just buy her a doll instead.
    Then the other CEO's are like yeah, we don't want girls liking our product that we can parlay into bonus profits. DAMN Feminists and SJW's.

Politicians are the same. They can SEE America moving Left, but get on tv like. "We're still a Center Right nation."
    Movie Producers can see diversity sells and are like... "Yeah only white people dollars matter."

So literally our parents and theirs in those industries need to retire or die off. They have problems thinking in the current.