Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Catherine Deneuve's take on #MeToo.

https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/ha...ed-men-n836361

It's odd, she seems to be conflating courtship with coercion. And while I understand the concern over not wanting to see the whole thing turn into a witch-hunt, the idea that the movement is anti-men is disappointing.
    Not to try and get in her head, or excuse her comments which I found troubling, but Ms. Deneuve is 74, perhaps her mindset was shaped by the fact that women's rights in Hollywood were all but nonexistent in her day, and the infamous "Casting Couch" was just part of the business she chose.
    Last edited by WestPhillyPunisher; 01-10-2018 at 06:45 AM.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

So, CBS This Morning brings on John Dickerson of Face the Nation. Wonder who will replace him?

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...108-story.html

Roman Polanski won't face '75 child molest charge as L.A. prosecutor cites expired statute of limitations

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zinderel View Post
    I think you quoted the wrong person here? I am as anti-Pence as they get, and I am deffo not Mets. Lol
    I quoted you to agree, then turned my head, called out Mets' name (that's there where it says "Mets" in my post) and gave him a stern spanking.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragged Maw View Post
    He used to be a meth chef?
    When he moved out of a Florida house he had rented, the bath tub was destroyed with corrosive chemicals. There's basically only 2 theories out there: 1. he used the tub to cook copious amounts of meth. 2. he dissolved a dead body in it.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Not to try and get in her head, or excuse her comments which I found troubling, but Ms. Deneuve is 74, perhaps her mindset was shaped by the fact that women's rights in Hollywood were all but nonexistent in her day, and the infamous "Casting Couch" was just part of the business she chose.
    It's partly that. Look at the culture reflected in films, songs, and the previously mentioned romance novels. There's the old Christmas time song that is now known as the Date Rape song: Baby, it's Cold Outside where the male singer is enticing the female with more drinks, etc to stay at with him and not go home to her mother, etc.

Many movies had scenes with a woman being forcibly kissed, like Gone withe Wind (of course IMO that movie has lots of other problems for modern audiences). One of my sisters was a fan of romance novels, or as they are sometimes called "bodice rippers". They have the same arc reluctant woman is finally convinced she is really in love with the leading man of the story. Men are frequently portrayed as the aggressor while the woman is resistant, until she isn't.

Someone else mentioned the big "romance" of Luke and Laura on the daytime soap General Hospital. That romance did start with a rape of scene when a drunken Luke attacked Laura. And that wasn't all that long ago.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    It's partly that. Look at the culture reflected in films, songs, and the previously mentioned romance novels. There's the old Christmas time song that is now known as the Date Rape song: Baby, it's Cold Outside where the male singer is enticing the female with more drinks, etc to stay at with him and not go home to her mother, etc.

Many movies had scenes with a woman being forcibly kissed, like Gone withe Wind (of course IMO that movie has lots of other problems for modern audiences). One of my sisters was a fan of romance novels, or as they are sometimes called "bodice rippers". They have the same arc reluctant woman is finally convinced she is really in love with the leading man of the story. Men are frequently portrayed as the aggressor while the woman is resistant, until she isn't.

Someone else mentioned the big "romance" of Luke and Laura on the daytime soap General Hospital. That romance did start with a rape of scene when a drunken Luke attacked Laura. And that wasn't all that long ago.
    the 'Luke and Laura' storyline did start with Luke raping her (this was the late 70s) and I believe the characters were married in 1980 or 1981

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    Pence has political experience... at causing crises, misery, disease and death.

Not all political experience is created equal, Mets. So if this is supposed to be some kind of "gotcha" moment for the bad guys... You're not good at it.
    It's not meant to be a gotcha. It's more about getting you to understand the perspective of some of those who supported Trump in the general election. They too think that not all political experience is equal and will back the candidate of the party that they believe will produce the best outcomes even if that candidate lacks traditional experience.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Issa retiring from Congress: report

http://thehill.com/homenews/house/36...ongress-report

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post

This is unfair. How many Christmas presents is WBE gonna keep getting?!

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    It's not meant to be a gotcha. It's more about getting you to understand the perspective of since of those who supported Trump in the general election.
    In English, comrade?

Aw man, I wanted to see him crushed by an opponent.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    Aw man, I wanted to see him crushed by an opponent.
    There's always Rohrabacher. Looks like Ed Royce is retiring too.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.latim...story,amp.html
    Last edited by Tendrin; 01-10-2018 at 09:23 AM.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    It's not meant to be a gotcha. It's more about getting you to understand the perspective of since of those who supported Trump in the general election. They too think that not all political experience is equal and will back the candidate of the party that they believe will produce the best outcomes even if that candidate lacks traditional experience.
    My problem with this has always been that Trump's supporters obviously bought the make believe Trump of "The Apprentice" and Trump's ludicrous claim of being a "self-made" billionaire. A little research would have laid those myths to rest. Even before the elections, I knew of Trump's shenanigans from reading Vanity Fair for years. He's well known in NYC....and not liked very much at all. He lost the vote in his home state and the city where he lives by pretty wide margins because he was covered a lot in the press there over the years. In fact, Hillary got the most votes in New York City, right where he lives, in the history of presidential elections.

I'm sure I don't need to cite sources any more but Trump has such bad reputation among the major financial institutions here that he has to go to Deutsche bank. I guess if he does have one skill it's that his bankruptcies have left other people holding the bag. His two benefactors, Wilbur Ross & Carl Ichan have helped bail him out also. But the bondholders in Atlantic City lost about a billion on that gamble.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    There's always Rohrabacher. Looks like Ed Royce is retiring too.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.latim...story,amp.html
    Looks like the rats are fleeing the sinking ship that's the USS Republican Party.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!