Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    It's not a question of her being a bad person for attending, it's that a good number of the people there wouldn't approve of her as a trans person. That's what made her presence there eyebrow raising. But again according to Manning she wasn't there to support their agenda.
    For what i have read in twitter nothing bad happened to her, no insults, no treats instead she ended up talking with People of Cernovich group.

BANNED

Shutting down the government over this was an exceedingly stupid fight for the Democrats to pick. They should have shut it down over health care cuts and tax cuts for the wealthy. They've handed Trump a victory.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by mojotastic View Post
    For what i have read in twitter nothing bad happened to her, no insults, no treats instead she ended up talking with People of Cernovich group.
    so just because nothing bad happened to her excuses the groups attitude towards brown and black people

that they basically support segregation and genocide

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    Shutting down the government over this was an exceedingly stupid fight for the Democrats to pick. They should have shut it down over health care cuts and tax cuts for the wealthy. They've handed Trump a victory.
    That option wasn't on the table at the time. The Democrats have been using whatever is at their disposal, but in the end, they are the minority party in both chambers of Congress. There is only so much they can do. The tax bill passed with a simple majority, it didn't need 60 votes. No, they haven't handed Trump anything except reminding the world that he is incompetent and in no way a 'Deal Maker'.

It wasn't stupid, it was tactical. Risky, but it was needed to get DACA on the table and insure that the next time the CR is up for extension, that the Democrats have more leverage.

For anyone who can vote, if you really want to see what smart governing is all about, elect more Democrats into Congress and give them control.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by TheInvisibleMan View Post
    so just because nothing bad happened to her excuses the groups attitude towards brown and black people

that they basically support segregation and genocide
    I am no excusing Cernovich group the only thing i know about that event is thay one of the organizers got drunk in the stage, i am just saying what i read but if you want my opinion/theory i think Either Manning is good at acting and was able to get close or her personality in real life is as joyful as the post she has in twitter and people treater her well because of that.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    That option wasn't on the table at the time. The Democrats have been using whatever is at their disposal, but in the end, they are the minority party in both chambers of Congress. There is only so much they can do. The tax bill passed with a simple majority, it didn't need 60 votes. No, they haven't handed Trump anything except reminding the world that he is incompetent and in no way a 'Deal Maker'.

It wasn't stupid, it was tactical. Risky, but it was needed to get DACA on the table and insure that the next time the CR is up for extension, that the Democrats have more leverage.

For anyone who can vote, if you really want to see what smart governing is all about, elect more Democrats into Congress and give them control.
    When you shut down the government and then have to back down about it, you've lost. Bigly. It's time for the Democrats' geriatric leadership to retire and enjoy what's left of their golden years, since they've become too feeble-minded to read polls.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...HZa?li=BBnb7Kz
    Last edited by Trey Strain; 01-23-2018 at 05:54 AM.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Without trying to poke too much fun, do you guys even read each other's posts?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    You'll have to forgive WPP For missing a post from two days ago.
    My bad. There's so much stuff here that I sometimes forget about other posts. Plus, I'm old and senile.

Hardly a newsflash. The college ranks have been the NFL's feeder system since about forever, ditto for the NBA. The only difference is there's no "one season then hit the pros" rule in the NFL.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

When you shut down the government and then have to back down about it, you've lost. Bigly. It's time for the Democrats' geriatric leadership to retire and enjoy what's left of their golden years.
    I think you're showing you don't understand what actually happened. The Republicans didn't have enough votes to break cloture. They were always going to need Dem votes to get to 60. One of the reasons they allowed SCHIP and DACA to be for this moment was to try to force Democrats into a choice where they can publically give up on DACA by going for CHIP and leave their base enraged or focus on DACA, allowing the Republicans to continue to try to paint them as selling out American service men and children in the name of protecting 'the others'.

They DID have a deal but Trump torpedoed that.

Now, what happened in these negotiations? Not only did it happen over a weekend, so far less impact to people than might otherwise have occurred, but they got the Republicans to fund CHIP and cost them part of their leverage, and had to agree to a DACA vote. Republicans were losing the optics on the shutdown, too, since they control /all three branches of government/, and had previously shut down government over things that didn't have to do with funding health care for millions of childrens, many of whom are already poor immigrants.

The notion that this somehow 'hands Trump a win', when he was sidelined from the final negotiations, is kind of completely off base.

Dems have limited leverage here and we'll have another funding crisis in three weeks. If DACA hasn't been dealt with by then we'll probably have another shut down.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post

Hardly a newsflash. The college ranks have been the NFL's feeder system since about forever, ditto for the NBA. The only difference is there's no "one season then hit the pros" rule in the NFL.
    But you're not supposed to SAY that.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    I think you're showing you don't understand what actually happened. The Republicans didn't have enough votes to break cloture. They were always going to need Dem votes to get to 60. One of the reasons they allowed SCHIP and DACA to be for this moment was to try to force Democrats into a choice where they can publically give up on DACA by going for CHIP and leave their base enraged or focus on DACA, allowing the Republicans to continue to try to paint them as selling out American service men and children in the name of protecting 'the others'.

They DID have a deal but Trump torpedoed that.

Now, what happened in these negotiations? Not only did it happen over a weekend, so far less impact to people than might otherwise have occurred, but they got the Republicans to fund CHIP and cost them part of their leverage, and had to agree to a DACA vote. Republicans were losing the optics on the shutdown, too, since they control /all three branches of government/, and had previously shut down government over things that didn't have to do with funding health care for millions of childrens, many of whom are already poor immigrants.

The notion that this somehow 'hands Trump a win', when he was sidelined from the final negotiations, is kind of completely off base.

Dems have limited leverage here and we'll have another funding crisis in three weeks. If DACA hasn't been dealt with by then we'll probably have another shut down.
    You can spin it any way you want to. But they picked a fight and got beaten up.

Americans did not want the government shut down over this.
    Last edited by Trey Strain; 01-23-2018 at 06:12 AM.

It was a three day shutdown, largely over playoff weekend. No one is going to care about this at all come election season.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

You can spin it any way you want to. But they picked a fight and got beaten up.

Americans did not want the government shut down over this.
    They got beaten up so bad that they got a six year funding on CHIP.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Things Fall Apart View Post
    It was a three day shutdown, largely over playoff weekend. No one is going to care about this at all come election season.
    I agree that people will forget this issue. But it made the Democrats' aging leaders look like dotards, and that will stick to them.

BANNED

I agree that people will forget this issue. But it made the Democrats' aging leaders look like dotards, and that will stick to them.
    If anything this just served as a way for red-state Ds to prove to their constituency that they are willing to play ball with the Rs, and Blue state Dems can shore up their bonafides heading into primary season.

If we shutdown again on the 8th/9th I think it will likely go much longer and be a much better flashpoint for deciding winners and losers.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum