Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    Someone needs to remove that strongman dictator Emmanuel Macron in France and his Putinesque Bastille Day Military Parade. Vive la France!
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bastil...ilitary_parade
    Yeah, it's not like this was right there in black and white in that article or anything...

“The marching orders were: I want a parade like the one in France,” said a military official who spoke on the condition of anonymity because the planning discussions are supposed to remain confidential. “This is being worked at the highest levels of the military.”

BANNED

its unnecessary and ridiculous

do you really think our men and women in uniform want to spend an afternoon inflating the ego of Orange Foolius?

Quote Originally Posted by TheInvisibleMan View Post
    its unnecessary and ridiculous

do you really think our men and women in uniform want to spend an afternoon inflating the ego of Orange Foolius?
    You won't get an argument here. To me, pretty much anything like that for the military or the police is not really called for. Making certain those two groups have a pretty solid benefits package would be a way better bang for the buck.

Someone needs to remove that strongman dictator Emmanuel Macron in France and his Putinesque Bastille Day Military Parade. Vive la France!
    The President of the United States Donald Trump attended the 2017 parade as the foreign guest for that year, marking the centennial since the US entry into the First World War.[16] The parade for that year had an estimated 6,500 personnel marching in the march past proper alone, while United States Armed Forces (United States Army Europe, II Marine Expeditionary Force, Naval Forces Europe, United States Air Forces in Europe - Air Forces Africa) delegations (with a combined total of 2,100 personnel) were expected to take part in the celebrations.
    Okay, I see now. Donald Trump was in last years parade, now he wants one of his own.
    F' him.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    I stand corrected.

https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/statu...04125700599808

It's been improving among Republicans. Not so much with Democrats and Independents.

https://twitter.com/chrislhayes/stat...13643339644928
    I listed articles on the congressional tracking poll. It's related to Trump's poll numbers but distinct, and quite relevant to the party's chances of hanging on to the House.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheInvisibleMan View Post
    ICE arrests Kansas professor who has been in US for 30 years
    "They’re bringing drugs. They’re bringing crime. They’re rapists. And some, I assume, are good people.”

This country is being "presided" over by a racist ******* who refers to Mexican immigrants as being drug dealers and rapists and blatantly lies about Muslim-Americans celebrating terrorist attacks (to rising Republican approval ratings), while simultaneously arguing that he has a great relationship with "the blacks" as if we are some kind of foreign entity rather than just fellow human beings, after discriminating against black tenants for years and publicly condemning five black and brown teens to death, despite their innocence.

When people argue that we should be "tolerant" of a man who would just as easily deport us or put us to death as he would look at us, it's obvious they don't realize just what message "white America" has sent by electing this man to the highest office in this country.

-----
    "Jamal, 55, is a chemistry instructor who entered the U.S. lawfully on an international student visa in the 1980s, according to a lawyer for the family, Jeffrey Y. Bennett. He has three children — ages 7, 12, and 14 — all of whom are U.S. citizens, and he has no record, other than a couple of speeding tickets that have long been resolved, Bennett said.

The arrest is "very traumatizing for the whole family," Bennett said.

Jamal has a "long history" of trying to get a path to U.S. citizenship, Bennett added. Throughout the years, he had a handful of student visas while pursuing graduate degrees in science and engineering, and then a H-1B visa for highly skilled workers; at the time of his detainment, he had overstayed a voluntary departure notice, but had been granted permission to stay in the U.S. under supervision.

The family was aware that there was a slight risk that Jamal, who had been given prosecutorial discretion to indefinitely stay in the U.S. under a policy formalized by President Barack Obama, could face deportation. But they never expected it would actually happen; his brother and attorney said Jamal is a beloved community member who was involved in his children's school board and was a respected professor."

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...been-u-n844746
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 02-06-2018 at 08:07 PM.

This response is just so pathetic. Is that the best your friends on Fox could come up with.

As your dear leader would say. Sad.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    This response is just so pathetic. Is that the best your friends on Fox could come up with.

As your dear leader would say. Sad.
    Again, the source in the article lays out in incredibly clear fashion that this is the "Why"...

“The marching orders were: I want a parade like the one in France,” said a military official who spoke on the condition of anonymity because the planning discussions are supposed to remain confidential. “This is being worked at the highest levels of the military.”

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Again, the source in the article lays out in incredibly clear fashion that this is the "Why"...
    Yes a parade that started in 1880. But when it is pointed out Trump is acting like a despot to make the military have a big parade like that in front of him, JBF thinks that makes Macron the same. Pathetic.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Apparently, another special election just got won by the Dems. This time in Missouri.

https://twitter.com/mattmfm/status/961071770152382464

Ultimate Member

Speak of the devil...

"Trump is so not racist that he's never even heard of the KKK. How can he denounce the Klan if he's never heard of them? Let him look into this group a little more. He's heard bad things but would like to form his own opinions."

So apparently taking photos with famous black people means that you aren't racist -- good thing Trump Jr. understands what "real racism" is, being rich and white and having so much direct experience dealing with it personally.

https://twitter.com/leahmcelrath/sta...81064067358720

The census projects by 2044 whites will no longer be the majority -- but Trump's immigration plan would reportedly delay that for an extra 5 years.
    https://www.msnbc.com/all-in/watch/t...-1155275843968

Ultimate Member

I can only speak for myself on the issue, but I don't know that most "minorities" have a problem with the number of white people in this country, at least with respect to those whom I've met throughout my lifetime (and those who do usually just move to areas where their own "race" is the majority) -- in my experience the problem isn't that we have a "white majority" but that racism against non-whites that seems to so be ingrained into our society, via our history of white supremacist attitudes here in America, that it often deters -- or even prevents -- many non-white American citizens from achieving their full potential.

As someone who has lived in "majority white" areas at different points in my lifetime, that's never been a real issue for me: the problem (for me) lies in the fact that there is a world of difference between growing up on a "majority white" military base, or in a more liberal "majority white" suburb, or attending a "majority white" private university, and living in a "majority white" area (say small town Alabama) where racism against non-whites is a lot more widespread, if not openly acceptable.

Personally, I don't necessarily "look forward" to seeing less "white" people in the future, as I've had plenty of good "white" friends (and teachers, co-workers, etc) throughout my lifetime. I just want to see a lot less racism and discrimination aimed at non-whites in this country: I'd be completely fine with with the population percentages remaining exactly the same so long as the longstanding American legacy of white supremacy was ended.

Again, I can only speak for myself, since I'm sure there a lot of non-whites (and "whites") out there who probably feel that less white people will likewise mean much less racism against "minorities" -- and more opportunities for people of color -- here in America.
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 02-06-2018 at 09:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    What might be the faults of the study? How does the article sensationalize it?
    The article is titled: Not Just Boy and Girl, More Teens Identify as Transgender. In my opinion, a declaration like that without any context seems pretty sensational. Furthermore, in the article the journalist undermines the data in the study herself, which makes the title seem a bit disingenuous.

Data gained from self reporting is inherently suspect. Even more so from teenagers who notoriously have issues with sex and identity. The study only chose to report data from ninth and eleventh graders, which makes me wonder why no data from tenth and twelfth graders? I'm suspecting cherry picking of data to support a preconceived idea. There wasn't a mention of the study being peer reviewed either.
    That's really enough for me to discount this as BS.
    Last edited by Jack Dracula; 02-06-2018 at 09:47 PM.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Quote Originally Posted by ChadH View Post
    The article is titled: Not Just Boy and Girl, More Teens Identify as Transgender. In my opinion, a declaration like that without any context seems pretty sensational. Furthermore, in the article the journalist undermines the data in the study herself, which makes the title seem a bit disingenuous.

Data gained from self reporting is inherently suspect. Even more so from teenagers who notoriously have issues with sex and identity. The study only chose to report data from ninth and eleventh graders, which makes me wonder why no data from tenth and twelfth graders? I'm suspecting cherry picking of data to support a preconceived idea. There wasn't a mention of the study being peer reviewed either.
    That's really enough for me to discount this as BS.
    Self reporting from teenagers isn't always going to give anything meaningful, especially if the internet is involved. This is the place that can't get past naming stuff Thingy McThingface - I expect little from it.