Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    That is some major false equivalency BS you threw there. Comparing a minor campaign adjunct who was dismissed to the candidate.

Things we know did not go Hillary's way. The email non-story that was relentlessly covered. The Benghazi non-story that was relentlessly covered. Russian hacking and interference. Comey's BS prress statement days before the election. Voter suppression in key States. Big stuff going her way indeed.
    You don't think the faith adviser story would have hurt the Clinton campaign had it come out during the election, or that Trump's campaign would have done better if the "grab them by the pussy" video wasn't released? Or that the Republican nomination could have gone differently if the Access Hollywood tapes had come out before Trump was the official nominee?

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    It isn't so much the number, but that they are all effectively workplace relationships that disturbs me. Which I like to think I would find a little disturbing no matter who (or what gender) this was.
    What's disturbing about dating people with shared interests?
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Mighty Member

Trump is now defending wife beaters.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...48831789797381

Come on Trumpers, double down with your guy. We know you have no shame.
    I'm simply going to say "valid, but in bad faith" in regards to the statement itself, since it's unlikely he would be as skeptical if a Dem was accused for anything similar. Plus he's not exactly chomping at the bit to purge his circle of those for whom the allegations are true.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    My claim wasn't that I'm alienated from white privilege; I was writing about possible views of a group of people I barely interact with (working class white people), and going with a definition of white privilege celebrated by mainstream media outlets to make a point about the perception of the term in popular culture.

If the view is that working class white people have so many advantages in American society, they shouldn't complain, I would disagree as it's a group where the children seem to have less potential than their parents, which is the reverse of how it should be in the US.
    I get that not everything you post reflects your views, but since much of it tends to run along the same lines of "conservative" thought that you often express here on the boards, then I also feel that it's okay to speak in general terms when replying, as it's always not clear where your opinion lies when you are citing outside sources.

And I understand the "view" that you are talking about -- but my reply is that ignorance of the facts doesn't change the facts, especially when said ignorance is often selective.

Even in your statement, you are saying that the general belief is that "white working class people" shouldn't complain, when that's never been the issue at hand: no one reasonably ever argues that white people have no right to complain just because they have white skin. Moreover, the problem with that kind of thinking is that it just further reflects how the individuals in question are more concerned with a perceived injustice (to "white people") than the real injustices that people of color often face in this country just because they are not white.

Trying to make the argument about how "white people" are the ones being attacked when discussing racism in this country is a just a convenient way of avoiding having a real discussion about the subject at hand, whether intentionally or otherwise.
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 02-10-2018 at 12:01 PM.

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    It happens. Some people's social life is their work. Could easily see a White House job becoming life consuming and the people you end up closest too being coworkers.
    It's just like Ally McBeal!
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Trump is now defending wife beaters.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...48831789797381

Come on Trumpers, double down with your guy. We know you have no shame.
    I’m calling bullshit on that tweet. No way in hell an ignoramus like Trump wrote something that introspective.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    I’m calling bullshit on that tweet. No way in hell an ignoramus like Trump wrote something that introspective.
    Are "ghost-tweeters" really a thing?

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ragged Maw View Post
    Are "ghost-tweeters" really a thing?
    Yeah, they are. Trump has said that he dictates some of this Tweets to a staffer like Dan Scavino most recently in an interview with Piers Morgan about a week ago. He just lets them use his phone. I suspect the early morning ones are done by Trump while he's in the can.

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Yeah, they are. Trump has said that he dictates some of this Tweets to a staffer like Dan Scavino most recently in an interview with Piers Morgan about a week ago. He just lets them use his phone. I suspect the early morning ones are done by Trump while he's in the can.
    Eww.

"How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Speaking of tweets...

Republicans want to fix DACA far more than the Democrats do. The Dems had all three branches of government back in 2008-2011, and they decided not to do anything about DACA. They only want to use it as a campaign issue. Vote Republican!
    You wrecked it in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    During the election some people more knowledgeable about Twitter than me figured out that Trump was tweeting from 2 separate phones. Everyone kind of guessed that it was one personal phone, and one for his staff.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    Speaking of tweets...

You wrecked it in the first place.
    Also, DACA didn't exist until 2012...

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ragged Maw View Post
    I'm simply going to say "valid, but in bad faith" in regards to the statement itself, since it's unlikely he would be as skeptical if a Dem was accused for anything similar. Plus he's not exactly chomping at the bit to purge his circle of those for whom the allegations are true.
    How is it valid? The FBI will not clear this guy after a YEAR for security clearance because of these allegations. There was a paper trail, restraining orders granted by judges. Pictures from the first wife with a black eye for god sake.

Then if you just listen to the womens own accounts. I saw the second wife's interview with Anderson I don't see how you listen to those accounts and judge that all of it is lies. All these exes with the same patterns of his anger and violence in private. But, at work hes the model employee.

That is more than he said/she said.

Same with Roy Moore who he took up for. Roy moore is a disgusting person even if you didn't see him with your own eyes trying to feel up teens. Just look at his policies, the way he talks about issues. That's all a sane person needs to know this is not a good person. But, trump and the GOP take up for him over all those accusers.

This is the reason so many women don't come forward and tell their stories. Even after you get the courage to break out of the abuse and seek help or tell your story that powerful people will not believe you.

If Porter's first wife didn't have that picture he would still have the job. And he would still be a wife beater. trump always believes the men, because he is guilty too. He still hasn't taken this opportunity to say one word about the women specifically or even denounce domestic abusers. But hes now made several statements and tweets saying we are being unfair to these assholes and the wife beaters are going to have it tough now.
    Last edited by kidfresh512; 02-10-2018 at 12:50 PM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by aja_christopher View Post
    Classic divide and conquer.

Just like trying to pit African-Americans and Asian-Americans against one another on the issue of Affirmative Action, when white women are it's largest beneficiaries.

If more African-Americans had access to affordable and decent schools and colleges, then they wouldn't even need the low-skill jobs to begin with.
    Furthermore, if employers could not use the threat of calling ICE on people to oblige them to swallow wages/working conditions citizens would not touch, they would hire more of the latter.

Yes, the sweatshops re-staffing within a week of raids back in the 1980s left an impression, and I speak as the son of a Black construction worker.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    If this person were truly confident about his faith, he would assume that Muslims would adopt Christianity faster than new ones arrive so no such anti-1st Amendment measures would be needed.

But he is not, so he cannot.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post

What's disturbing about dating people with shared interests?
    Multiple workplace relationships in a short time has always been disturbing when I encountered it in my workplaces.