11 government employees quit after election of first woman mayor in fundamentalist Mormon city

KSL.com reports that 11 city employees resigned from their positions last week — and one of them cited his religious objections to working for a woman as a primary reason.

Specifically, the employee claimed that his religious beliefs prevented him from “following a woman, and from serving on a board with apostates” as the reason for his resignation.

Mayor Donia Jessop, who made history as the first woman elected as mayor of Hildale last November, was sworn into office last month. She is also the first Hildale mayor who is not a member of the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, which has long been the most dominant force in the city’s politics.

The Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, a fundamentalist Mormon sect, is infamous for its promotion of polygamy and child marriages. The church also forces all female members to wear pioneer-style dresses.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by aja_christopher View Post
    Mets -- this dialogue is exactly what my mother meant by "explaining water to a fish".

It's probably not going to happen at this point, so it's best to just move on.

If you really want to learn more, there are plenty of other resources out there that will give you a much better definition of white privilege than the ones you seem to have, or are claiming that others seem to have -- a simple Wikipedia search was all it took to address the very first point that you brought up.
    If Person A accuses Person B of anything, be it white privilege or whatever, Person A ought to be able to give a lucid account of his reasoning.

If he cannot, then maybe the reasoning is at fault.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by ouroboros View Post
    If Person A accuses Person B of anything, be it white privilege or whatever, Person A ought to be able to give a lucid account of his reasoning.

If he cannot, then maybe the reasoning is at fault.
    The definition is in Wikipedia in very the first sentence -- it's not my "fault" if he or anyone else can't read it (or chooses not to understand or agree with it).

You're also presupposing it's my responsibility to "enlighten" him on the issue when that's not even remotely the case -- I don't need to prove anything here.

Like I said before -- it's that's how he wants to define "white privilege" then so be it.
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 02-11-2018 at 06:07 PM.

Aja you are a teacher right, can i ask you why are you taking the wikipedia definition? shouldnt you post something else explaining the socilogical aspect of white privilege and what not, after all, is easily to change things in wikipedia.

My post is not attacking you or Mets, i am just saying if people are going to use definitions, wikipedia is practical but not always trustworthy.

Paul Nehlen's continued racist and anti-Semitic behavior on twitter has finally resulted in him getting his account suspended.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

While the city moved into the 21st century, those Fundamentalist morons remain stuck in the 18th.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by mojotastic View Post
    Aja you are a teacher right, can i ask you why are you taking the wikipedia definition? shouldnt you post something else explaining the socilogical aspect of white privilege and what not, after all, is easily to change things in wikipedia.

My post is not attacking you or Mets, i am just saying if people are going to use definitions, wikipedia is practical but not always trustworthy.
    I've already done all of that over the past week -- up to and including when I brought this up months ago and gave numerous examples of how this has affected both myself and other black people I know personally.

I also pointed out how such issues cannot be narrowed down primarily to an economic focus given the fact that "successful" black people also face racial discrimination in this country.

Again -- it's not my responsibility to "explain" anything here, especially when I've already gone out of my way in the past to do so.

Repeating the same actions over and over again and expecting different results is the proverbial definition of insanity, especially when the person whom you are explaining things to seems to want to focus more on how the discussion of race -- and racism itself -- affects "white" people than how it affects those who are being discriminated against for not being "white".
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 02-11-2018 at 07:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    While the city moved into the 21st century, those Fundamentalist morons remain stuck in the 18th.
    It is the Warren Jeffs sect. I think even the 18th century is too much for them.

I've already done all of that over the past week -- up to and including when I brought this up months ago and gave numerous examples of how this has affected both myself and many other black people I know personally.

I also pointed out how such issues cannot be narrowed down primarily to an economic focus given the fact that "wealthy" black people also face racial discrimination in this country.

Again -- it's not my responsibility to "explain" anything here, especially when I've already gone out of my way in the past to do so.

Repeating the same actions over and over again and expecting different results is the proverbial definition of insanity.
    I think I read a few years ago a black college professor was arrested for breaking in to his own home (He had forgotten his keys). You'd think the cops could have asked to see his ID and relaxed after seeing the address on the license - or at least merely had him wait to ensure there weren't any restraining orders against him and then helped him enter the house.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    I think I read a few years ago a black college professor was arrested for breaking in to his own home (He had forgotten his keys). You'd think the cops could have asked to see his ID and relaxed after seeing the address on the license - or at least merely had him wait to ensure there weren't any restraining orders against him and then helped him enter the house.
    You might think that if you didn't know how cops treat black people on the regular -- but most black people already know this from experience.

Last edited by aja_christopher; 02-11-2018 at 07:50 PM.

I
    Repeating the same actions over and over again and expecting different results is the proverbial definition of insanity, especially when the person whom you are explaining things to seems to want to focus more on how the discussion of race -- and racism itself -- affects "white" people than how it affects those who are being discriminated against for not being "white".
    Real police and tone police, the twin banes of black discourse? :P

Apparently, we can't talk about the reality of race in America because it upsets white people and then they might vote for the racists they've been voting for all along. :P
    Last edited by Tendrin; 02-11-2018 at 07:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post

Apparently, we can't talk about the reality of race in America because it upsets white people and then they might vote for the racists they've been voting for all along. :P
    Without meaning to make light of the subject, my MST3k wired brain leapt from Real Police, Tone Police, and Black People and somehow found the realm where all are melded:

Tone Loc, and of course he's STILL about to be shot by a white person.

I've already done all of that over the past week -- up to and including when I brought this up months ago and gave numerous examples of how this has affected both myself and other black people I know personally.

I also pointed out how such issues cannot be narrowed down primarily to an economic focus given the fact that "successful" black people also face racial discrimination in this country.

Wanna have a laugh? Forget Wikipedia, check "White Privilege" on the Urban Dictionary.
    That's what you're arguing against.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post

I engaged in "discourse" for years online -- Stormfront, Yahoo, Reddit, CBR, Gamefaqs, wherever -- and we still wound up with Trump.

As one of my "white" friends pointed out -- it's probably better that some white people discuss "white privilege" primarily with other white people: I didn't necessarily agree with him at the time, but nearly a decade later I now understand his point.

I can't take back all the time I wasted trying to reason with racists (and apologists) over the years but I can certainly make sure I don't do the same going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by JCAll View Post
    Wanna have a laugh? Forget Wikipedia, check "White Privilege" on the Urban Dictionary.
    That's what you're arguing against.
    Yeah, that's pretty much how it always goes, which is why it's kind of a waste of time to begin with -- it's the same kind of nonsense as when protesting against police brutality is equated with hating white people and/or our military and the flag.

Anyway, Trump is what they wanted, so now we'll see how that works out.

------
    "White Privilege"

The privilege of allowing tens of millions of non whites into your country and allowing them to whine and complain endlessly about 'White racism"

the privilege of often being targeted by these other groups for rape and other violent crimes.

the privilege of having your own children brainwashed by the schools funded by your tax dollars, and told that your people are evil, and that they should be ashamed of themselves and their ancestors.

the privilege of being systematically pushed down by marxist affirmative action laws, in a supposed attempt to "level the playing field

the privilege of becoming a dwindling minority in the nations founded and bult by your ancestors.

It is the privilege of being told that you must remain silent and accept your own genocide, because to do otherwise would mean you are a racist, and society has told us a racist is the worst kind of person, worse than even a rapist or thief

The misconception that somehow whites have more benefits than other other races, which is used to guilt whites into feeling shame for things they are powerless to control.

Essentially it's the claim that being White affords one access to universal, institutional or systemic advantages, used by anti-Whites (who use the code-word "anti-racist" to disguise their intentions) to justify overt racial discrimination against Whites, in the hopes of equalizing social and economic outcomes between races, whose disparities are better explained by hereditary differences in intelligence and temperament.

A term used as a blanket condemnation of any success a white person may have. Regardless of any advantages a minority member might recieve such as free tuition, easy loans or tax breaks (read native Americans), white privilege is assumed whenever a white person succeeds.

Joe: Wtf? There was only 2 White on Black rapes this year compared to over 30,000 Black on White rapes and yet the Duke Lacrosse "rape" hoax was spotlighted??

Kevin: Yep. Call it white privilege!

#racism#reverse discrimination#white genocide#double standard#brainwashing"

https://www.urbandictionary.com/defi...te%20privilege
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 02-11-2018 at 08:29 PM.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    I'm pretty sure that was Henry Gates. He has a genealogy show on PBS and done a number of documentaries on black history. This lead to the "beer summit" at Obama's White House between gates and the officer.