Quote Originally Posted by master of read View Post
    my gay girlfriend who lives in greece asked me to move in with her because everytime she looks at the news, another mass shooting happens here and she's scared i'm gonna get shot by some nutter with a big gun.

i didn't know what to tell her.

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    "If only there were some way to prevent this!" says only nation where this regularly happens.
    https://twitter.com/jasonroeder/stat...76307879985152

When I wrote this headline, I had no idea it would be applied to the high school a mile from my house.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    http://digital.vpr.net/post/sanders-...ocess#stream/0

So Bernie Sanders has a challenger for his Senate seat.
    'Organic vegetable farmer'...yeah, there's enough fraud in the Senate already, thanks.

Best response?
    If it keeps happening, I guess it'll be at the high school near everyone's house. Kinda makes ya think, don't it?

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    It's not the most reassuring thing you could say, but other things are much more likely to kill you.

There were 17,250 homicides in 2016, but that's a fraction of the fatalities of other major causes...

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/282929.php

35 times more people die of heart disease.
    34 times more people die of cancer.
    8 times more people die of accidents.
    7 times more people die of strokes.
    Hell, more than twice as many people die of suicide (the tenth leading cause of death in the US.)

The people providing the money can have some say in how it's spent.
    nice stats. still doesn't change the fact that everytime she looks up, someone ******* decided to kill a bunch of people because he's in a bad mood and she's worried i'm gonna end up on a slob going to the store.

Simple solution: only women are allowed to own guns.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

More on the Broward County school shooting tragedy:

Trump’s Budget Cuts Millions Of Dollars From Gun Background Check System

This would “significantly undermine” efforts to keep firearms out of dangerous hands, gun control advocates say.

We’re Averaging One School Shooting Every 60 Hours In 2018

Wednesday’s shooting at a Florida high school is the 18th school shooting of the year.

Sen. Chris Murphy: Mass Shootings Are Congress’ Fault

“We are responsible for a level of mass atrocity that happens in this country with zero parallel anywhere else.”

Ex-GOP Lawmaker: It’s Time To Vote Republicans Out So We Can Get Gun Control

“Republicans are not going to do a single thing after this shooting we saw today.”

Florida Republicans’ Offers Of Prayers Invite Accusations Of Hypocrisy

Sen. Marco Rubio and Gov. Rick Scott have long fought against gun control legislation.

Kimmel Writer Calls Out GOP In Blistering Replies To ‘Prayers’ After Florida Shooting

Bess Kalb has names and dollar amounts for NRA-linked lawmakers.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by master of read View Post
    nice stats. still doesn't change the fact that everytime she looks up, someone ******* decided to kill a bunch of people because he's in a bad mood and she's worried i'm gonna end up on a slob going to the store.
    In 2016, around twenty-eight people died every single day in alcohol related car crashes. That is half of the people who were killed in the Las Vegas shooting happening each and every day.

Most of the people who took lives in those crashes probably weren't even in a bad mood.

Evidently, that isn't really newsworthy.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    In 2016, around twenty-eight people died every single day in alcohol related car crashes. That is half of the people who were killed in the Las Vegas shooting happening each and every day.

Most of the people who took lives in those crashes probably weren't even in a bad mood.

Evidently, that isn't really newsworthy.
    But there are laws on the books meant to curb DWIs. There wasn't a "Coors Lite lobby" around to block sensible regulations on this. On top of the horror or these incidents, part of the frustration is that we think nothing will come of these tragedies because politicians will move on like there isn't a problem.

BANNED

the NRA spent about 30 million buying inaction last election cycle

the GOPs unwillingness to even have a discussion about gun legislation will be their undoing come November

Dems will take back both the House and the Senate and pass sweeping reform with ZERO compromise

Quote Originally Posted by RumpusMagoo View Post
    But there are laws on the books meant to curb DWIs. There wasn't a "Coors Lite lobby" around to block sensible regulations on this. On top of the horror or these incidents, part of the frustration is that we think nothing will come of these tragedies because politicians will move on like there isn't a problem.
    Which is exactly what is happening when it comes to what I mentioned.

BANNED

when a teenager can buy a gun in Wisconsin but can't buy cigarettes thats a problem

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    In 2016, around twenty-eight people died every single day in alcohol related car crashes.
    And if things like cars and booze were not rather strictly regulated, then maybe you would have a glimmer of a point.

Quote Originally Posted by TheInvisibleMan View Post
    when a teenager can buy a gun in Wisconsin but can't buy cigarettes thats a problem
    That teenager does not have a Constitutional Right to have a pack of cigarettes.

Right or wrong, that's the deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    And if things like cars and booze were not rather strictly regulated, then maybe you would have a glimmer of a point.
    Sure.

Just say, "No point there." while ignoring that what takes two days to take the lives that were taken in Las Vegas because it doesn't really make the news.

Never mind that "Strictly Regulated" points to a lack of knowledge when it comes to US DUI/DWI law.