Quote Originally Posted by Darkspellmaster View Post
    Friendly reminder to Knight of the Lake, we tried banning alcohol. It was called Prohibition. It lead to the rise of speak easys, and the mob. It didn't work.

Gray Lensman, great points. May I throw in there increase the price of bullets and you can't buy more than ten at a time. Also ATF has to have some form of serialization on the bullet to link it back to the person who bought it.
    That was how a ban of something you do not have a Constitutional Right to went.

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    78% of the country does not own a gun.

Of the remaining 22%....

19% own 50% of the guns
    3% own the other 50% of the gun.

Australia had a massive gun culture before they cracked down as well. Sorry that argument doesn't fly.
    Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    That is not the one difference.

We have a Constitutional Right to a gun. That does not exist in the countries that banned them.
    still doesn't change the fact that america loves guns.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspellmaster View Post
    Friendly reminder to Knight of the Lake, we tried banning alcohol. It was called Prohibition. It lead to the rise of speak easys, and the mob. It didn't work.

Gray Lensman, great points. May I throw in there increase the price of bullets and you can't buy more than ten at a time. Also ATF has to have some form of serialization on the bullet to link it back to the person who bought it.
    Most people in the country drink. Most people in the world drink or have drunk. It's a universal thing that's existed for most of modern civillization

With the most lax gun laws in the world 78% of the country doesn't own guns. That's a number that's going down. Those people are not going to run out to get guns if it was banned.

Not to mention it's much easier to secure alchohol, drink it, and not get caught.

Not nearly the same comparison

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by master of read View Post
    still doesn't change the fact that america loves guns.
    Again I'm calling BS on that. A minority of people in the country love guns. Nearly 4/5ths of the country don't even own one. Most gun owner Americans and most gun owners support higher gun control regulartions. It's an excuse. An excuse that caters to a very small minority of crazy people and a lobbyist groups that enable them. That's not a good enough reason to propose meaningless legislation that still results in our kids getting killed

Again I'm calling BS on that. A minority of people in the country love guns. Nearly 4/5ths of the country don't even own one. Most gun owner Americans and most gun owners support higher gun control regulartions. It's an excuse. An excuse that caters to a very small minority of crazy people and a lobbyist groups that enable them. That's not a good enough reason to propose meaningless legislation that still results in our kids getting killed
    that may be true but we still love guns.

Extraordinary Member

that may be true but we still love guns.
    Prove it.

If we love them so much why does only 3% of the country own half the guns. Why does the public overwhelmingly support gun control. I'm going to need some real data.

Prove it.

If we love them so much why does only 3% of the country own half the guns. Why does the public overwhelmingly support gun control. I'm going to need some real data.
    call me when the NRA disbands and politicans stop talking money from them.

then we will talk.

but i've said what i wanted to say. believe me or not. i don't give two shits.

Extraordinary Member

call me when the NRA disbands and politicans stop talking money from them.

then we will talk.

but i've said what i wanted to say. believe me or not. i don't give two shits.
    The NRA isn't the United States. It is not indicative of the United States. Actually the majority of NRA members want gun control, which goes against NRA policy. I'm sorry it just feels like you are saying a catchphrase for why we can't have real legislation.

There's only one real reason why it won't work. Because we don't have campaign finance and the NRA has bought our politicians. Nothing to do with the culture. It's greed.

There is a constitutional right for well regulated arms.
    There is no right to own whatever you want with no strings.
    Every right in the Constitution has qualifications.
    There is no reason the type of gun and the circumstances can't be regulated.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Extraordinary Member

Their were two reasons for the 2nd Amendment. Both were outdated.

1. The United States did not have a strong standing army and the idea of a well regulated militia was in part in case a foreign invader came and we needed to defend ourselves. We know have the largest military in the world. So that is out of date.

2. In the event that the government turned tyrannical the citizens could come up and overthrow them. That when out of date when we created the world's largest and most sophisticated military.

SECRET number 3..... in the South a militia was another word for slave patrols.... and that's out of date because we don't do that whole slavery thing anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    That is not the one difference.

We have a Constitutional Right to a gun. That does not exist in the countries that banned them.

All of our rights come with limitations and responsibilities attached to them, especially when it comes to dealing with other people who have just as many rights as ourselves. What we're being told with this absolute stonewall against any action is that the right to bear arms alone should come with no restrictions or qualifications, and that anyone else's rights that come in conflict with it must be smashed in the name of the second amendment.

Mighty Member

I imagine that guns can be a major lynchpin for one's sense of self-worth or potency.

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Another tragedy averted, but holy crap, get rid of this damn gun already!

Police said Wednesday that they discovered two AR-15 rifles, two handguns, and 90 high capacity military-grade magazines at the home of a student who allegedly planned to shoot up his Southern California high school.

According to the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department, a security guard at El Camino High School in Whittier overhead a "disgruntled student" threaten to open fire on the school on Friday, just two days after 17 people were gunned down at a Florida high school.

LASD Sheriff Jim McDonnell said his department takes seriously threats of violence on school campuses. School-related threats are on the increase in LA county, and are regularly investigated by his department, he said.

In the El Camino case, McDonnell said a security guard overheard the student say he was going to shoot up the school sometime in the next three weeks. The student had an "extensive" disciplinary record and officials found that a semi-automatic weapon was registered to the student's home address, McDonnell said.

The student was arrested Tuesday on charges of making criminal threats. The teen's brother, 28, has also been arrested on weapons charges. One of the rifles was registered to the brother, but the other was unregistered, McDonnell said.

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

CNN is hosting a Town Hall with Marco Rubio and my god, they are eating him alive. I'll be surprised if there's anything left of the guy by the time it is over. Looks like Senator Bill Nelson is gonna leave him wrecked. Here's a fun play by play on Twitter, with video clips!

Two highlights in particular:
    Also during this time, he refused to stop taking money from the NRA. Oooof, that's gonna hurt in the future hopefully.

WBE, you got plenty of stuff to work with for Rubio when his profile is due.

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

Most people in the country drink. Most people in the world drink or have drunk. It's a universal thing that's existed for most of modern civillization

With the most lax gun laws in the world 78% of the country doesn't own guns. That's a number that's going down. Those people are not going to run out to get guns if it was banned.

Not to mention it's much easier to secure alchohol, drink it, and not get caught.

Not nearly the same comparison
    My point being though you would have a situation where in the underground would circumvent the ban, allowing for a influx of mob like situations. Even so, a large number of gun fans would probably run out to get them, or a black market like thing will set up to cover the sales to those that want them. See ivory and poachers.