Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/stat...64280592445440

Read it and the attached article. It's about how Trump and Facebook and how Trump's team was charged less for its more provocative ads than the Clinton campaign was charged due to the latter not generating as much engagement.

Facebook, essentially, subsidized Trump's campaign of racial hatred and incitement in this way.

No wonder Zuckerberg is starting to think about political office. Facebook is in serious trouble if the Democrats take over the government again.
    Is Zuckenverg a democrat?

Dalak, I doubt Bernie is going to keel over anytime soon. He may look ancient but he probably still has 10 years or so before that's likely to happen.

Still, if he did go early his supporters would still do what they are doing. Except someone else would take the forefront.

Personally I think it would be best if he lost his seat to someone younger in the next election.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Dalak, I doubt Bernie is going to keel over anytime soon. He may look ancient but he probably still has 10 years or so before that's likely to happen.

Still, if he did go early his supporters would still do what they are doing. Except someone else would take the forefront.

Personally I think it would be best if he lost his seat to someone younger in the next election.
    Like who? Whi could replace Sanders?

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    We both know if Sanders ran as an independent he would have been accused of sabotaging the Democratic party and throwing the election to Trump. My goodness he ran as a Democrat and respected the primary by not running in the general election, and he was accused of being a factor in Trump's election.
    What does that idea have to do with the fact that most state primary elections are closed? All his supporters had to do in order to boost his numbers is change registration. It's not like closed primaries is an odd idea. Why wouldn't only registered democrats be allowed to vote on who gets choses as their parties representative. Its their party. Who else is supposed to ensure that their political positions are properly represented but them?

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post

Kevin Smith almost died last night, Scallia died unexpectedly, and I'm honestly surprised McCain is still going what with how nasty that type of brain tumor is supposed to be.

In other words: Mortality sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Mecegirl View Post
    What does that idea have to do with the fact that most state primary elections are closed? All his supporters had to do in order to boost his numbers is change registration. It's not like closed primaries is an odd idea. Why wouldn't only registered democrats be allowed to vote on who gets choses as their parties representative. Its their party. Who else is supposed to ensure that their political positions are properly represented but them?
    In this instance, it's that the party wanted to have it both ways.

They wanted a closed process that would benefit it's nominee of preference as well as the votes of the folks they kept out of the process come time for a general election.

Never mind that they wanted to do next to nothing to get those votes.

When they didn't get them, they wanted to blame the folks they intentionally kept out of the nomination process

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Friends and neighbors, here is gross and heinous exploitation at it's worst, and for the absolute basest of reasons:

Trump campaign emails photo of Parkland survivor, asks for donations

And I'll bet a month's paycheck that the survivor's family never knew the photo was used for that crass purpose. Because, if they had known, I'm sure they wouldn't have given the Trump campaign permission.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    In this instance, it's that the party wanted to have it both ways.

They wanted a closed process that would benefit it's nominee of preference as well as the votes of the folks they kept out of the process come time for a general election.

Never mind that they wanted to do next to nothing to get those votes.

When they didn't get them, they wanted to blame the folks they intentionally kept out of the nomination process
    This is a horseshit characterization.

It's not the Dems fault that the people they 'deliberately kept out of the process' didn't understand that you have to be a Democrat to vote in the primaries. You act like it was all some machievellian scheme to tilt things away from Sanders but it was the Sanderrs campaign job to get out there and get those voters to be able to vote in the primary by registering them as Democrats. They didn't do that. I mean, if you don't go into a campaign with some kind of plan on how to register your voters and how to reach out to them to tell them to register as dems in social media so they can vote in the primary....

They weren't 'deliberately' kept out of the process. They didn't just close the god-damn primaries to annoy Bernie. They had been like this for ages, alongside the moving away from caucuses because caucuses are less representative by a large extent.

Anyways, nearly all of these rules were in place well before Sanders had announced his candidacy. Hell, most of them were there before /Obama/ announced his candidacy. :P
    Last edited by Tendrin; 02-26-2018 at 06:32 AM.

Incidentally, if you haven't read this when it was posted in October of last year, you really should take the time to stop and read it.

https://www.reuters.com/investigates...odies-brokers/

LAS VEGAS – The company stacked brochures in funeral parlors around Sin City. On the cover: a couple clasping hands. Above the image, a promise: “Providing Options in Your Time of Need.”
    The company, Southern Nevada Donor Services, offered grieving families a way to eliminate expensive funeral costs: free cremation in exchange for donating a loved one’s body to “advance medical studies.”
    Outside Southern Nevada’s suburban warehouse, the circumstances were far from comforting. In the fall of 2015, neighboring tenants began complaining about a mysterious stench and bloody boxes in a Dumpster. That December, local health records show, someone contacted authorities to report odd activity in the courtyard.
    Health inspectors found a man in medical scrubs holding a garden hose. He was thawing a frozen human torso in the midday sun.

Quote Originally Posted by Tazirai View Post
    Politico despise Bernie probably as much as some of the people that post here. So /shrug Bernie is a false hope only to Right Leaning "Liberals" who despise the man.

Bernies fine. Hope he beats whoever the DNC puts upfront SOUNDLY! So sick of the smears against Progressives like him.
    If anything in that Politico article was "fake news" I apologize and I will delete my post.

BANNED

my issues with Sanders aren't smears

his campaign sucked at reaching out to minority voters, couldn't give a straight answer on race relations in this country, oh and his halfass stance on gun control is annoying is well

especially considering Vermont has zero gun regulation

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    They weren't 'deliberately' kept out of the process. They didn't just close the god-damn primaries to annoy Bernie. They had been like this for ages, alongside the moving away from caucuses because caucuses are less representative by a large extent.
    Yeah, no kidding.

This does not change the simple reality that Democrats wanted to have an "Us Only!" primary where someone who registered as a Democrat would have to win under those circumstances.

Once someone else won the nomination, plenty of people started throwing a fit about how the person who didn't win the nomination didn't deliver non-Democrat votes or the votes of Democrats that wouldn't have bothered except to vote for the person who wasn't a Democrat before the primary.

Yeah, no kidding. Folks you told "We Won't Give You Any Real Say In Our Nomination Process, But Be Sure To Vote Democrat In The General!" didn't show up.

Total shocker.

BANNED

I like that every state can decide if they have open or closed primaries

CT has closed primaries and Im fine with that

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mecegirl View Post
    Read the post I quoted if you want clarity

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dalak View Post
    So this conflict is more important to you than getting rid of Guns, and it's more important to be right than to work together with people who might have voted for Hilary in the general after voting for Bernie in the primaries? I guess I look at things differently since I think it's more important to stop what's going on right now and actually get the US to progress rather than to blindly submit to all the regression we've been suffering. Moral superiority or even just being right isn't worth human lives, and the more that the libs fight the better the chances of another 4 years of this shit getting smeared all over anything any of us actually care about.

And I notice there's no thought put into "What happens if Bernie dies tomorrow?" or the future of his politics in that case.
    I think we wouldn’t be going through this today if Bernie got the nomination and honestly, you are stuck with Trump for 3 more years and likely a Republican Senate for 3 more years. Your best bet is to win in 2020. You probably need a strong Presidential candidate who will rally the base and people will vote down ballot for. Who is the most popular politician in the country and who is deeply aligned with the base?

It’s a conversation worth having. Especially since the other side is hellbent on pushing him out and further splitting the party.