Ol' Doogie, Circa 2005 GindyPosts's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    What astonishes me is that it took this long for something this ugly to crop up.
    You've never been to places like Kiwi Farms & 4chan, haven't you?

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    With a certain moron with fake hair in the West Wing talking trade wars... the stock market continues to freak out.

As of this post, the Dow Jones is down another 360 points today.
    Down 560 now.

Edit: Closed down 720 points. Yikes! So glad I got out in time when Trump came in.
    Last edited by PaulBullion; 03-22-2018 at 01:06 PM.
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    No ****, Sherlock. You did, you said zero and looked utterly foolish doing so. It's never zero as long as he is on the ballot.
    So, do you think it's one in a hundred?
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    So, do you think it's one in a hundred?
    Your party is running a Nazi candidate whose chances are higher than zero.

You choose to remain a member of that party.

That is all that matters and all we need to know to take your measure.
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

Extraordinary Member

Thanks for the words of wisdom

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by TheInvisibleMan View Post
    no one in the center or on the left is advocating for a white ethnostate, or any kind of ethnostate along with sending people of different races "Back to their country of origin"
    Yeah, tell it to Mets.

Parties are set up to allow pretty much anyone who meets predefined standards to get the nomination. The predefined standards tend to be about age and residency requirements, rather than any political views.

The party officials have denounced the candidate, who won the nomination because no one else was interested in being a sacrificial lamb, and because this guy submitted items at the last minute.

To win an election in an unfavorable district, a party generally needs three things: a great candidate, a weak opponent and a terrific political environment. Democrats had these things and now Doug Jones is a Senator, while Conor Lamb is a Congressman.

The Nazi is running in a district that might be able to go to Republicans in a terrific political environment for the party. This does not appear to be a terrific political environment. To make up for that, the Nazi would have to be a truly impressive candidate. My understanding of the world is that he is not an impressive candidate, although if your view is that there are a lot of closet Nazis in the United States (or at least this Illinois congressional district) who typically don't vote or would otherwise vote for the Democrat, I could understand your concern that this guy has a chance of getting elected, even if I believe it to be quite misplaced.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JDogindy View Post
    You've never been to places like Kiwi Farms & 4chan, haven't you?
    I’ve heard of those cesspools, especially 4chan, but never visited those sites. I have more common sense than that.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Parties are set up to allow pretty much anyone who meets predefined standards to get the nomination. The predefined standards tend to be about age and residency requirements, rather than any political views.
    That seems like a really backwards way to run a political party.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    That seems like a really backwards way to run a political party.
    Yeah but it’s the way things work. The Party can’t just say “no you can’t run”

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    They could say: We need somebody to run against him, even if that person will have little chance of winning the general.

Hillary was right!

I remember reading that this Nazi had indeed been kept off the ballot before, though I'm not sure how.

They could say: We need somebody to run against him, even if that person will have little chance of winning the general.
    Let's go ahead, and roll the tape on that.

In multiple previous attempts to get the nomination, this guy's signatures have been tossed and he didn't even get on the ballot.

This time, he carefully collected them and turned them in at the last minute right before the deadline.

What, exactly, would have been the indicator that you needed to run someone? While I'm trying to understand what they should have seen and reacted to, I'm not sure what it is.

Extraordinary Member

Yes, they should put a memo saying “hey please waste your money and time for an unsinkable seat so this crazy dude doesn’t get the nomination by default”. He doesn’t have the party’s backing. There’s a million reasons to shot all over the Republican
    party. This one really isn’t on them.

Yes, they should put a memo saying “hey please waste your money and time for an unsinkable seat so this crazy dude doesn’t get the nomination by default”. He doesn’t have the party’s backing. There’s a million reasons to shot all over the Republican
    party. This one really isn’t on them.
    Putting "one their first primary with over 90% of the vote" could easily be spun for later career moves.

Hillary was right!