Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Hmm...I wonder if this PR stunt may or may not backfire. I think this sends perhaps an unintended message...that the CEO thinks racism is not just a problem with that particular manager or store, but that he thinks it might be a systematic problem through the company and the way the franchise does business.
    This boils down to BUSINESS.

Starbucks tried to be in the black community of Dallas and FAILED. 10 years later they are trying it again and LOL in the same areas that they failed before.

http://www.nielsen.com/us/en/insight...e-markets.html

Throughout 2017, popular brands witnessed the power of Black Twitter and the brand impact of socially conscious Black consumers. Through social media, Black consumers have brokered a seat at the table and are demanding that brands and marketers speak to them in ways that resonate culturally and experientially—if these brands want their business. And with African Americans spending $1.2 trillion annually, brands have a lot to lose.
    That is all this is about. He doesn't want to lose that black money where his stores are located in black communities.

Even if it is a PR stunt and he is willing to forfeit profit for one day to "appear" to do something-he is looking long run. And if this does happen again-NOBODY can say he didn't try to deal with it as the CEO.

blame black people?
    Why us? Most stores will have a sign that say bathroom for PAYING customers only.

Also as many elsewhere have pointed out-they have seen folks setup shop, do interviews, use WiFI, sleep, do home work and hang out in Starbucks among others (looking at YOU Barnes & Nobles) and not buy a THING. And no one tells them to leave.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Well, Starbucks had to do something as the chain was staring down the barrel of nationwide protests. Better to publicly admit you have a problem and try to correct it than to say and do nothing and let said problem fester into a nightmare.
    Absolutely, but he might be making it look worse than it may be. I mean, is racism so pervasive throughout your corporation that you have to close all your stores throughout the country?

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Do you think there's a more progressive thing he should have done? Or is he shit out of luck?
    While I thought the personal apology was good, he might trying too hard to appear progressive. He should have fired the employee, issued a statement, then maybe pointed to actual programs that the company has supported as proof that they don't tolerate racism.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Do you think there's a more progressive thing he should have done? Or is he shit out of luck?
    I think when you close all your stores you're telling everyone that your whole business has this problem. I don't think that is true because we'd have more stories. But there's another one today. So maybe he's aware of something that is not public yet?

I think they're losing business one way or the other no matter what they do.

Starbucks has been struggling so I half expect them to blame a revenue loss on these recent "race" incidents. Not on selling crappy coffee.

Sometimes firing the employee, issuing a statement, and calling out actual programs that Starbucks has supported that prove they don't tolerate racism is enough.

I think this is overreach.
    Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    Funny you should mention that! Trump just brought that ruling up.
    Obama's pick wrote an advisement for the conservative side.

2018 is a strange year.
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 04-17-2018 at 04:28 PM.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    Look man, that seat was stolen and given to you. Grow up.
    Saying that Congress should make law is easily the most "Grown Up" thing he has said yet.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    This boils down to BUSINESS.

Starbucks tried to be in the black community of Dallas and FAILED. 10 years later they are trying it again and LOL in the same areas that they failed before.

http://www.nielsen.com/us/en/insight...e-markets.html

That is all this is about. He doesn't want to lose that black money where his stores are located in black communities.
    By “black community”, are you referring to some upscale enclave? Because if you’re talking about da ‘hood, that ain’t happening. I live in predominantly black West Philadelphia and the nearest Starbucks is a good three miles from where I live, and that’s a conservative estimate. The nearest McDonalds is over two miles away, over a decade ago, there used to be a KFC literally right across the street from my block but moved after it had been robbed several times, and that’s why there’s no major chain stores other than drug stores in my neck of the woods.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

BANNED

Bernie comes out with a bill to HELP the People. Some of the people Yell out Bernie... morons.

Bernie comes out with a bill to HELP the people. Democrats don't want to support it. OF COURSE... Republicans WON'T support it... OF COURSE!!!
    There's a reason the Establishment HATE HIM!!! TAKE THE CORRUPTION BERNIE!!!! BOW YOUR HEAD!!!!

Sanders unveils bill targeting drug companies over opioid crisis

Literally if you Jail even just one of these heads of a Pharma company, the rest WILL bow their heads.

Ol' Doogie, Circa 2005 GindyPosts's Avatar

And Barbara Bush has officially passed away.

Who needs Starbucks when you can drink Alex Jones' tears?
    Mmmmm. So delicious.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Quote Originally Posted by JDogindy View Post
    RIP.

I could see the Bushes inviting the Clintons and the Obamas to the funeral... But I can't see the Bushes inviting Trump...

Ol' Doogie, Circa 2005 GindyPosts's Avatar

For those who don't understand"comfort Care", it is essentially a dignified passing. Treatment is given but mainly for pain relief, but anything else the person wants, they'll get.

It's very difficult to talk, but that's how my mom passed away, so I know what Barbara was given in her last hours.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JDogindy View Post
    Condolences to the Bush family. I believe Barbara was only woman who was both married to a president and had a son who became president.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

There was a nice story on BBC a few days ago about someone influenced by Barbara Bush, a teacher who couldn't read.

http://www.bbc.com/news/stories-43700153

Why did I go into teaching? Looking back it was crazy that I would do that. But I'd been through high school and college without getting caught - so being a teacher seemed a good place to hide. Nobody suspects a teacher of not knowing how to read.

I taught a lot of different things. I was an athletics coach. I taught social studies. I taught typing - I could copy-type at 65 words a minute but I didn't know what I was typing. I never wrote on a blackboard and there was no printed word in my classroom. We watched a lot of films and had a lot of discussions.

I remember how fearful I was. I couldn't even take the roll - I had to ask the students to pronounce their names so I could hear their names. And I always had two or three students who I identified early - the ones who could read and write best in the classroom - to help me. They were my teaching aides. They didn't suspect at all - you don't suspect the teacher.
    I taught high school from 1961 to 1978. Eight years after I quit my teaching job, something finally changed.

I was 47 going on 48 when I saw Barbara Bush - then Second Lady of the US - talking about adult literacy on TV. It was her special cause. I'd never heard anybody talking about adult literacy before, I thought I was the only person in the world that was in the situation I was in.

I was at this desperate spot in my life. I wanted to tell somebody and I wanted to get help and one day in the grocery store I was standing in line and there were two women in front of me talking about their adult brother who was going to the library. He was learning to read and they were just full of joy and I couldn't believe it.

So one Friday afternoon in my pinstriped suit I walked into the library and asked to see the director of the literacy programme and I sat down with her and I told her I couldn't read.

That was the second person in my adult life that I had ever told.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Condolences to the Bush family. I believe Barbara was only woman who was both married to a president and had a son who became president.
    Abigail Adams was the only other one.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.