Page 6728 of 6983 FirstFirst ... 57286228662866786718672467256726672767286729673067316732673867786828 ... LastLast
Results 100,906 to 100,920 of 104733

Quote Originally Posted by aja_christopher View Post
    You have absolutely no proof of that -- to the contrary, many people tend to get more conservative as they get older, which is why so many of our older relatives tend to be hardened racists.

Those who are rarely -- if ever -- exposed to people of other races and cultures have no reason whatsoever to become less racist as time passes, as exposure and travel are often the main reasons why people change their racist and/or bigoted views.

https://www.vox.com/2016/7/1/1205162...nce-psychology
    While I'm not going to say "There's nothing to that.", This quote from that article points to that there might be some "Big Picture" stuff to also take into account...

“A lot of research shows that older adults suffer losses in their ability to inhibit unwanted thoughts,” Von Hippel writes me in an email. “We have found that older adults who try to prevent stereotypes from influencing their judgment typically find that they rely on them more and more as they age. … Aging will tend to make many people more negatively disposed toward immigration.”
    Folks with Parkinsons' related dementia often think someone is trying to do something bad to them. I think that it could have something to do with that in addition to playing into what you mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    While I'm not going to say "There's nothing to that.", This quote from that article points to that there might be some "Big Picture" stuff to also take into account...

Folks with Parkinsons' related dementia often think someone is trying to do something bad to them. I think that it could have something to do with that in addition to playing into what you mentioned.
    I have nothing to back this up, but I always figured people became more conservative as they got older because their finances became more stable. That's...definitely not going to happen with this generation...

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    I think we've all got a few older relatives that prove that lots of people don't get less racist as they get older.

Things like racism, homophobia, Islamophobia (etc) usually diminish once you get to know people from those backgrounds who don't fit your negative stereotypes -- if that doesn't happen, then there's really no reason to change your perspective.

Three quarters of white people in America don't have any non-white friends -- which means that about three quarters of white Americans have no reason whatsoever to get less racist as they get older unless someone teaches them otherwise.

I can say from personal experience that one of the main reasons I don't stereotype people anymore is because I've met so many people from different backgrounds over the course of my life who don't fit the given stereotype -- if I didn't have those experiences, then I'd probably have a completely different outlook on "race" today.
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 06-21-2018 at 06:40 PM.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Supposedly, Sarah Huckabee Sanders is tired of trying to put a positive spin on the White House's policies

https://www.yahoo.com/news/m/3c705bd...anders-is.html
    Well, if Baghdad Betty is tired of constantly lying her ass off for this shitty administration, she can always quit. I seriously doubt she’ll be missed.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by aja_christopher View Post
    I think we've all got a few older relatives that prove that lots of people don't get less racist as they get older.

Things like racism, homophobia, Islamophobia (etc) usually diminish once you get to know people from those backgrounds who don't fit your negative stereotypes -- if that doesn't happen, then there's really no reason to change your perspective.

Three quarters of white people in America don't have any non-white friends -- which means that about three quarters of white Americans have no reason whatsoever to get less racist as they get older unless someone teaches them otherwise.

I can say from personal experience that one of the main reasons I don't stereotype people anymore is because I've met so many people from different backgrounds over the course of my life who don't fit the given stereotype -- if I didn't have those experiences, then I'd probably have a completely different outlook on "race" today.
    One other element of what I was talking about...

George W.'s old man. You have a guy that, on a personal level, no one had ever really had bad things to say about. Of the women who have mentioned that he might have done something inappropriate, it seems like a few of them were in the last five years.

I wonder how much of that might be the sort of cognitive wild cards that article mentioned as opposed to the guy becoming more of person who is more of a sexist.

While I don't think that there's any proving it plays in, I do wonder.

BANNED

Why are we still showing the victims names, but not the bigots?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Well, if Baghdad Betty is tired of constantly lying her ass off for this shitty administration, she can always quit. I seriously doubt she’ll be missed.
    Damn, gonna miss that Smokey Eye...
    Not at all actually.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

The funniest thing is watching Trump supporters try and not accept that he's to blame on forced separation. From blaming Bill Clinton to blaming Barack Obama. Me and someone else pointed out that no...those guys had nothing to do with it. I supplied links that Trump and his staff led by Nazi Stephen Miller worked on this. Miller its said played a big role in that one. I comically got...

"B.S INFORM YOURSELF !"

I posted more facts....and left a PLEASE INFORM YOURSELF....
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...130345147.html

So Trump doesn't like "elites," huh? I think he's still butt-hurt over the way the "elites" treated him at the Wharton School at U of Penn. He couldn't stand how all of his father's money couldn't buy him the respect he craved from the students who got there on their own merit. And of course, Mr. Never Let Go of a Grudge still resents those "elites" to this very day.
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

Quote Originally Posted by JCAll View Post
    I have nothing to back this up, but I always figured people became more conservative as they got older because their finances became more stable. That's...definitely not going to happen with this generation...
    What I see with my mom, who really has always been one of the least bigoted people I know: As she gets frail (she is 82 now and had some scary falls), she gets more afraid of, well, everything. So she is also more susceptible to fear mongering and I have to spend more time explaining things to her.
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

Turns out #Pizzagate wasn't just spread by bots and Russian agitators.

One major amplifier of the most disgusting and outrageous conspiracy theories of 2016 is now a high ranking Health and Human Services official, Ximena Barreto.

Health and Human Services official Ximena Barreto publicly apologized recently for her “heated and hyper-passionate” tweets on race and far-right conspiracies, after they were reported on by CNN.

She made her Twitter account private, and held on to her government job. But on that now-private account, she’s been unapologetic — recently calling the reports exposing her fringe views a “smear campaign.”

Mediaite conducted an extensive review of her social media posts and found that the HHS appointee pushed the baseless Pizzagate conspiracy theory even more than previously reported. Her tweets include smearing former Clinton campaign chairman John Podesta as “a pedophile,” accusing Democrats of hosting “Pedophile dinners,” and claiming liberals abuse children during satanic rituals.
    At least the people at HHS really, really care about kids, huh?

The Department of Health and Human Services is tasked with implementing health and welfare-related programs. Recently, the department came under fire for losing track of more than a thousand unaccompanied immigrant children that crossed the southern border and were placed with adult sponsors.

Hillary was right!

Vanity Fair about Stephen Miller:

“Stephen actually enjoys seeing those pictures at the border,” an outside White House adviser said. “He’s a twisted guy, the way he was raised and picked on. There’s always been a way he’s gone about this. He’s Waffen-SS.

Hillary was right!

So, do you guys remember Garfield minus Garfield?

It is actually SO MUCH BETTER than regular Garfield.

Which is probably why ABC will bring us a Roseanne minus Roseanne.

Hillary was right!

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    Which is why I call Miller "Kid Jackboot". The guy's a menace....AND A NAZI!

====================

Migrant Children Report Physical, Verbal Abuse In At Least 3 Federal Detention Centers

“Once you’re strapped down, they have total control over you,” a Honduran child said about being restrained in a chair for hours at a Virginia facility. At this point, I'm sad to say, it's only a matter of time before there's an immigrant death at one of these concentration camps.

DOJ Takes First Steps Toward Indefinite Detention Of Families

The Department of Justice filed in court for changes so it could detain kids for longer with their parents. The Krooked Keebler Elf sure loves being the villain.

Process To Reunite Detained Children With Immigrant Families Is ‘Total Chaos’

Immigration experts say there is no system in place to bring separated families back together. And I'm sure the administration never cared about creating such a system.

Melania Trump To Child Detainees: ‘Good Luck’

The first lady made a surprise visit to a shelter for migrant children in Texas on Thursday. That's it? Just "Good luck"? That's all? Jesus! Razor Cheeks should've just stayed home and saved the taxpayers some money rather than waste same on a gloried photo op.

In non-Kiddie Concentration Camp news:

Inside The Trump-Backed Campaign To Push Angela Merkel Out Of Power

The president, his allies and U.S. government officials are offering public and private support to anti-immigrant politicians hoping to topple Merkel by July 1. So, now Caramel Caligula is actively screwing around with leaders of other countries. Probably at the behest of his BFF Bad Vlad.

Courtesy of Jim Carrey. Yes, boys and girls....THAT Jim Carrey:

https://twitter.com/JimCarrey/status...14838632824835