Page 6916 of 6983 FirstFirst ... 5916641668166866690669126913691469156916691769186919692069266966 ... LastLast
Results 103,726 to 103,740 of 104733
    BANNED

Trump loves to unexpectedly pull the rug out from under his associates and embrace his opponents. He's done it consistently since the start of his administration.

It's dramatic. It's show biz. It's Trump.

Maybe that behavior had some positive value in the arcane world of a family-owned company operating in New York real estate. But it doesn't work for a president of the United States.

Even his strongest supporters have balked at his embracing Putin.

Here's the problem though: Someone will have to actually beat him in the 2020 election. And look at this pitifully weak field of Democratic contenders. I'm sure Hillary is considering this sad situation and is trying to set herself up as the white knight who will swoop in and reclaim the prize that she says was stolen from her.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.446551fb8ad6

I wish I shared some of y'alls optimism.

I fully expect a "backlash" and then Trump will yell abotu something else to get everyones attention and everyone will move on.

Those kids are still in cages right? Haven't heard much about them so they must be back home....

And the "republican's reach their breaking point" i swewar ive heard monthly since doofus started in office.

When it comes to election time, they will delude themselves that the other candidate is worse, no matter what, and vote accordingly.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

BANNED

Oh, and without Googling it, can you remember who Hillary's VP candidate was? Hint: He's not even on that list from the Washington Post! So how poor of a choice was he?

If Hillary had named Sanders as her veep, she'd have won. But Sanders is too old now, as is Biden.

Quote Originally Posted by aja_christopher View Post
    More on Pence, Sessions, the NRA and the Russians:

-----
    "Last week, under the guidance of special counsel Robert Mueller’s investigation into potential collusion between the Trump campaign and the Russian government, the Department of Justice indicted 12 suspected Russian intelligence officers, accusing them of interfering in the 2016 presidential election. This week, arrests continued. Maria Butina, a Russian graduate student at American University and gun rights activist, was accused of “acting as an agent for a foreign government.”

Yet according to the Department of Justice affidavit, one of the most striking elements of Butina’s case was the venue she allegedly chose to exert influence: the National Prayer Breakfast, a longstanding Washington tradition. The event has been attended by every president since Eisenhower and has about 4,000 attendees — influential policymakers and foreign dignitaries alike — annually.

At the 2016 and 2017 events, Butina allegedly met with unnamed American officials and “very influential” Russians, and seems to have successfully attempted to broker meetings between figures in these groups...

Tara Isabella Burton
    So who exactly are “the Family”? Let’s start there.

Jeffrey Sharlet
    It is [technically] called the Fellowship, referring to itself internally as the Family. It is the oldest and arguably most influential Christian conservative organization in Washington. And the reason some people may not have heard about it is because it’s also the most secretive.

They believe they are most effective if they don’t seek publicity, and they minister to those who may consider what they call it, the “up and out” or “key men” in positions of influence, if they minister to them privately beyond the public eye. So unlike the traditional Christian right that really wants to be on TV, getting attention, these guys practice what George Bush Sr. praised as a “quiet diplomacy.”

Tara Isabella Burton
    And how did this group come into existence? Are they associated with one particular school of Christian thought?

Jeffrey Sharlet
    They are nonsectarian, generically evangelical. They began in 1935 when the founder, a man named Abraham Vereide, had what he believed was a vision from God. He was a fairly prominent Christian leader of his time, ministering to business leaders and government figures.

But he felt that God spoke to him and told him that Christianity may have been getting it wrong for 2,000 years, with this focus on the poor and the weak and the down and out, and what God actually wanted was for Abraham — and those whom he chose — to minister to those whom he called the “up and out,” the “key men.”

He had this idea that if you could win a few key figures in positions of power for their idea of Christ, well, then they would reorganize society on that basis and you would have just kind of trickle-down fundamentalism. Always central is Jesus as they understand him, as a figure of strength...

So from their perspective, they’re not helping a Russian spy — they’re helping bring peace between two worthy and strong leaders who were chosen by God.

That’s the other thing you have to remember about them: they think if you’re in power, you’re in power because God puts you there, not any kind of voters."

https://www.vox.com/2018/7/18/175865...ast-the-family
    Oh yes...'The Family'. Isn't it just amazing - and totally NOT a ploy for power - that God 'told' the fraud who founded the Family/Fellowship that Christianity should focus on the rich and powerful, instead of those gross, useless poor, widows and orphans? It's like God wanted him to lead Protestantism to a level of temporal power akin to the Catholic church in the Dark Ages. Huh. Who knew God cared about influencing politicians to be terrible people, hiding behind a veneer of religiosity...?

This annual 'prayer breakfast', the influence of people like David goddamned Barton and James 'Beat your kids for Jesus' Dobson (Head of Focus on the Family...hmmm...which family? THE Family...?), and the rise of dominionism in America are key factors in America's current state as an undereducated laughing stock.

As I have said before, as recently as the 90's - and I wager still - Christian-run schools and Christianity-based home school programs have been driving dominionism into the minds of vulnerable, impressionable children. From 1991-1995, I attended a Christian high school that taught us, quite openly and unashamedly, to seek out positions in medicine, politics, entertainment, law enforcement, the military, and education as part of the Protestant-based Seven Mountains mandate, or theology.

As a teenager, I spoke out against it at church, to my parents, to teachers and classmates, because it DEEPLY undermines the core tenets of Christianity, but I got eyerolls, I was told I was exaggerating, I was told I was paranoid or flat out lying.

And yet, here we are. Dominionists control the Vice Presidency, several seats of power in Congress, and at least one seat on the Supreme Court, as well as who knows how many military chaplains and medical professionals. Fundamentalist Evangelical Christianity - Not Christianity itself, mind you - has dragged this country HARD to the right, and businesses and greedy shitheads like Musk, Adelson, the Kochs and so on, are taking advantage of the dumbing down of the nation at the hands of religious extremists to enrich themselves.

And now we have a President put in power by that unholy coalition, leading America right into the arms of another klepto-/theocratic hellhole, Russia. No one gets to act surprised, anymore. It's been in front of our face for DECADES.
    Last edited by zinderel; 07-19-2018 at 09:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    Butter emails.
    Benghazi!!!

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    I hinted a few pages ago that Trump might hate Montenegro because it has the word negro in it. Most likely Putin just told him to attack the country verbally.
    Russia as pissed that Montenegro joined NATO, in particular, Russian oligarch Oleg Deripaska has major beef with the nation, having sued them only two years ago over a dispute over a fortune in aluminum.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    Oh, and without Googling it, can you remember who Hillary's VP candidate was?
    Tim Kaine. He would be the same guy who's going to beat the f*** out of former Trump staffer and Neo-Confederate White Nationalist Corey Stewart in November.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

BANNED

Well, maybe the Democrats should nominate Kaine in 2020.

I don't think Trump would have anything to worry about from him, or from anyone else on that list. That's got to be the sorriest list of candidates either party has fielded in modern times.

Put Trump up against a generic Democrat in a poll, and he'd lose. But put him up against anyone from that list in an actual election, and he'd win.

It's tragic.
    Last edited by Trey Strain; 07-19-2018 at 01:50 PM.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    As with all things these days, it's all about the Benjamins, or, in this case, the rubles. Now we know why Putin's attack mutt, Caramel Caligula went on his little rant about how Montenegro, a country most people couldn't find on a map without help from Google would touch off World War II----because Bad Vlad told him to spew that nonsense.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    Well, maybe the Democrats should nominate Kaine in 2020.

I don't think Trump would have anything to worry about him, or from anyone else on that list. That's got to be the sorriest field of candidates either party has fielded in modern times.

Put Trump up against a generic Democrat in a poll, and he'd lose. But put him up against anyone from that list in an actual election, and he'd win.

It's tragic.
    A few of those candidates I would be all in on. I don't think any candidate is beating Trump period, not even whatever perfect candidate you have in your head.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by ZombieHavoc View Post
    A few of those candidates I would be all in on. I don't think any candidate is beating Trump period, not even whatever perfect candidate you have in your head.
    Eh, it remains to be seen how well he can do without election interference -- doesn't make sense to give a cheater any more credit than he's due.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by aja_christopher View Post
    Eh, it remains to be seen how well he can do without election interference -- doesn't make sense to give a cheater any more credit than he's due.
    The country and its people are too far gone. It's barely worth even bothering at this point. Trump wins, rich people win, we lose, America's toast.

The country and its people are too far gone. It's barely worth even bothering at this point. Trump wins, rich people win, we lose, America's toast.
    Blimey. I wouldn’t like to be your soul brother in optimism.

Helicopter view. Last time out Democrats selected a candidate that couldn’t attack some of his weak points, emphasised some of his strengths, etc. She didn’t pick best VP running mate, and was too confident of winning, so didn’t campaign vigorously enough. Oh, and our friends the Russians played a load of tricks.

And after all that, it was close. Economy might dive in next couple of years, Trump might do something..loads of possibilities that might lose some crucial votes, etc.

If I could get even money at a reputable bookie that Trump won’t serve a second term I’d be putting down a chunky bet.

Are any bookmakers quoting odds yet? Could I get evens?

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

Plot twist: rich people need to breathe air and drink water, too, so nobody wins.
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    Blimey. I wouldn’t like to be your soul brother in optimism.

Helicopter view. Last time out Democrats selected a candidate that couldn’t attack some of his weak points, emphasised some of his strengths, etc. She didn’t pick best VP running mate, and was too confident of winning, so didn’t campaign vigorously enough. Oh, and our friends the Russians played a load of tricks.

And after all that, it was close. Economy might dive in next couple of years, Trump might do something..loads of possibilities that might lose some crucial votes, etc.

If I could get even money at a reputable bookie that Trump won’t serve a second term I’d be putting down a chunky bet.

Are any bookmakers quoting odds yet? Could I get evens?
    She campaigned with pneumonia until she collapsed. Everything you wrote about Hillary there is bullshit.
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!