Page 6966 of 6983 FirstFirst ... 596664666866691669566962696369646965696669676968696969706976 ... LastLast
Results 104,476 to 104,490 of 104733
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChadH View Post
    As a Caucasian, I know the temptation here is to be offended and I won't lie, I am a little.
    I'd suggest taking a step back from that and looking at things from a different perspective: As a member of the race in America who's had it's boot on the neck of every other race in this country since it's inception, do I really have the latitude to criticize her for her hostility?
    I can't honestly say. If I were an Asian-American woman in todays society I might very well feel the same way.
    I just hope she gets over her hatred eventually, since it seems like a detriment.
    Plus, I can't take this stuff seriously. Conservative outlets hire and (and keep employed) many people that say shitty things or racist things or controversial things. And their only response generally is, suck it up.

I'm not going to hold NYT to different standards.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChadH View Post
    As a Caucasian, I know the temptation here is to be offended and I won't lie, I am a little.
    I'd suggest taking a step back from that and looking at things from a different perspective: As a member of the race in America who's had it's boot on the neck of every other race in this country since it's inception, do I really have the latitude to criticize her for her hostility?
    I can't honestly say. If I were an Asian-American woman in todays society I might very well feel the same way.
    I just hope she gets over her hatred eventually, since it seems like a detriment.
    Question: would you tell a black person to take a step back and look at things from a different perspective when they experience racism and consider the intricacies and upbringing that led to those feelings. Or isn’t it only white people that need to jump through arbitrary hoops when confronted with what is very clearly blatant racism?

People are individuals. When you aggregate people in groups and excuse bad behavior because individuals in another group had bad behavior it leads to collective stereotypes and generalizations. Which can lead to racism.

No I really don’t need to do a little thought exercise to say what she said was racist and should be treated as such.

Quote Originally Posted by Things Fall Apart View Post
    It's difficult for me to follow this during the day, so I really appreciate these bullet point updates you've been doing. Thanks!
    You're welcome.

I try to put in everything, including the judge remarks of language and admonishments. It's funny though, those 20 minutes distilled into one line, are all Fox News focuses on.

Not the hidden bank accounts.

Not the fake invoices.

Not the GRU operative posing as Manafort's translator.

Etc.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by ZombieHavoc View Post
    Plus, I can't take this stuff seriously. Conservative outlets hire and (and keep employed) many people that say shitty things or racist things or controversial things. And their only response generally is, suck it up.

I'm not going to hold NYT to different standards.
    Are you okay with conservative outlets when they do it?

If you aren't, then wouldnt you be holding NYT to different standards?
    When I was seventeen,
    I drank some very good beer,
    I drank some very good beer
    I purchased with a fake ID.

My name was Brian McGee,
    I stayed up listenin' to Queen
    When I was seventeen.

IDK what is going on... I keep double posting on this site.
    When I was seventeen,
    I drank some very good beer,
    I drank some very good beer
    I purchased with a fake ID.

My name was Brian McGee,
    I stayed up listenin' to Queen
    When I was seventeen.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jackmando7 View Post
    Are you okay with conservative outlets when they do it?

If you aren't, then wouldnt you be holding NYT to different standards?
    Hm, maybe I'll rephrase it. I'm not going to acknowledge conservative campaigns holding NYT to different standards than they hold conservative outlets.

The large majority who might be mad about this NYT thing don't give a fuck about the nature of the tweets. Just that it's NYT.

And also, I don't actually care who conservative outlets hire. I don't really expect much from them anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by ZombieHavoc View Post
    Hm, maybe I'll rephrase it. I'm not going to acknowledge conservative campaigns holding NYT to different standards than they hold conservative outlets.

The large majority who might be mad about this NYT thing don't give a fuck about the nature of the tweets. Just that it's NYT.

And also, I don't actually care who conservative outlets hire. I don't really expect much from them anyway.
    Pretty much this, I find their claims of morality to be proven false every day they don't rail against the shit going down like they would under practically anyone who's not Trump. They are willing to ignore any bigotry on their side as long as they can find something they can pull to make it seem like the other side is worse. To note, I find her tweets to go far beyond the pale and don't agree with them but think that complaining about her while ignoring literal hordes of those screaming for a wall to keep out the murdering and raping mexicans and the orange shitgibbon that emboldens them is near the peak of hypocrisy.

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    Question: would you tell a black person to take a step back and look at things from a different perspective when they experience racism and consider the intricacies and upbringing that led to those feelings. Or isn’t it only white people that need to jump through arbitrary hoops when confronted with what is very clearly blatant racism?

People are individuals. When you aggregate people in groups and excuse bad behavior because individuals in another group had bad behavior it leads to collective stereotypes and generalizations. Which can lead to racism.

No I really don’t need to do a little thought exercise to say what she said was racist and should be treated as such.
    You don't see a difference between insulting and attacking the, on average, most powerful and privileged group in society towards attacking the downtrodden?
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    Question: would you tell a black person to take a step back and look at things from a different perspective when they experience racism and consider the intricacies and upbringing that led to those feelings?
    would you tell a black person that?

disclaimer: I think the woman's comments were out of line and suggestive of a weak mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalak View Post
    Pretty much this, I find their claims of morality to be proven false every day they don't rail against the shit going down like they would under practically anyone who's not Trump. They are willing to ignore any bigotry on their side as long as they can find something they can pull to make it seem like the other side is worse. To note, I find her tweets to go far beyond the pale and don't agree with them but think that complaining about her while ignoring literal hordes of those screaming for a wall to keep out the murdering and raping mexicans and the orange shitgibbon that emboldens them is near the peak of hypocrisy.
    I agree - although I think both she, and people like the twit who said nobody outside of Europe ever contributed to culture should be confined to the dustbin of obscurity.

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

"I'm tired of partisanship and frankly, we didn't treat their candidates for these positions the way they're treating ours," Sen. Orrin Hatch (R-Utah) said of Democrats opposing Kavanaugh's confirmation due to "dumbass" partisanship
    Reeeeeeally can't wait until this old fossil finally leaves.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    I agree - although I think both she, and people like the twit who said nobody outside of Europe ever contributed to culture should be confined to the dustbin of obscurity.
    That she is saying that she enjoys being cruel is the real issue there. I've got enough of them already.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    Honestly I'd perfer all bigots who see any races as superior/inferior be isolated from society on an island or space station/colony somewhere and allowed to let their ideas of purity flower to let all of humanity see the sick fruit that develops. Or learn how long it takes such groups kill themselves out, either/or.

Astonishing Member

How in the world can they complain Democrats want to review documents when they flat out absolutely REFUSED to even contemplate Merrick Garland when Obama put him up? They can go to hell with that whining

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by kidfresh512 View Post
    How in the world can they complain Democrats want to review documents when they flat out absolutely REFUSED to even contemplate Merrick Garland when Obama put him up? They can go to hell with that whining
    They were letting the will of the people decide. They always had the will of the people in mind.