Page 9 of 6983 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319591095091009 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Despite how emotionally charged this current situation with Boko Haram may be, it's important to remember that groups like them are just symptoms of the real problems that Nigeria and the rest of Africa are dealing with. It is very much in the interest of the dictators that run the continent to keep militant groups active so that they can continue to line their own pockets with foreign aid while conveniently ignoring the problems that the aid was meant to help deal with. Of course, since it seems senselessly cruel to Western minds to cut off aid to the poor starving African children, it continues to flow in with little regard to where it ends up or what it's actually being used for.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Arundel Armor Hunter View Post
    the US has more big cities than Canada. Those tend to attract crime and are harder to police.
    Is that why Toronto, London, Tokyo, Vancouver, Montreal, Paris, Rome, Sidney et al have similar per capita gun deaths to comparable American cities? Oh, wait...
    Last edited by dupersuper; 05-08-2014 at 06:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    It is very much in the interest of the dictators that run the continent to keep militant groups active so that they can continue to line their own pockets with foreign aid
    President Jonathan is elected, and Nigeria's not the only country to not be run by a dictator. Boko Haram's killings (which also have targeted the government) led to a state of emergency being declared last year in northern Nigeria, with the military being sent in full force - which is also going to cost a lot of money - and have still failed to stop the group, making Jonathan and his government look like **** (and probably pissed off Cameroon since the militants have moved there now). It's definitely not in his interests for Boko Haram to remain active. It fucks with his ability to still have a job come next election and not come off as a loser (and leaders have egos).

Quote Originally Posted by Charles RB View Post
    President Jonathan is elected, and Nigeria's not the only country to not be run by a dictator. Boko Haram's killings (which also have targeted the government) led to a state of emergency being declared last year in northern Nigeria, with the military being sent in full force - which is also going to cost a lot of money - and have still failed to stop the group, making Jonathan and his government look like **** (and probably pissed off Cameroon since the militants have moved there now). It's definitely not in his interests for Boko Haram to remain active. It fucks with his ability to still have a job come next election and not come off as a loser (and leaders have egos).
    It currently looks like Johnathan is not too worried, there are reposrts that many of the troops he has there are a unarmed. I think his interest is more on not making waves and on making money than the fate of a few hundred poor kids.

In our latest, "politicians wasting time on partisan crap" and/or "dragging their feet on things that should have little to no opposition"...

For many years, there's been a discussion of a proposed National Women's History Museum. Well, while sane people think, "Huh, that would be a good thing to honor"...
    Michelle Bachmann, meanwhile, has declared such a place a "Shrine to Abortion". Which, would be kind of an exaggeration, given the fact that no federal funding is being issued to this project with the bill yet, and no discussion of the museum's content is in the legislation about it before Congress. Did I mention the bill is co-written by a Democrat AND another Republican?

Well, that doesn't stop Bachmann from giving a level-headed reaction.

And in other news... the questions that will be asked at the FOURTEENTH Benghazi were revealed by the GOP "investigator", Trey Gowdy. And guess what? All three of those questions require detailed answers... WE ALREADY KNOW THE ANSWERS TO FROM PREVIOUS HEARINGS.

1. Why was security lacking during the anniversary of the 9/11 attacks in the U.S.?
    2. Why weren't military units moving to support consulate personnel?
    3. Why were references to "terrorist" and "attacks" edited out of the Obama administration's talking points?
    In other words, yes, the Republicans are spending your tax dollars to whip a dead horse.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

The Biggest Story In The World this week, according to The Sun, is that Pizza Express uses halal chicken and doesn't tell people (except that it publicly said it was doing this when it started and there've been stories before).

I'm sure this is about concerns about how animals are slaughtered and there's no other reason.

Quote Originally Posted by CenturianSpy View Post
    Our news reports them escaping into Cameroon. I'll put US Special forces against ANY other armed unit in terms of limiting casualities. Some of those girls are going to die in the rescue regardless who does it.

Edit: I'll also say if the US doesn't do it, NONE of your countries will. Nor will the UN. The US Teams that we have there now may be just training a Nigerian/Cameroon task force, but I doubt that. They'll probably go in and do the deed and allow that task force to take credit.

Putin should do it..send in a Spetsnaz team, win himself a Noble prize.
    There's UK, French and Chinese aid as well as US there. Cameron offered the use of the SAS. They were refused til this week. The group are spread over the north of Nigeria which has a river to separate it.

Sending special forces in is a mistake, not only that, the attitude of 'well, some of these girls would die anyone' is repugnant and there's plenty on the left, right and centre voicing this opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by CenturianSpy View Post
    Goodluck Jonathan's wife was denying there even were kidnappings...

This also goes to idea that in Islam, a man can own a woman (some sects allow up to 4 wives, but a man owns his daughters). I see almost NO difference in what these kidnappers are doing then the arranged marriages set by patriarchs, shieks, imams, & mullahs. In a religon were you are FORCED to submit to your male "leaders" almost all "marriages" are kidnapping and rape.
    Boko Harem operate a seriously fucked up view of Islam and in their campaigns have murdered any Imam who spoke out against them or have supported the education of children.

Islam is not one hive mind.

If the captives are found, that Nigeria - or Cameroon or wherever they are - is going to use force to get them out (and some of them will die) or it's going to have to negotiate with the captives, meaning they get something they want and likely something that will help them keep murdering other children. There isn't a way to free them that isn't going to have blood on it.
    It already has. They've murdered scores of children already. The thing is there's no easy solution here and this macho nonsense about sending in the boys isn't going to make it any better.

Of course there's the corruption within the Nigerian government to deal with and the question of whom exactly within the government is possibly sponsoring them.

The Biggest Story In The World this week, according to The Sun, is that Pizza Express uses halal chicken and doesn't tell people (except that it publicly said it was doing this when it started and there've been stories before).

I'm sure this is about concerns about how animals are slaughtered and there's no other reason.
    They've publically had halal meat for years. The Subway story last week where The Mail said Subway had 'suddenly' started using halal should have been 'they've actually been doing so since 2007 and advertise it freely'.

But yes, it's obviously to do with animal cruelty. Nothing else, oh no.

Spectacular Member Puppetmaker Grae's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mikekerr3 View Post
    It currently looks like Johnathan is not too worried, there are reposrts that many of the troops he has there are a unarmed. I think his interest is more on not making waves and on making money than the fate of a few hundred poor kids.
    My understanding of this, is that the military's history of coups and support for various dictatorships over the decades has resulted in the current government deliberately underfunding it as means of control.

Quote Originally Posted by king mob View Post
    Sending special forces in is a mistake, not only that, the attitude of 'well, some of these girls would die anyone' is repugnant and there's plenty on the left, right and centre voicing this opinion.
    It s the probable alternative of theses girls remaining slave and abused for the rest of their lives any less repugnant?

Quote Originally Posted by king mob View Post
    There's UK, French and Chinese aid as well as US there. Cameron offered the use of the SAS. They were refused til this week. The group are spread over the north of Nigeria which has a river to separate it.

I feel like not sending in crack forces is a mistake. It might be a political mire to go in without sovereign invitation. But letting a-holes like Bono Barak run rampant is worse in the long run. And if the President does request help, as many allied countries with as many guys should go in and wreak as much havoc as possible.

I dunno about wreaking havoc, but a rescue mission doesn't sound unreasonable. And special forces would probably be able to get the job done with less collateral damage and loss of innocent life. I would hope, anyway.

I would rather it be a joint effort than unilateral, though. I mean, stopping stuff like this is what the UN is for.
    "It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

"If you can't say anything nice about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"You're much stronger than you think you are." - Superman, on humankind

All-New, All-Different Marvel Checklist

Quote Originally Posted by Michael P View Post
    I dunno about wreaking havoc, but a rescue mission doesn't sound unreasonable. And special forces would probably be able to get the job done with less collateral damage and loss of innocent life. I would hope, anyway.

I would rather it be a joint effort than unilateral, though. I mean, stopping stuff like this is what the UN is for.
    Okay, so my desire to have a kicking delivered to groups like that is a little over wrought. But,yes. There definitely needs to be a special forces rescue mission enacted.