Default "PENGUINS CAN'T FLY!!!" - Comic Book FILMS/TV Whose Logic You Could *NOT* ACCEPT

My younger sister is a big Harry Potter fan. When friends of hers would complain about the logic in the book, she would retort - "you're saying the broom-flying doesn't look realistic in the book of magical wizards?" I chuckled to myself, as comic geeks we have the same type of issues. John Landis once asked his son, Max, "How do you kill a vampire?" Max replied "garlic, stake through the heart.." The elder Landis let Max go on for a moment then said "Any way you want! They don't exist!"

Point taken.

Comic book films and sci fi shows have their own logic, their own physics, their own reasons for being thought up by creators, and there are BOUND to be cracks in the logic for some of these stories.

MY QUESTION IS:

What film, tv show, etc., took such a leap of logic, that you, as an audience member, could not accept such a turn and turns you off to the film?

For example - Spider-Man always having a crisis of faith onscreen, Heroes - tv show - everyone looking like models or being really dumb, always having the damsel in distress for a plot.

This post is supposed to be the polar opposite to another thread.
    http://community.comicbookresources....-awesome!-quot

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by arosenbarger View Post
    John Landis once asked his son, Max, "How do you kill a vampire?" Max replied "garlic, stake through the heart.." The elder Landis let Max go on for a moment then said "Any way you want! They don't exist!"

Point taken.
    Hmmmm....very neatly explains why, in "An American Werewolf In London", the werewolf could be killed by regular rifle shots, instead of needing silver bullets. I must have seen that movie 50 times, and I always wondered about that. Always seemed like a bit of a disconnect when you throw out one supernatural element, and yet you've got the undead visiting the main character in the same movie.

Anyway, to be honest, I never really quibbled about it. To like the kind of stuff we like, you "Suspension Of Disbelief" circuit pretty much always needs to be switched on. (Mine is, anyway.) Otherwise, it just sucks all the fun out of it.
    Last edited by Joker Venom; 08-14-2014 at 01:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by arosenbarger View Post
    MY QUESTION IS:
    What film, tv show, etc., took such a leap of logic, that you, as an audience member, could not accept such a turn and turns you off to the film?
    I was literally screaming at the TV when a small bunch of soldiers manage to storm and take the White House in 24. No, no, NO!!! EVERY room has a panic button, there are guards and soldiers EVERYWHERE and any distubance brings down the wrath of god in the form of a military ARMY the second anyone pushes that button. There is no way 16 soldiers could take it, even with breaking in through a drain pipe.

I can suspend my disbelief in nearly anything, but that was a step too far...

Astonishing Member PretenderNX01's Avatar

My only complaint is when they set up rules, then violate them.

"Supernatural" lost me as it kept throwing out established rules just for the sake of doing something with the main characters. OK, I'll except the demon brought a special knife to stab the possessed instead of having to kill them. OK, you found special incantations to cast them out later, otherworldly beings can bring in their own weapons.

But, speaking of vampires, when you've established there's no saving a vampire at all ever- don't tell me that Dean can be turned into a vampire but "hey, six years later we found a special spell that works in this specific case" (vampires that heaven't fed yet). That's just too many contradictions to your established rules.