Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Anybody here think Jeph Loeb's Superman/Batman is any good?
    Dreams save us. Dreams lift us up and transform us. And on my soul, I swear... until my dream of a world where dignity, honor and justice becomes the reality we all share -- I'll never stop fighting. Ever.
    -Superman, Action Comics #775

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jphu8414 View Post
    Anybody here think Jeph Loeb's Superman/Batman is any good?
    It starts out solid, gets meh, and for good or ill the last arc with the faux-Marvel Universe reads like straight-up crazy fanfiction.
    Buh-bye

I know you're trying to find out where I hang my cape. YOU WON'T.

Quote Originally Posted by Lexrules View Post
    Your best bet is going back to the old Worlds Finest run for good Superman/Batman Teamups.
    I was going to say that too. I have volume one. I find the stories too child level in some ways but interesting in others. Many of the earliest ones were written by Edmond Hamilton, a truly extraordinary writer who wrote some of my favorite science fiction short stories including, "He That Hath Wings". His greatest strength was his characterization and getting into the minds of the characters. But, in his WF stories, that is lacking because he is writing to a very young audience. But the plots are very clever. What I like most is that Batman and Superman are very even in intellect. Sometimes one trumps the other but it's back and forth, no dumbing down of one to make the other look good and yet they both come out looking good. But maybe that's what happens when you have a good writer who likes both characters.
    Power with Girl is better.

Retired

Edmond Hamilton has always been one of my favourite writers--even when I didn't know he was the writer of the story I was reading and enjoying.

I suppose it's true that his WORLD'S FINEST team-ups are stronger on plot, whereas other stories he did for Superman and Batman individually could have greater character development. But I never minded this. The original run of Superman-Batman adventures in WFC, mostly written by Hamilton and by Bill Finger, are visually interesting thanks to Dick Sprang. Sprang was able to draw the Bob Kane style Batman and Robin with the Wayne Boring style Superman and blend those styles together in a satisfying way.

The Curt Swan and George Klein WORLD'S FINEST stories in the '60s were also visually satisfying. Being edited by Mort Weisinger (rather than earlier editor Jack Schiff), those stories have more elaborate plots (sometimes crafted by Hamilton, as well). Both Cary Bates and Jim Shooter did some of their earliest writing for WORLD'S FINEST. As with a lot of Weisinger books, the Imaginary Stories are often more interesting than the regular tales. In particular, I think most modern readers would like Shooter's "Superman and Batman . . . Brothers" for WFC 172 (December '67)--in which Shooter brings out the dark avenger aspect of the Batman (which was quite unusual for its time). That book also has a wonderful Norman Rockwell style cover by Swan and Klein.

My favourite Luthor-Joker team-up was in WFC 177 (August '68)--"Duel of the Crime Kings"--also written by Shooter (but not an Imaginary Story). The chemistry between the Criminal Scientist and the Clown Prince is perfect. More fun than any boy has the right to hope for at the price of 12 cents.

I''ll say Superman Annual #9 from 1983. It's a fun story that highlights both Batman and Superman and their pre-Crisis friendship but what makes the story even more fun is Alex Toth's artwork. His art really sells the "World's Finest" hijinks on the last 2 pages.