Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Galerion View Post
    I will have a chuckle when Wolverine doesn't win this to be honest because it kinda shows the unexplained bias this forum seems to have. In every single other poll where people are asked to vote for their favorite Marvel characters he always makes at least top 5 right along with the other big marvel icons like Spider-Man, Captain America, Thor, etc.
    Not sure if I would call it bias exactly. If you just think about it for a bit you realize that it just shows that most people here have grown a bit weary of him since he has been handled pretty badly in X-Men comics in recent years. It's maybe different for Avengers readers since Wolverine hasn't appeared in all Avengers books written by 2-4 different writers simultaneously, as far as I can tell. There he has been mostly confined to one book/team/writer's vision of him at one time. On the other hand he has been present in half of the x-books for almost a decade now and usually all of those x-books were written by different writers so his character has suffered from the inconsistent characterization and readers of the X-Men suffer from Wolverine exhaustion. I used to love Wolvie when I got into comics and he was my favorite for a long time but I've grown tired of him for exactly these reasons I mentioned.

Aside from that it probably also depends on whether most people answering the poll are fans of Marvel through comics etc. or only movies/cartoons/games and other stuff with having little familiarity with the actual comics. And there is a difference because even thought I really don't like any Avengers in comics these days I still feel that movie Avengers can be very likeable.

So it's kind of same if you asked people whether they preferred Spock or Peter Parker Spidey. People who read the Spidey comics might answer either one but those who haven't read the Spidey comics wouldn't even be familiar with Spock since he hasn't appeared in movies/cartoons/games/whatever.

And btw, what exactly makes you think that he doesn't win or place really well? He seems to be on the lists of many posters even if he isn't number one on most of them so he'll likely still place very high because let's face it, we all probably know which characters will be in the top 10 for certain.
    Last edited by JustAnotherFan; 10-22-2015 at 10:51 PM.

I'd also wonder how many X-Men options are in "every other poll". If your voting options are, say, Cyke, Wolverine, and Beast, then yeah, guess who's probably going to take most of the vote.

01. Gambit
    02. Wolverine
    03. Nightcrawler
    04. Cyclops
    05. Iceman
    06. Beast
    07. Archangel
    08. Colossus
    09. Cannonball
    10. Banshee

Quote Originally Posted by JustAnotherFan View Post
    Not sure if I would call it bias exactly. If you just think about it for a bit you realize that it just shows that most people here have grown a bit weary of him since he has been handled pretty badly in X-Men comics in recent years. It's maybe different for Avengers readers since Wolverine hasn't appeared in all Avengers books written by 2-4 different writers simultaneously, as far as I can tell. There he has been mostly confined to one book/team/writer's vision of him at one time. On the other hand he has been present in half of the x-books for almost a decade now and usually all of those x-books were written by different writers so his character has suffered from the inconsistent characterization and readers of the X-Men suffer from Wolverine exhaustion. I used to love Wolvie when I got into comics and he was my favorite for a long time but I've grown tired of him for exactly these reasons I mentioned.

Aside from that it probably also depends on whether most people answering the poll are fans of Marvel through comics etc. or only movies/cartoons/games and other stuff with having little familiarity with the actual comics. And there is a difference because even thought I really don't like any Avengers in comics these days I still feel that movie Avengers can be very likeable.

So it's kind of same if you asked people whether they preferred Spock or Peter Parker Spidey. People who read the Spidey comics might answer either one but those who haven't read the Spidey comics wouldn't even be familiar with Spock since he hasn't appeared in movies/cartoons/games/whatever.

And btw, what exactly makes you think that he doesn't win or place really well? He seems to be on the lists of many posters even if he isn't number one on most of them so he'll likely still place very high because let's face it, we all probably know which characters will be in the top 10 for certain.
    Well his appreciation thread is dead for example. The thread of the most popular X-character and one of the most popular Marvel characters in general is dead. Think about it for a second.
    It has nothing to do with him being dead since it was dead even before that and other characters are not suffering from that since they all have hundreds of pages which is an understatement when looking at some of them while Wolverine has a measly 57. They can do with Cyclops what they want but his fans are still there and posting for example. That is just odd.

There are very few people on here who identify themselves clearly as Wolverine fans like Berserkclaw for example and there is zero talk even about the many old X-Men or solo stories of him which were great. Death of Wolverine had a great creative team, was good, had probably the best written Wolverine in years and sold hundred-thousands of copies but still barely got any discussion on here so I don't think the bad handling of the character and bad stories are a sufficient explanation for it. There is a big and clear rift between this forum and the general populace.

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    I'd also wonder how many X-Men options are in "every other poll". If your voting options are, say, Cyke, Wolverine, and Beast, then yeah, guess who's probably going to take most of the vote.
    Im not even talking about polls with options. I mean polls exactly like this one were people make a list of their top 10 favorite Marvel characters in general like these ones

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources...-characters-4/
    https://forums.marvelheroes.com/disc...october-8th/p1
    http://observationdeck.kinja.com/som...-cb-1568108064
    "This is me being reasonable"

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    Most of those voters also tend not to read comics. They love Hugh Jackman and they think Wolverine is Hugh Jackman, so automatic Logan vote.

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Most of those voters also tend not to read comics. They love Hugh Jackman and they think Wolverine is Hugh Jackman, so automatic Logan vote.
    I think that's right. The people who vote here (in the forum of X-Men) know many X-Men.
    Many of the people who vote on general marvel sites, mostly know the X-Men from movies, the cartoon series or the major roles they played in events/crossovers.

Now the results are not known yet, so let's keep on voting and wait with the discussion (if it's really readed) when the results are publised.
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================

Well his appreciation thread is dead for example. The thread of the most popular X-character and one of the most popular Marvel characters in general is dead. Think about it for a second.
    It has nothing to do with him being dead since it was dead even before that and other characters are not suffering from that since they all have hundreds of pages which is an understatement when looking at some of them while Wolverine has a measly 57. They can do with Cyclops what they want but his fans are still there and posting for example. That is just odd.

There are very few people on here who identify themselves clearly as Wolverine fans like Berserkclaw for example and there is zero talk even about the many old X-Men or solo stories of him which were great. Death of Wolverine had a great creative team, was good, had probably the best written Wolverine in years and sold hundred-thousands of copies but still barely got any discussion on here so I don't think the bad handling of the character and bad stories are a sufficient explanation for it. There is a big and clear rift between this forum and the general populace.

Im not even talking about polls with options. I mean polls exactly like this one were people make a list of their top 10 favorite Marvel characters in general like these ones

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources...-characters-4/
    https://forums.marvelheroes.com/disc...october-8th/p1
    http://observationdeck.kinja.com/som...-cb-1568108064
    I'm not sure how that changes anything I said previously. This is x-boards, frequented by people who read x-books and Wolverine has been everywhere when it comes to x-books and his characterization has been all over the place too so not really surprised that his appreciation thread here is dead. Just as I said, I used to be a fan of his but I've gotten an overdose because at one point there was no x-book he wasn't appearing in so he was almost force fed to all x-fans. And considering the sales of Wolverine's latest solo (not counting Death of... since it's sales were artificially inflated by the death promotion) and the fact that Marvel felt it appropriate to kill him I'd say that his popularity has suffered a blow among the whole comic book fanbase, and it's not just something exclusive to these boards.

Also as Confuzzled and Master of Sound said (and as I pointed out in my previous post) I would have to question how many of the people on these "other boards" you're speaking of actually are familiar enough with the X-Men comics to even name 10-20 male X-Men outside of Wolverine let alone know enough to make a top 10 or 20 favorite male X-Men list.

Wolverine being one of the most popular and well known Marvel characters has to do with the fact that he has been one of the most visible X-Men in every medium outside comics. His popularity among x-fans is determined more by his depiction in the x-comics.
    Poll about Top 10 male Marvel characters =/= poll about Top 10 male X-Men

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

okay, let's drop the discussion for now please and let the voting continue
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"

1 Cyclops
    2 Beast
    3 Iceman
    4 Cannonball
    5 Havok
    6 Gambit
    7 Cable
    8 Madrox
    9 Magneto
    10 Wolverine

All-New Member

1. Cyclops
    2. Cable
    3. Archangel
    4. Wolverine
    5. Iceman
    6. Nightcrawler
    7. Colossus
    8. Beast
    9. Havok
    10. Gambit

Astonishing Member Tazpocalapse's Avatar

1. Bishop before they ruined him. Thumbs up guys.
    2. Cyclops
    3. Banshee
    4.Nightcrawler
    5.Chamber
    6.Longshot
    7.Colossus
    8.Darwin
    9.Quicksilver
    10. Legion
    Wolverine and Gambit are 2 of my top 10 but i chose Longshot and Legion to vote for instead.
    Last edited by Tazpocalapse; 10-23-2015 at 09:28 AM.

my top male x men

1 Wolverine
    2 Beast
    3 Colossus
    4 Gambit
    5 Xavier
    6 Cloak
    7 Warpath
    8 Nightcrawler
    9 Sunspot
    10 Elixer

There is a big and clear rift between this forum and the general populace.
    I completely agree.
    Storm thread in this forum = a lot of fans.
    Sales Storm comics = poor.
    Last edited by Jumbo; 10-23-2015 at 09:17 AM.

1) Wolverine (far and away my overwhelming #1)
    2) Nightcrawler
    3) Archangel
    4) Cable
    5) Cannonball
    6) Gambit
    7) Forge
    8) Bishop
    9) Cyclops
    10) Colossus
    Bronze Age baby.
    OGG - Original Grim 'n Gritty

Punchedugly.com