Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Karnak #1 - Spoilers Are Insignificant, Just Like All Of Us

So, Karnak #1, anyone? The adventures of a nihilist super-philosopher by Ellis and Zaffino? It's off-putting, in the best possible way.

Karnak, recently resurrected, has severed ties with the Royal Family and has founded a monastery based on his philosophy. He also has a side-deal with SHIELD where they'll donate to his group if he helps with difficult cases. In this issue, Agents Coulson and Simmons ask him to recover a kidnapped Inhuman boy from an AIM splinter cell.

Honestly, this issue is a lot of set-up. It establishes Karnak's new status quo and attitude, then sets up the plot. The main draw is that attitude. Karnak is . . . well, he's an *******. Ellis takes his ability to see the flaws in all things and connects that to a particularly bleak worldview. It's not nice, but it works really well. This version of Karnak isn't pleasant, but I'm really, really interested in how far he can go. Zaffino's work suits the tone, rough but powerful. It's not going to be to everyone's taste, but it fits this book.
    Last edited by Expletive Deleted; 10-21-2015 at 07:18 AM.

I think I may set aside my avoiding of anything to do with Agents of SHIELD and Inhumans to pick this up. If Ellis does what I think he will with this issue, I think I'll like it. And nihilism has always been an interesting subject to read about.
    Currently Reading: DC: Shazam /// MARVEL: Daredevil, Invaders, Winter Soldier /// IMAGE: Seven to Eternity /// TITAN: Bloodborne

Upcoming Reading:

Trade Waiting: IMAGE: East of West, Black Road, The Black Monday Murders /// DARK HORSE: Hellboy, Witcher

not sure what to think about this yet but intersting first issue

the issue with karnak is doing to be giving hi a weakness... right now he seems like an unstoppable machine
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

It'd be hilarious if Karnak's horrible worldview was his flaw. It'd be pretty fitting too.

But I liked this issue! Then again, I've been liking this "Minimalism" Ellis streak since Moon Knight.
    "Race is a social construct, they say. And I remind them that money is a social construct, too. Social constructs have power." — DeRay Mckesson

Quote Originally Posted by Double 0 View Post
    It'd be hilarious if Karnak's horrible worldview was his flaw. It'd be pretty fitting too.
    wow that would be perfect lol
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

I eagerly await the collected edition.
    "It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

"If you can't say anything nice about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"You're much stronger than you think you are." - Superman, on humankind

All-New, All-Different Marvel Checklist

BANNED

This was a very good issue. Ellis has taken some liberties with Karnaks personality by making him a much darker character than he has ever been but I'm hoping that by the end of the arch Karnak will have balanced out who he was before he "died" and who is today.

Note....I don't think Karnak has "severed" ties with the Royal Family as much as he has decided to focus on taking more of a role with the Tower of Wisdom. Stepping down doesn't mean he's done with his family.

Anyway, love how Ellis establishes Karnak as a badass right out the gate. That bullet slice was outstanding!
    Last edited by Trident; 10-21-2015 at 10:35 AM.

BANNED

Cool issue. The cliffhanger ending was pretty ho-hum but it's Ellis' wonderfully dour and dyspeptic dialogue for Karnak that's going to keep me around. I had high hopes for this issue and was not disappointed.

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

The book was interesting, but not quite there as a total package for me. The best part of the issue was the discussion between Karnak, Coulson, and the parents. The worst part was the abrupt final scene. It felt tacked on to fulfill an action quota.

I do have to admit that the "clean the latrenes" after Karnak giving his students his lessons to contemplate made me laugh out loud.

BANNED

One thing about this title that new fans should know....is the intro page pretty much made it clear that you don't have to be following any of the other Inhuman titles to keep up as to what is going on in this title. Should make it very new reader friendly and help those who are interested in the character but do not want to really dive into the Inhuman/Royal Family pool.

Incredible Member

Karnak had a goofy outfit when I first read about him, but he always had a badass attitude and interesting power-set. Ellis did a good job with the attitude and the power set and this title doesn't really require you to be well versed with the current Marvel U. Recommended.

Fun-Eating Devil The Beast Of Yucca Flats's Avatar

Gerardo Zaffino really got his father's knack for atmosphere.

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Beast Of Yucca Flats View Post
    Gerardo Zaffino really got his father's knack for atmosphere.
    He sure does. I think I would have preferred this in b&w. (Not that the colors were bad.)

I didn't really know who Karnak was, never was interested in the Inhumans and really only picked up this issue because of Ellis.

It was one of the best books I read in the last few weeks. Really interesting character, fitting Artwork and a story that will keep me reading.
    My Blog about comics, games and stuff in german: Nerdenthum

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Double 0 View Post
    I think Gorgon called him on that in the Jenkins/Lee mini. Possibly while drunk.

Karnak was being a downer in that and holding back way more than he needed to, to kind of be superior. Maudlin, bighead, kung fu weirdo.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)