Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    BANNED

Great first issue. But my only question is: How do you challenge someone who sees the flaws and weaknesses in everything? Wouldn't that just make him a walking deus ex machina?

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjak View Post
    Great first issue. But my only question is: How do you challenge someone who sees the flaws and weaknesses in everything? Wouldn't that just make him a walking deus ex machina?
    This person must see and deal with the flaws in himself.

That must be the riddle of Karnak.

I really hope Ellis writes this for more than six issues. I want at least 12-18 so that he can do a definitive take on the character.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

BANNED

Not really. Just because you can see or know someone's weakness it doesn't mean you can do something about it. Karnak is only physically of Steve Rogers or Blade. So depending on the threat he very well may not be able to successfully act on his "power" and example would be someone with a ranged ability an is a good distance away from him or someone who's physically on the level of someone like Thor, both cases would take more than just knowing his opponents weakness to overcome them. Karnak also, at least in the past, didn't instantly see the person/objects/ect weakness. Sometimes he has to actually observer/study it before he can find a way to overcome it.

Quote Originally Posted by Trident View Post
    Not really. Just because you can see or know someone's weakness it doesn't mean you can do something about it. Karnak is only physically of Steve Rogers or Blade. So depending on the threat he very well may not be able to successfully act on his "power" and example would be someone with a ranged ability an is a good distance away from him or someone who's physically on the level of someone like Thor, both cases would take more than just knowing his opponents weakness to overcome them. Karnak also, at least in the past, didn't instantly see the person/objects/ect weakness. Sometimes he has to actually observer/study it before he can find a way to overcome it.
    What are some definitive Karnak stories. I've really only read Jenkins' mini, Silent War, the stuff with Black Panther, and the stuff from Inhumanity so he's largely a blank slate to me.
    Last edited by KOSLOX; 10-23-2015 at 10:10 AM.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Spear of Bashenga View Post
    What are some definitive Karnak stories. I've really only read Jenkins' mini, Silent War, the stuff with Black Panther, and the stuff from Inhumanity so he's largely a blank slate to me.
    Honestly.....he doesn't really have any "definitive" stories but stories that he is heavily featured in with the Royal Family. Luckily he has a high position with In the group and in Inhuman society that fans/readers get a better look at him in comparison to some of the other members but there aren't many stories that feature just him and what he is all about. Jenkins mini is probably the most focus he has gotten with Secret Invasion: Inhumans being a close second due to it being written from mostly his perspective.

I'm putting together a list of stories that Karnak has appeared in currently and will try to break it down to an "Essential" list from there. It's not finished yet but I will go ahead an place what I have so far in Karnaks Thread later today or tomorrow.
    Last edited by Trident; 10-23-2015 at 02:53 PM.

Honestly.....he doesn't really have any "definitive" stories but stories that he is heavily featured in with the Royal Family. Luckily he has a high position with In the group and in Inhuman society that fans/readers get a better look at him in comparison to some of the other members but there aren't many stories that feature just him and what he is all about. Jenkins mini is probably the most focus he has gotten with Secret Invasion: Inhumans being a close second due to it being written from mostly his perspective.

I'm putting together a list of stories that Karnak has appeared in currently and will try to break it down to an "Essential" list from there. It's not finished yet but I will go ahead an place what I have so far in Karnaks Thread later today.
    Awesome. Thanks.
    Pull List:

Even if he senses the weakness in an opponent, that doesn't mean he's able to do something about it. He once detected a pressure point that was Hulk's weak point; Blackbolt tried to defeat Hulk punching that point, and while he made Hulk scream in pain, he wasn't strong enough to take him down. Hulk just got angrier and crushed Blackbolt.

Astonishing Member

some of the flaws he perceives cannot be easily exploited. for example, its easy to see the physical flaws in magneto or iron man; its hard to take advantage of them when their several hundred feet up flinging stuff at sufficient velocity

Incredible Member

As others have said, just because you can see a flaw, doesn't mean you have the ability to do anything about it.

I believe Karnak has taken a vow of celibacy durring his time as a monk/high priest of the Inhumans. Which admittedly, would have no effect on him falling for someone but might influence him actually acting on it. It could be interesting interesting take.
    Well the line (paraphrased) about love being for idiots who want to believe the world is weaker suggests he ain't looking for love.

but you could imagine having his 'curse'? It would be so difficult to be with someone with it. You'd always be seeing their flaws, rather than the things that makes them unique and beautiful.
    My fan fiction:

The Outstanding, a fan fic Universe where Marvel characters and stories are reshaped, revised and retold. Check it out!

The Ultimate Flash, where I take inspiration from classic Silver-Age Comics of Barry Allen and the new CW TV Show to give an old character a new spin! Click here to read!

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away the Marvel and Star Wars Universe combine! Check out Marvel: Star Wars' first family, the Fantastic Four! Read it here!

I am more intrigued by the mechanics of how Karnak determines flaws in everything. Some things deal with metaphysical flaws, and it is in the case of the parents being asked to pay with their most precious commodity, that reminds me of a religious article, like a bible. So I was wondering if Karnak sees religion as a flaw in humans, yet, he runs a Monestary? So I am reading this to see what depths of flaws it goes into about the world. I have a feeling Karnak killed himself because he was unable to pick the flaw in Black Bolt (for deliberately setting off the Terrigen Mists), and Karnaks own flaw for not picking this is something Black Bolt will do. It appears similar to the journey Speedball took when he decided to become Penance.

But I have been intrigued at the painful ability to detect the flaw in everything. It's sort of a supernatural ability tied to Black Magic, in that if someone has this ability, all they see is the depressing side of life, because everyone is deluding themselves into thinking they are in control of themselves, when in fact, they are hiding their faults or convincing themselves they are true and right. Being in a world of truth is very painful, because who can you love, if that person is so defective, or, delusional? Karnak couldn't love Black Bolt anymore because Bolt turned out to be just like Maximus.
    Last edited by jackolover; 10-24-2015 at 03:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    Some things deal with metaphysical flaws, and it is in the case of the parents being asked to pay with their most precious commodity, that reminds me of a religious article, like a bible. So I was wondering if Karnak sees religion as a flaw in humans, yet, he runs a Monestary?
    Well there is a big difference between theism and a religion based purely on philosophy.

Quote Originally Posted by xMatt View Post
    Well the line (paraphrased) about love being for idiots who want to believe the world is weaker suggests he ain't looking for love.

but you could imagine having his 'curse'? It would be so difficult to be with someone with it. You'd always be seeing their flaws, rather than the things that makes them unique and beautiful.
    In my experience that's how you find it. I know it's cliché to say it, but such is life.
    Pull List:

Did anyone else think this issue was disjointed? It felt like the language was too clipped at times, and some of the short sentences felt stranded and unrelated to context. I haven't read a massive amount of Ellis's work but I have read a few of his series, and I don't remember thinking his language usage was unclear before.

Was this just me?