Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I LOVED the first issue of this arc, but have been a bit less enthusiastic with each installment, and with this issue I officially don't care anymore and am probably done. The writing and art were both really dull. This was easily the worst art I have ever seen from Manapul -- the coloring did him no favors but it just totally lacked his usual flair. The script felt bored and lifeless and turning these characters into serious gods is pretty much the last thing I want to see.

I have been gradually moving away from Big Two comics over the last few years and I'm thinking I'm pretty much done with them (outside of re-reading my favorite old classics). The endless reboots, rehashes, and event cycles feel so creatively devoid compared to what I am getting from my indie titles.
    Image Comics (TPB):
    Saga, Southern Bastards, Injection, Descender, Deadly Class, Chew, Black Magick

DC Rebirth (Digital):
    The Flash, Batman, Green Lanterns, Aquaman

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    My only complaint is that its irritating how Johns keeps on pushing some "Superman is human" agenda, as the prophecy of the human to lead Apokolips after Darkseid's death was clearly referring to Clark. Dude, he's not human. He never has been. Stop trying to push it. He identifies a lot with humanity and loves them and its a privilege to live among them, but he's Kryptonian. Period.
    the prophecy could refer to either (new52 lex is from kansas, his father was a farmer, he's saved the world and has managed to get people thinking he brings hope and justice)

Hmm, I forgot he came from farming parents. Maybe you're right then and I'll have to toss this complaint,
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by king of hybrids View Post
    the prophecy could refer to either (new52 lex is from kansas, his father was a farmer, he's saved the world and has managed to get people thinking he brings hope and justice)
    Where was it said that Lex was from farming parents in the New 52? I don't recall that at all, but I may have missed it. Was that a Johns thing? Kinda smells like a Johns thing.

As far as I know, we haven't gotten much of Lex's background prior to his work for the US military.

What a difference the artist makes. I don't usually like Manapul's art so having it right after Fabok's was disappointing to say the least.
    I'm continuing to enjoy the story. Not sure if I'll read any of the spinoff titles, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Quote Originally Posted by DGraysonWorldsGreatestSpy View Post
    This issue was establishing the New God Justice League. I think Superman got the short end of the stick with just being the God of Strength.
    This really pissed me off! Superman is the brutish God of Strength?!? Batman becomes Metron God of Knowledge, Luthor becomes the new Darkseid and Superman gets to be a super thug. So Superman's New God equivalent is Kalibak?!? That's so very weak. Yet another evil version of Superman to add to the pile. He should've gotten the power of The Infinity Man!

Incredible Member

Shazam becomes God of Gods !?!? So he is the leader now ?

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    This really pissed me off! Superman is the brutish God of Strength?!? Batman becomes Metron God of Knowledge, Luthor becomes the new Darkseid and Superman gets to be a super thug. So Superman's New God equivalent is Kalibak?!? That's so very weak. Yet another evil version of Superman to add to the pile. He should've gotten the power of The Infinity Man!
    Infinity Man, or Highfather. Superman, boiled down, is moreso about "hope". He isn't brutish by any stretch.

Eh Johns just didn't want to use him too much. I find that "gaining the powers of the New Gods" misses much of the point of the New Gods, if not entirely misses the point.

Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    I think we finally hit the point where we can bail on this event
    The Darkseid war portion is clearly over and now we are focusing on the JL as new gods spin off
    It is not an event. It is happening in a JL book so focus on the JL is expected.
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Where was it said that Lex was from farming parents in the New 52? I don't recall that at all, but I may have missed it. Was that a Johns thing? Kinda smells like a Johns thing.

As far as I know, we haven't gotten much of Lex's background prior to his work for the US military.
    Johns had large chunks of lex's backstory restored in FE. the luthor siblings grew up in kansas, they were dirt poor, lex tried to cure lena of a potentially fatal illness but left her paralysed and then abandoned her to move to metropolis to make his name

so yeah, a johns thing

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    the manner in which they became new gods is indelibly tainted by AM's machinations (flash and batman), the anti-life equation's deleterious effects on higher levels of reality (Shazam) or the raw evil of apokolips (lex and superman)

while a new god can be created by embodying an ideal; they've been corrupted by the attributes/desires that enable them to embody those ideals (lex -the desire to lord his superiority over all, superman - wanting the strength to save everyone, batman - knowing everything so he can always be prepared, flash - desire to always be faster than death so he can save people etc) which is perfectly within the twisted nature of apokolips

This is turning into a modern day classic .

the manner in which they became new gods is indelibly tainted by AM's machinations (flash and batman), the anti-life equation's deleterious effects on higher levels of reality (Shazam) or the raw evil of apokolips (lex and superman)

while a new god can be created by embodying an ideal; they've been corrupted by the attributes/desires that enable them to embody those ideals (lex -the desire to lord his superiority over all, superman - wanting the strength to save everyone, batman - knowing everything so he can always be prepared, flash - desire to always be faster than death so he can save people etc) which is perfectly within the twisted nature of apokolips
    yes but Batman and Lex are getting a twisted version of something they've always craved. Knowledge and power. Superman just became a jerk.

it just sucks that Supes get the short end of this story. if everyone is getting and extreme and twisted version of their desires then Superman should become one with the Source so he has the power to help everyone. but the downside is he looses his humanity (one of his biggest fears) and become cold and distant kinda like Dr. Manhattan.
    Last edited by Robotman; 10-22-2015 at 09:34 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Infinity Man, or Highfather. Superman, boiled down, is moreso about "hope". He isn't brutish by any stretch.

Eh Johns just didn't want to use him too much. I find that "gaining the powers of the New Gods" misses much of the point of the New Gods, if not entirely misses the point.
    superman didn't gain powers, he was just inverted

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Baggie_Saiyan View Post
    It is not an event. It is happening in a JL book so focus on the JL is expected.
    Shhh, logic isn't the objective here.

The beginning of the comic clearly stated we only just got halfway through this arc, so let's see what this new development means on the entire scheme.

After years of JLA absence, the last issue I think was 4, of the 52 relaunch, I gave it a try because of Jason Fabok. That said, issue 44 left me wanting to see the outcome, sadly 45 fell short on delivering. Not sure if it was Manpul, who I usually like, or the writing, overall I have this feeling of a lackluster approach towards this issue. Somehow anticlimatic.