Unhappy Why is Essential X Men #9 so EXPENSIVE?

I've been steadily collecting and reading all of the Essential X-Men volumes. All volumes up to #8, used, range from about $10-$20 in pretty good condition. I'm about ready to buy #9, go to amazon, and find this:

http://www.amazon.com/Essential-X-Me...ential+x+men+9

Why is the cheapest used copy OVER FIFTY DOLLARS?? Volumes #10 and #11 are about $15 a copy, what makes #9 so damned rare and expensive? Is "Inferno" really so amazing that everybody is hoarding their copy? Did they just... forget to reprint that volume? It seems they did, because #9's latest reprint was in 2009, when every other volume was reprinted in 2011 or 2012. What the hell, Marvel? I'm not paying $50+shipping for a black-and-white newspaper-print trade paperback with library stickers.

Are there any other trade paperbacks out there that have Uncanny X-Men #244-#264 in them? I thought I recalled there being an Omnibus with those issues in them, but I can't find it now.

PLZ HALP

I call BS on that. This same volume was in my LCS for only $20 which is the usual price for Essentials. For that price It had better have more issue numbers.
    I don't care! I'll start my own group. Rejection from society is what started the X-men.

I'm bumping this post... I need some kind of answer, speculation, ANYTHING. It's driving me insane.

That is weird. Do you know of any good comic book shops that carry a lot of graphic novels? It is possible to find some good Essential X-Men tradepacks there.

Teenage Exorcist just another user's Avatar

Just because someone is attempting to sell something for $50 doesn't mean anyone is paying that. But it doesn't hurt the seller to ask cos if someone does pay then they're laughing.

You quite often find that tpbs that are out of print (like this one is) have stupid prices on Amazon. It's supply and demand.

Fortunately though the Essential line do get reprinted now and again. Just wait a year and you should be able to pick it up at a normal price.

Teenage Exorcist just another user's Avatar

Oh, and you can pick up the first Claremont /Lee omnibus which includes 244 to 269 as well as other stuff. Maybe that's why 9 didn't get reprinted with the others recently, I think the omnibus came out around them

Quote Originally Posted by just another user View Post
    Just because someone is attempting to sell something for $50 doesn't mean anyone is paying that. But it doesn't hurt the seller to ask cos if someone does pay then they're laughing.

You quite often find that tpbs that are out of print (like this one is) have stupid prices on Amazon. It's supply and demand.

Fortunately though the Essential line do get reprinted now and again. Just wait a year and you should be able to pick it up at a normal price.
    Yeah, when I was doing online book sales, we often referred to the Amazon price as the "crack" price and always checked other venues before using that as a benchmark for competitive pricing. Check some online comic shops or other online booksellers, like ABE or even eBay, and see if they've got better offers on-hand. Sometimes it's just worth waiting too, to see if another seller decides to undercut the Amazon price.

BANNED

It contains a controversial Storm panel.

♥♥عابث سولاناس♥♥ Park Slope Pixie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DDD View Post
    It contains a controversial Storm panel.
    ah, that one where she's competent?

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    Yeah, when I was doing online book sales, we often referred to the Amazon price as the "crack" price and always checked other venues before using that as a benchmark for competitive pricing. Check some online comic shops or other online booksellers, like ABE or even eBay, and see if they've got better offers on-hand. Sometimes it's just worth waiting too, to see if another seller decides to undercut the Amazon price.
    I recall checking the price a few years ago and it was still very expensive, and they still haven't reprinted it yet. I checked those other sites you mentioned, and they were even more expensive. I checked every comic store with a website within 100 miles of me and nobody has it. I checked every library within 20 miles of me (which wouldn't do any good anyway because I wouldn't be able to check it out) and nobody has it. The omnibus somebody mentioned a few posts ago costs the same or more than the essential tpb in all of the previously mentioned venues (and libraries don't carry it).
    It would actually be $10 cheaper to buy every single comic in the tpb individually through comixology. I might just do that, though I loathe the idea of not having a physical copy almost as much as I loathe the idea of paying $10 more for something tangible.
    If these issues were like, the BEST in the uncanny line, I wouldn't mind the high price... but I feel like I'm paying $50 to see the second Hobbit movie just so I'll know what's going on in the third.

BANNED

why I think the Essential X-Men #9 trade paperback is so expensive is because it includes the debut of Jubilee, Gambit and whatever else that went on at the time for Uncanny X-Men I think back then.