Page 43 of 44 FirstFirst ... 33394041424344 LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    So what is it? He doesn't want anyone else to write the character? Personally I didn't like the direction he used in Cold Dead Hands. He needs to move on.
    I also HATED the direction of Cold Dead Hands.

HOWEVER I think the point he is making is when does BL get to stand on his OWN? Get built UP on his own.

To be his own franchise. Like we see with the guy from Wakanda and Danielle Cage's Daddy in Harlem or nerdy kid who sounds like Phil Lamarr in Dakota.

Because right now you are using Batman's book and name to showcase a character that is not linked to Batman.

Because lets say that book sales-the EXCUSE will always be it's due to BATMAN and no one else. So why give them any shots. Never mind 3 had solos. 2 ruined by editors.

I think he wants to see an EFFORT to build up BL without help. Miles nor Ms Marvel are where they are being sidekicks to Carol & Peter. They had their own books. Same with Panther 20 years ago.

Batman can not keep being used to build others.

in this instance I think he is on point. DC only really uses BL one way
    The J-man

While the art in the Cold Dead Hands series was fantastic, the writing and story left much to be desired. Jet pack gang members? Usagi? The use of the Justice League in the finale? I couldn’t appreciate any of those things. I want more Black Lightning but not more of him written like that.

As a huge Black Lightning fan, I’d love to see BL built up on his own. What would it take to build him up in the landscape of this DC fanbase?

honestly, just keep hoping the show on CW does well and maybe a cartoon. It's kind of backwards but it really takes outside forces to change things in the comics. Otherwise they usually keep the status quo.

Other alternative is one of the 3 big DC writers at the moment decides to push him, this is very unlikely but in the event this ere to happen the best bet would be Bendis
    The J-man

Mighty Member

Bendis writing a Black Lightning series would be interesting. He always seemed fond of minority characters. It shows in his work.
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I sympathize with Isabella. He's essentially in the same position Seigel & Shuster were in with Superman back in the 50s and 60s, watching his creation evolve into something very different that what he intended. However, the fact remains that Isabella does not own Black Lightning. There is no doubt he was screwed over by others, just as Seigel & Shuster were.

However, the creative decisions made to both Superman & Black Lightning since then by other creators have often been good ones, and shouldn't be disregarded because their original creators were mistreated. Just as we don't know how successful Superman would have remained had Seigel & Shuster continued to be the driving force behind the character, we can't know how Black Lightning would have turned out if Isabella not been screwed over.

If Isabella's Cold Dead Hands miniseries didn't garner enough sales or buzz for DC's liking, then Black Lightning being major part of the Outsiders seems like a pretty smart way to keep the character active in the DCU. Afterall, had Black Lightning not been included in the original Outsiders team back in the '80s, it's likely that the character would be even more obscure. I am sure more readers were exposed to Black Lightning through the Batman & The Outsiders comics than all of his solo series put together. We probably wouldn't have even gotten the current Black Lightning TV show.

I can appreciate the route they're going in order to build up Black Lightning. I don't believe just throwing him out there in a solo would work just yet.

Now putting him in a high profile book in the batfamily where he stars can garner plenty of exposure though. And it doesn't have to take long to get him a solo. We just need people to know he's out here to pull their attention. Have him show up in Justice League for a bit.

As for Bendis, Cyborg needs him. He needs him bad.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    I also HATED the direction of Cold Dead Hands.

HOWEVER I think the point he is making is when does BL get to stand on his OWN? Get built UP on his own.

To be his own franchise. Like we see with the guy from Wakanda and Danielle Cage's Daddy in Harlem or nerdy kid who sounds like Phil Lamarr in Dakota.

Because right now you are using Batman's book and name to showcase a character that is not linked to Batman.

Because lets say that book sales-the EXCUSE will always be it's due to BATMAN and no one else. So why give them any shots. Never mind 3 had solos. 2 ruined by editors.

I think he wants to see an EFFORT to build up BL without help. Miles nor Ms Marvel are where they are being sidekicks to Carol & Peter. They had their own books. Same with Panther 20 years ago.

Batman can not keep being used to build others.
    Miles and Ms Marvel sales inside the direct market SUCK. Plus they have the added bonus of legacy which Black Lightning does not have.

Gorgeous Dexter Soy art for a Black Lightning/Katana story next month. A taste of what's to come on the Outsiders book.

Quote Originally Posted by Iconic View Post

Gorgeous Dexter Soy art for a Black Lightning/Katana story next month. A taste of what's to come on the Outsiders book.
    Dexter Soy draws some very attractive figures in spandex .

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iconic View Post

That is some nice art.

While I for one, am glad that Jeff is going to get some exposure in the comics again with the new Outsiders book, I would also like to see him used somewhere else (preferably in a book where there is more emphasis on him than with him and a whole bunch of other characters) in order to build more of a following comic book wise.

I know he's had his own solo series a few times that failed and that he still might not have a whole lot of name recognition comic wise despite his TV show, so I was thinking that maybe a team up book with someone appropriate might be the route to go this time.

For me, I would like to see a Black Lightning/Green Arrow book. They both have their own shows on the same network and also have their own separate comic book backgrounds/histories with the same company for fans to delve into if they want.

I liked their relationship as started during the Bronze Age up until Flashpoint and wouldn't mind if DC's 2 first street level "SJW's" were paired up in a book together.

wf256_005.jpg

BlackLightning7.jpg

Who would you like to see Jefferson teamed up with in a comic?

Quote Originally Posted by docmidnite View Post
    BlackLightning7.jpg

Who would you like to see Jefferson teamed up with in a comic?
    The only one that I can think of is Green Arrow, like you said. If he's paired up with any of the Justice Leaguers (barring Cyborg), there's a chance the writer will favor them over Jeff and he'll be overshadowed by them due to the massive difference in popularity. Any other character won't be enough to bring in even moderate attention. Ollie and Jeff is the best option imo since they're both on CW and bound to crossover at some point, so the fans of the TV shows would likely be interested in the book. Also, I feel they match up best because of their heavy "look out for the little man" vibe, as well as being street levelers who sometimes join the JL when needed; they're within the same realm.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I sympathize with Isabella. He's essentially in the same position Seigel & Shuster were in with Superman back in the 50s and 60s, watching his creation evolve into something very different that what he intended. However, the fact remains that Isabella does not own Black Lightning. There is no doubt he was screwed over by others, just as Seigel & Shuster were.

However, the creative decisions made to both Superman & Black Lightning since then by other creators have often been good ones, and shouldn't be disregarded because their original creators were mistreated. Just as we don't know how successful Superman would have remained had Seigel & Shuster continued to be the driving force behind the character, we can't know how Black Lightning would have turned out if Isabella not been screwed over.

If Isabella's Cold Dead Hands miniseries didn't garner enough sales or buzz for DC's liking, then Black Lightning being major part of the Outsiders seems like a pretty smart way to keep the character active in the DCU. Afterall, had Black Lightning not been included in the original Outsiders team back in the '80s, it's likely that the character would be even more obscure. I am sure more readers were exposed to Black Lightning through the Batman & The Outsiders comics than all of his solo series put together. We probably wouldn't have even gotten the current Black Lightning TV show.
    I like the original and I felt it needed to be pushed hard by DC. To me, they are 30 years late on this.