Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default 🔥Curse of Brimstone🔥 Appreciation Thread!

Curse of Brimstone Appreciation Thread! Discussions/News/Interviews/Art

This has been one of my favorite (Derek/Sideways being the other) NAOH books. A really grounded approach, Joe just want a better life for him and his sister Annie. A smart girl who works hard to take care of the family, (a jobless brother, and a father who’s a former shell of himself, who loans out his disability money to bum friends, leaving Annie with the burden to bear) all while per suing her nursing degree...

Joe doesn’t have a girlfriend, or any type of social life, although he has had a few run- in’s with the law, perticuarly with Officer Figard, which will be a non-issue moving forward. If you’ve read the first issue, you know why. With Joe, it’s all about the family, well, and Mrs Gearheart, the elderly neighbor that bakes cookies for them from time to time...

This book is really personal for writer Justin Jordan, he actually comes from a small broken town like York Hills, he’s stated in interviews that he was already working on this story for a creative owned project when approached by Dc, I definitely get a sort of Vertigo vibe from this book. Phillip Tan’s art is gritty, thin lines, not heavy on the inks, it definitely fits with the tone they’re going for. Rain Beredo’s colors really popped during Joe/Brimstone’s transformation, hell on earth fo real...

Lastly, the Salesman, a really intriguing character, and Joe’s main antagonist. I’m curious to find out how his curse came to be, and who it is behind the scenes (The Home Office) that he answers to. He sold Joe a dream, with a handshake from Hell. And Joe, desperate to make a change and better his surroundings, took the deal, and might have actually made things worse (if that’s at all possible) for York Hills...

BRIMSTONE!!!!!
    Last edited by DIVINITY; 04-15-2018 at 11:10 PM.
    #MagnetoWasRight

CURSE OF BRIMSTONE #1
    Written by JUSTIN JORDAN • Art and cover by PHILIP TAN

Joe Chamberlain would do anything to save his small, forgotten town—even make a deal with the devil. But things get worse, and Joe finds himself cursed with the power of BRIMSTONE. With the power of fire and destruction coursing through his hands, Joe must now track down and destroy the demon he made his deal with before the power he now wields destroys the town he was trying to save. But as the fiery pain inside him grows, can this young man overcome his own demons before his power rips him apart from the inside out?

ADVANCE SOLICITED • On sale APRIL 4*• 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • FOLDOUT COVER • RATED T

Wasn’t released until 4/11. This books original release date had been changed multiple times.

Whatever the cause, it was definitely worth the wait.(4.5/5)
    Last edited by DIVINITY; 04-15-2018 at 11:12 PM.
    #MagnetoWasRight

Mighty Member

Loved it. It was weird for me to see a DC book set in a small southern town. I'm so used to the big cities, so this is refreshing.

@Divnity Did you create that gif. It's awesome.
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K

Something of interest from the 1st issue...

The Salesman, talks about making these deals before, I’m wondering now if maybe there might be more agents (like The Hound) still out there that Joe might be able to connect with, to help him with coping with his curse. Easier said than done, especially if these other agents are already working for the Salesman. Annie can definitely help with a support system, but her burden is already heavy. Joe’s decision will ultimately effect the family dynamic moving forward...
    #MagnetoWasRight

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Black View Post
    Loved it. It was weird for me to see a DC book set in a small southern town. I'm so used to the big cities, so this is refreshing.

@Divnity Did you create that gif. It's awesome.
    I loved the first issue as well. My only real gripe, since they took the creator-owned approach, why not pad the first issue a bit, give us 30 pg #1’s...

That Gif is awesome, not my creation tho, I found it online...
    #MagnetoWasRight

CURSE OF BRIMSTONE #2
    What do you do after you unknowingly make a deal with the devil that transforms you into Brimstone, and you can’t stop the constant feeling of screaming, fiery pain burning from head to toe? Joe Chamberlain is determined to relieve himself of this curse by tracking the devil by his tail. That is, if the devil’s Hound doesn’t get to him first… On sale MAY 2 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T
    Last edited by DIVINITY; 04-15-2018 at 06:58 PM.
    #MagnetoWasRight

THE CURSE OF BRIMSTONE #3

It’s tragic enough that Brimstone’s town was set on fire by his own hands, but now…his father?! Turning Joe into Brimstone was just for fun—the Salesman now holds Joe’s father hostage as well! Brimstone must fight the Salesman’s ice creaturess, the Hound, to save his father from her clutches. But without knowing exactly what his fiery powers wield, how can Brimstone be sure he won’t accidentally destroy another town…or himself?
    On sale JUNE 6 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T
    #MagnetoWasRight

The Chamberlains...(Joe & Annie)

#MagnetoWasRight

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

I really loved this one and I wasn't expecting how much I would. I actually live in a town that suffered through an era of financial problems that boiled down to several disasters, coupled with the rise of malls, some massively bad business decision and some fiscal mismanagement. It took a lot of years and some luck to even get the town back on its feet again so I well understand Joe's desire to do anything to help his town.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Quote Originally Posted by JasonTodd428 View Post
    I really loved this one and I wasn't expecting how much I would. I actually live in a town that suffered through an era of financial problems that boiled down to several disasters, coupled with the rise of malls, some massively bad business decision and some fiscal mismanagement. It took a lot of years and some luck to even get the town back on its feet again so I well understand Joe's desire to do anything to help his town.
    Joe/Brimstone is definitely the most relatable character of the bunch...(NAOH)
    #MagnetoWasRight

Curse of Brimstone Early Concept Art

#MagnetoWasRight

BANNED

is this the same character from Firestorm? he looks so sick

The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
    is this the same character from Firestorm? he looks so sick
    No he's not Brimstone is a totally different character.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

It's mostly a repeat of what I said in the main Dark Matter thread, but it's worth reposting it here.

Curse of Brimstone is one of the best recent introduction of a new character in my eyes, with Kong Kenan (and the JLC in general), The Silencer and, more recently, Viking Judge. The Curse really did a classic take on the origin, presenting the hero before the powers, his background and all, but it did it so well, with some serious work on the background characters, how Joe Chamberlain is both a good hearted kid and also someone drowning slowly in despair and anger as the state of his town keep deteriorating and his little sister seems to be cursed to the same aimless existence as himself. It's really visceral, but you feel for him, and understand why he took the Salesman's offer. Speaking of whom, that guy is both creepy and ominous, but also kind of darkly funny, and his Hound seems to be some serious trouble for our cursed protagonist. Here, we got everything we needed to know about Joe, his town, why he'll fight his foes and how hard it'll be for him. In one issue. It's really great.