Page 34 of 44 FirstFirst ... 24303132333435363738 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Black View Post
    Attachment 63487

I'm assuming that Isabella is upset about the Detective Comics announcement.

I think he needs to realize that this is common. Okay sure, he's protective over his creation. But when other people write him, they aren't going to necessarily follow whatever blueprint you set. Especially if it doesn't fit with something that a current writer is doing or wants to do. Those are just the facts.

I mean yes, his Black Lightning mini is awesome to me. But I feel that he took a lot away.

Examples: Making Black Lightning younger. I liked the idea of a older, wiser BL. It's something we don't see a lot. I love having different perspectives.

He no longer has his daughters. They made Anissa and Jennifer his cousins instead.

Tobias Whale is no longer an albino.
    kinda hoping that this these will be restored...

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by vasir12 View Post
    kinda hoping that this these will be restored...
    They kinda have to be.

They kinda have to be.
    Not saying I disagree entirely, but why do you think?

Unless they are walking back their new label distinctions, Cold Dead Hands is considered canon in universe and all changes in it should show across all books Black Lightning shows up in. I'd personally be disappointed if those changes were walked back, especially after they went out of their way to write about they mended ties with Isabella and how excited they were to have him back.

He created the character but he wants Black Lightning to be younger than where most media are comfortable portraying him.
    I mean I get it BL getting older and having a family was not something he did but it works and he shouldn't go out of his way to try and move away from that

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Attachment 63487

I'm assuming that Isabella is upset about the Detective Comics announcement.

I think he needs to realize that this is common. Okay sure, he's protective over his creation. But when other people write him, they aren't going to necessarily follow whatever blueprint you set. Especially if it doesn't fit with something that a current writer is doing or wants to do. Those are just the facts.

I mean yes, his Black Lightning mini is awesome to me. But I feel that he took a lot away.

Examples: Making Black Lightning younger. I liked the idea of a older, wiser BL. It's something we don't see a lot. I love having different perspectives.

He no longer has his daughters. They made Anissa and Jennifer his cousins instead.

Tobias Whale is no longer an albino.
    If this is about detective, he is overreacting. DC already went above and beyond having him involved in the tv show as well as letting him write a new black lightning mini series.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    If this is about detective, he is overreacting. DC already went above and beyond having him involved in the tv show as well as letting him write a new black lightning mini series.
    I hope it's not about Detective. That direction should be perfect for BL.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Black Lightning View Post
    Not saying I disagree entirely, but why do you think?
    Because those things have been mainstays for years.

Astonishing Member

They kinda have to be.
    If Isabella doesn't do consistent work with DC after this mini and continue to solidify his current portrayal, I give it 3 years before they retcon Pierce back to all his most famous elements. Isabella's model is radically opposed to what the majority of people have seen and have come to want, and it's only a matter of time before his model is phased out.

The real question is how Isabella will respond to his vision being rejected. It could spell a new era of limbo for Black Lightning or him giving DC free reign to use the character.
    Last edited by chief12d; 03-19-2018 at 01:20 PM.

Judging by how popular the show is. I think they'll retcon most of the stuff from the mini. One of my good friends is an albino and she was pretty bummed that Tobias wasn't albino in the mini.
    Great points & hopefully the the fix's come in asap..

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    This^^
    Last edited by 4sake Baned; 03-19-2018 at 01:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    He created the character but he wants Black Lightning to be younger than where most media are comfortable portraying him.
    I mean I get it BL getting older and having a family was not something he did but it works and he shouldn't go out of his way to try and move away from that

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    If Isabella
    doesn't do consistent work with DC after this mini and continue to solidify his current portrayal, I give it 3 years before they retcon Pierce back to all his most famous elements. Isabella's model is radically opposed to what the majority of people have seen and have come to want, and it's only a matter of time before his model is phased out.

The real question is how Isabella will respond to his vision being rejected. It could spell a new era of limbo for Black Lightning or him giving DC free reign to use the character.
    Very true & when they bring everything back he most certainly does not need to be given free reign the use BL.. Time to move on & write something esle imo

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    If Isabella doesn't do consistent work with DC after this mini and continue to solidify his current portrayal, I give it 3 years before they retcon Pierce back to all his most famous elements. Isabella's model is radically opposed to what the majority of people have seen and have come to want, and it's only a matter of time before his model is phased out.

I highly doubt that'd be the case. I'm sure a deal was struck to avoid something like that ever happening again. DC is investing in this character big time. Network TV series, animation, video game appearance, collecting past series, a current miniseries, a crossover with Hanna-Barbera and a focus in Detective Comics. Isabella is getting a heaping amount of notoriety according to his blog site and the proper creator credit. And I'm sure he's being compensated to some extent.

I don't see a need for Jefferson to be older. He was in his prime when he originated alongside Superman, Flash, Green Arrow, etc. just like they were. Why should he be older now while everyone else is still relatively young. Anissa & Jennifer could still be done. They'd just be younger like the Supersons. It works for Injustice!

If they decide to keep things as is, I'm fine either way. Just looking to Bryan Hill to carry the torch now.

I highly doubt that'd be the case. I'm sure a deal was struck to avoid something like that ever happening again. DC is investing in this character big time. Network TV series, animation, video game appearance, collecting past series, a current miniseries, a crossover with Hanna-Barbera and a focus in Detective Comics. Isabella is getting a heaping amount of notoriety according to his blog site and the proper creator credit. And I'm sure he's being compensated to some extent.

I don't see a need for Jefferson to be older. He was in his prime when he originated alongside Superman, Flash, Green Arrow, etc. just like they were. Why should he be older now while everyone else is still relatively young. Anissa & Jennifer could still be done. They'd just be younger like the Supersons. It works for Injustice!

If they decide to keep things as is, I'm fine either way. Just looking to Bryan Hill to carry the torch now.
    If Anissa and Jennifer were younger, and still his daughters, that would be fine. Even in the same generation as Jon and Damian, that would be okay.

But in the current mini, they were made into Jefferson's cousins, and that's one of the things a lot of people, myself included, aren't exactly thrilled about.

BANNED

Anissa & Jennifer could still be done. They'd just be younger like the Supersons.
    Two problems there. For one, as said above, Isabella made it so they aren't even his daughters anymore. And second, if they're that young, unless you want to de-age Grace Choi too, you lose her and Anissa's relationship.

still waiting for him to show up in some team books or major DC events
    The J-man