Page 42 of 44 FirstFirst ... 3238394041424344 LastLast

The Black Lightning-centric arc of Detective Comics starting at #983 has begun!

It was a good introduction to the arc. Seems Jefferson is operating out of Metropolis.

They showed an impressive feat by Jeff, too.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

My wife and I are 7 episodes into the TV show. I'm not as entrenched with BL as some other characters. Literally just about everything I know with some certanity is displayed thus far: wife Lynn, daughters Anissa and Jennifer, the 100, Tobias Whale & murdered dad. The only contradictory thing is that it takes place in Freeland(heavy handed much?) instead of Metropolis. In my wiki read I found out Peter Gambi is also an existing comics character. Is Lady Eve? I didn't see info on her.

I wonder if the comics will introduce Freeland as a new base for Jefferson Pierce going forward. Do the cross media symmetry thing that sometimes happens. It is obvious why he's not in Metropolis from a "real world" perspective.

My only exposure to BL has typically been guest appearances in other books. What runs would die hard BL fans recommend?
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Just popping in to say I finished watching the show a little while ago with my girlfriend. We both loved it and it exceeded my expectations. I'm not sure if the writing, acting, or source material (perhaps all 3) is to be credited for making those CW "drama talks" feel organic and actually connected to the plots. Jefferson as a community leader and mentor to children really stood out and set him apart from other street-level vigilante heroes. The family dynamic is also nice. It's refreshing to see very mature and emotionally intelligent parents in a cohesive family that makes it a point to spend time and talk together. Not everyone has one, but everyone should aspire to emulate one, and broken homes are a common enough trope.

My only critiques would be that the MAGA stuff was too in-your-face and inappropriate at times, and that the suit could use some work; it looks too plastic and corny. But generally the social themes were fitting and suited the characters without dominating the episodes.

DCTV Black Lightning figure for 2019!

Mighty Member

I haven't been feeling Black Lightning in this Batman arc at all. He's just playing the role of the babysitter. He doesn't seem confident or sure about anything. BL is simply just there. And it doesn't seem like Outsiders is happening at any point. So meh. At least I have YJ and BL S2 to look forward to.
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K

The Best There Is berserkerclaw's Avatar

Didnt like this version of BL. Hope in the ongoing he feels more confident. I hope Batman doesnt overshadow the team with his presents. I dont want him in the field. He should give Jeff missions then let Jeff be the boss
    X-Men Forever

So should Black Lightning be a “street level” hero or a very high powered meta? This new Outsiders seems very street level.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    So should Black Lightning be a “street level” hero or a very high powered meta? This new Outsiders seems very street level.
    Always street level (unless he’s with the JL) Otherwise, what’s the point?

Black Lightning is a mid tier borderline top tier in terms of strength and ability. Very easy to write him fro street level or Justice League level stuff with his powersett. His focus should be on the betterment of his community and school etc that is true to his character. But he should still be present in those world shattering events.

Detective Comics played out about as well as I thought it would. It's a Bat book and end of the day thats the focus Batman's going to be the man for better or worse towards the other characters. I actually think Batman's supporting characters came out worse for this than anyone else. Didn't love the way Jefferson was brought into this or how it was kind of given to him at the end. Would have preferred a more organic formation or something more on his terms/creation.
    The J-man

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    Black Lightning is a mid tier borderline top tier in terms of strength and ability. Very easy to write him fro street level or Justice League level stuff with his powersett. His focus should be on the betterment of his community and school etc that is true to his character. But he should still be present in those world shattering events.
    I agree with this.

Hill had 5 issues to get the ball rolling on this in a Batman book. It was easy to see that he was elevating Black Lightning while at the same time not minimizing the lead character in his own book. Imagine the complaints. I'm good with how it was handled.

So now were getting the continuation of this story and cast in a book that doesn't have to yield to the Batman to the extent that it did. Which wasn't a negative thing to begin with.

Hill is one of the best writers on the scene right now and the praise all across the board cements that. I have no doubts about him knocking this out the park. And Dexter Soy on art?!? This is gonna be good!

Astonishing Member

Tony Isabella isn't happy
    https://twitter.com/thetonyisabella
    Educational town, Rolemodel city and Moralofthestory land are the places where good comics go to die.

DC writers and editors looked up and shouted "Save us!"
    And Alan Moore looked down and whispered "No."

I'm kinda surprised Snyder didn't want Superman to watch Lois and Bruce conceive their love child. All the while singing the "Na na na na na na Batman!" theme song - Robotman, 03/06/2021

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Myskin View Post
    So what is it? He doesn't want anyone else to write the character? Personally I didn't like the direction he used in Cold Dead Hands. He needs to move on.

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    So what is it? He doesn't want anyone else to write the character? Personally I didn't like the direction he used in Cold Dead Hands. He needs to move on.
    Totally agreed. I used to sympathize with Isabella but now it’s gotten to the point where he needs to step aside. He clearly doesn’t want anyone else to write BL but that’s the only way the character will grow. He doesn’t like the idea of Jeff being a little older and having daughters, which has become a great addition to the character.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Myskin View Post
    I actually agree with him.
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K