Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    In no order:

Richard Corben
    Simon Bisley
    Dave McKean
    I love all three gentlemen's work, but when I think about their 'iconic' moments, I never really consider Hellblazer. It's not that their work on HB wasn't excellent, but it never associates in my head with a definitive vision of John. With Corben, I immediately jump to Den. With McKean, it's his Sandman covers. Bisley, it's Slaine. (I'd also throw Steve Dillon in here-- I think about Preacher or Judge Dredd.)

Even though Sean Phillips has gone on to do work that is better on a quality level since HB, I still think of his HB work first.

It's strange how a particular artist's depiction of a particular character can imprint so strongly on your conception of them to the extent that it almost becomes difficult to consider other artist's depictions. And I consider myself a pretty open-minded guy to different artistic styles.

Out of interest, has anyone read Denise Mina's Red Right Hand Hellblazer Graphic Novel? I picked it up on a whim (mainly because Nick Cave and the Bad Seed's Red Right Hand is among my favourite songs and they happened to share the name) when I was in London's Forbidden Planet in December last year and really enjoyed it when I read it, and if anyone has got a copy of this, It'd be great to know your opinions.

I see they are finally going to start collecting the 85 - 128 issues this is the only chunk left of Hellblazer I am missing so I am going to grab it if it is good or bad. I am wondering if this was a bad run and that is why it was not collected? Love Hellblazer one of the best series ever and hopefully it can return some day this tread makes me want to dig out the books and start reading it again from the start.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by FanboyStranger View Post
    I love all three gentlemen's work, but when I think about their 'iconic' moments, I never really consider Hellblazer. It's not that their work on HB wasn't excellent, but it never associates in my head with a definitive vision of John. With Corben, I immediately jump to Den. With McKean, it's his Sandman covers. Bisley, it's Slaine. (I'd also throw Steve Dillon in here-- I think about Preacher or Judge Dredd.)

Even though Sean Phillips has gone on to do work that is better on a quality level since HB, I still think of his HB work first.

It's strange how a particular artist's depiction of a particular character can imprint so strongly on your conception of them to the extent that it almost becomes difficult to consider other artist's depictions. And I consider myself a pretty open-minded guy to different artistic styles.
    I was thinking that too, especially McKean for Sandman. There doesn't seem to be a "definitive" Hellblazer artist, the closest thing is Steve Bisette, but that was Swamp Thing.

Quote Originally Posted by BaneofKings View Post
    Out of interest, has anyone read Denise Mina's Red Right Hand Hellblazer Graphic Novel? I picked it up on a whim (mainly because Nick Cave and the Bad Seed's Red Right Hand is among my favourite songs and they happened to share the name) when I was in London's Forbidden Planet in December last year and really enjoyed it when I read it, and if anyone has got a copy of this, It'd be great to know your opinions.
    Yeah, I didn't really like it myself.
    BB

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Dredd View Post
    I see they are finally going to start collecting the 85 - 128 issues this is the only chunk left of Hellblazer I am missing so I am going to grab it if it is good or bad. I am wondering if this was a bad run and that is why it was not collected? Love Hellblazer one of the best series ever and hopefully it can return some day this tread makes me want to dig out the books and start reading it again from the start.
    Jenkins' run is good, though a bit rocky at first.
    I'm still unsure when they hadn't collected it before. I guess Jenkins' name doesn't sell as well as the other writers'.
    BB

What we do is secret Oskar Von Strange's Avatar

I've always liked John Ridgway's art, too. I've never understood why people don't. It's the artists that come after Ridgway that are questionable, even if some of them, like Bachalo and Buckingham, eventually blossomed into great artists in their own right.
    I've always love that ugliness and somewhat "amateurish" quality to it, in a good way. If that make any sense.

Well my first Hellblazer story was the "Suicide Bridge" annual and I fell in love with Bizley's art. I mean I've seen Biz art in other works, but that seeing that annual was absolutely perfect for my tastes.
    Currently reading:Creepy, Eerie, The Goddamned, The Goon, Haunted Horror, Hellboy, King Conan, Last Gang in Town, Sherrif of Babylon, Stray Bullets, Usagi Yojimbo, Weird Love

I know this is 'slightly' off topic, and a case of 'why bother talking about it because it will never happen', but...

They REALLY missed a bet when they didn't make a Hellblazer movie back in the 80's or 90's, starring the inspiration for the character, Sting. It's hard for me now to remember that he was the model for John, since they don't bother trying to make him look like Sting anymore and haven't for quite a while.

There's a movie called "Stormy Monday" with Sting playing a character that has a JC air about him, though not exact. Really makes me think about what could have been...

Vertigo Psychonaut ChaoticScholar's Avatar

Reading the republished Ennis/Dillion run. Good stuff, but for the sake of living space, I'm stopping after Rake at the Gates.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by elect1cgoblin View Post
    I know this is 'slightly' off topic, and a case of 'why bother talking about it because it will never happen', but...

They REALLY missed a bet when they didn't make a Hellblazer movie back in the 80's or 90's, starring the inspiration for the character, Sting. It's hard for me now to remember that he was the model for John, since they don't bother trying to make him look like Sting anymore and haven't for quite a while.

There's a movie called "Stormy Monday" with Sting playing a character that has a JC air about him, though not exact. Really makes me think about what could have been...
    I dunno, I think it would have been really campy if they did it in the 80s.
    Last edited by Kid A; 05-02-2014 at 05:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Batson View Post
    Jenkins' run is good, though a bit rocky at first.
    I'm still unsure when they hadn't collected it before. I guess Jenkins' name doesn't sell as well as the other writers'.
    It was coming out before the Vertigo tpb revolution really started. Vertigo didn't really start putting everything in collected editions until the success of 100 Bullets. (Transmet is really the book that changed the way they approached things, but 100 Bullets was the book that cemented it as policy.)

Quote Originally Posted by BaneofKings View Post
    Mina's run is the worst of the major HB runs, but they are still decent comics overall. Just not in comparison with the rest of HB.

Nothing with Leo Manco art can truly be bad, in my opinion.

It was coming out before the Vertigo tpb revolution really started. Vertigo didn't really start putting everything in collected editions until the success of 100 Bullets. (Transmet is really the book that changed the way they approached things, but 100 Bullets was the book that cemented it as policy.)
    Ah yes. I've seen you mentioning that before. They did go back to collect most of Delano's and Ennis' run later, though.
    BB

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Batson View Post
    Ah yes. I've seen you mentioning that before. They did go back to collect most of Delano's and Ennis' run later, though.
    Yes, it took quite some time, though. They seem committed to collecting the whole series now, though.

Mina's run is the worst of the major HB runs, but they are still decent comics overall. Just not in comparison with the rest of HB.

Nothing with Leo Manco art can truly be bad, in my opinion.
    I still remember issue #233 being as one of the dullest issues I've read along with the rest of her run. Manco was a saving grace indeed and at least he got to do great run with Diggle.
    BB